LaunchBox Community Forums

2 x zero delay encoders showing as one

SteveB69

Hi, I've paid up for the one year and am having an issue with my 2 x zero delay encoders. Both work fine in everything but in LB / BB  which fails to identify which zero delay encoder it is coming through so regardless if I map Button 1 on zero delay encoder 1 it becomes Button 1 but if I map something else using Button 1 on zero delay encoder 2 it is labelled Button 1, no different identification so both buttons, whilst mapped to different controls do the same thing. Have googled & searched this but can't find any solutions?

Same boat here. On a couple cabinets I have similar encoders. No real work around right now. Thankfully those two cabinets I only use Mame so I make sure Mame is mapped as I want. Mame does see them as Joy1 and Joy2 so things inside Mame work fine. I am not sure if this is something @Jason Carr ever really looked into. So I will tag him just in case. Especially since he expanded the controller mapping options. 

Am I understanding correctly that you have a controller board that basically acts like two separate game controllers?

Assuming that is correct, I think the only way we would be able to manage something like that is to add controller-specific bindings to each option. That's possible, but it would be a fairly significant new feature to add.

Not sure if this is exactly the same as for the original poster.

I have two of these style encoders. Each is a unique usb plugged into the pc.  Windows sees them both only as "USB Generic Joystick". No numeric separation. In Mame they are seen as Joy1 and Joy2 so you can easily map player 1 and player 2 with no conflict. Launchbox however sees them as the same joystick. So for example the button I use for P1 start button,  LB sees it only as "Button 12". If I hit the start button on the P2 side LB sees it as well as only "Button 12".

Oh good, well at least I know it's not my setup.

Jason Carr, no not one controller board but 2 seperate boards, each plugged into it's own USB port. Windows see's both as USB Generic Joystick and in Mame / emulators they identify as Joy 1 or Joy 2, but in launchbox there's no numeric identification.

I see. It's still the same issue. LaunchBox and Big Box don't currently make any distinction between inputs from different controllers, and we'd have to make significant changes to the interface and the backend to support that. Is there a reason why the controllers need to act as game controllers and not keyboard-based devices?

LaunchBox sees them as separate controllers as well, of course. Always has. But there's no way to map controllers differently between them currently in LaunchBox. Which, I suppose, in most cases is fine, because it just means that player 2 will have the same controls as player 1. But if you want it to work differently, that's not currently supported.

On 11/7/2019 at 9:45 PM, Jason Carr said:

LaunchBox sees them as separate controllers as well, of course. Always has. But there's no way to map controllers differently between them currently in LaunchBox. Which, I suppose, in most cases is fine, because it just means that player 2 will have the same controls as player 1. But if you want it to work differently, that's not currently supported.

Jason it doesn't affect gaming as the controllers are set up via the emulator running them, what it affects are the controls for LB/BB ie I have 2 buttons on my cab that are mapped to Volume Up & Volume Down. The way I have done my wiring is that both my volume buttons are connected to Button 8 & obviously I can't use button 8 for both Vol up & down.
So it would have been nice to have Page Up & Page Down mapped to my 2 player buttons but I can't because these buttons are already mapped to player one controls.

Shame & strange considering every emulator out there & windows picks these up as seperate encoders.

LB sees them as separate too the issue is that LB only takes commands from one controller so if you had one Zero Delay and one XBox controller you still couldn't map them separately they would still do the same thing. In other words you can't map separate functions to different controllers

• Like 2