LaunchBox Community Forums

Controller mapping pause themes?

atc500x

8 hours ago, Retro808 said:

I will post this on Tuesday. I really did not tweak it much so pretty much looks as the images show. Sorry for the delay, but have not been home for a few days to access my pc. 

Remember this will only be a functional theme with no media. Any control images I have are unique to my set up and they all have logos made specifically for my cabinets. So not going to redo the thousands of images. This theme will allow to drop your images in the appropriate folders and as long as the images are named as your games/rom files or as the platform is named it should display them easily.    

That sounds awesome to me :)

Cheers, looking forward to it!

My Pause Screens are finished but I'll likely wait a week or two to release them until I'm finished with the matching bezels, and release everything together. Here is a preview of a couple bezels (Both Xbox and DS4 versions, all 4K):

1835733046_ArcadeClassics_Xbox.thumb.png.dc665f3a39c9b710a296b384f50360f5.png550225429_ArcadeClassics_DS4.thumb.png.b986d4a5e3d8c3aa563ab783eb2bff45.png2092730475_ArcadeClassics.thumb.png.2319b8d441bbec0bcbb04b2eb74a98dd.png1734359913_Atari2600_Xbox.thumb.png.f0dc9366ed2d6043e920d7f6845b5082.png1163655656_Atari2600_DS4.thumb.png.8fad5c2b0e2ea158ee2bba51f9def390.png987517033_Atari2600.thumb.png.e9516e5891363fdc91e062a450dbd80f.png

Edited by OhBoy
  • Like 2
  • Unusual Gem 1

2 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

@OhBoy Is this part of a Pause Theme and Startup Theme or just images to be used in them?

Just images used in them, currently I'm just using them as device images and have the default pause theme's background pointing to the device image folder for each platform.

• Like 1

Was testing the theme a bit with the fullscreen images from @OhBoy and realized the inset image style in the first pics does not do it justice since it makes some of his outer edge text a bit small. So figure why not also make a fullscreen version. Just a simple text for the menu options and the image. Been kind of slacking on this so my apologies. I will get this one zipped up and type up how the folder structure needs to be and post it, then get the other one done.

Screen Shot 2020-02-09 at 6.20.27 PM.png

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Retro808 said:

Was testing the theme a bit with the fullscreen images from @OhBoy and realized the inset image style in the first pics does not do it justice since it makes some of his outer edge text a bit small. So figure why not also make a fullscreen version. Just a simple text for the menu options and the image. Been kind of slacking on this so my apologies. I will get this one zipped up and type up how the folder structure needs to be and post it, then get the other one done.

Screen Shot 2020-02-09 at 6.20.27 PM.png

Thank you! This will be so awesome, I’ll release the backgrounds tomorrow morning. :)

Here's the theme. @Retro808 feel free to include everything in your theme if you want. Your theme appears to be better than mine, since it uses a custom image location instead of the "device" image path, which mine uses. I'm not too familiar with theme development, so I'll definitely be using your theme once it's finished lol.

Edited by OhBoy

1 hour ago, OhBoy said:

Here's the theme. @Retro808 feel free to include everything in your theme if you want. Your theme appears to be better than mine, since it uses a custom image location instead of the "device" image path, which mine uses. I'm not too familiar with theme development, so I'll definitely be using your theme once it's finished lol.

I appreciate that. If I do I will be sure to tag you for credit and link to the download of the direct images.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

This is exactly what I have been looking for, but I am not able to get it to function properly.  I have installed the theme under "PauseThemes" and then selected it for Launchbox and BigBox. I followed the naming convention for the image directories, but when I hit the Pause buttons, the game just pauses and the image does not appear.  I am only using MAME and the platform is listed as Arcade.  I have tried with the game name and the rom name.  The platform image does not come up either.  In BigBox, show Pause Screen is enabled.  I have tried this with JPG and PNG images making the appropriate changes for PNG in the XAML file.  What else could I be missing.

Thanks for any help and also thanks for the time you have contributed to this theme!

20 minutes ago, Cupanther said:

This is exactly what I have been looking for, but I am not able to get it to function properly.  I have installed the theme under "PauseThemes" and then selected it for Launchbox and BigBox. I followed the naming convention for the image directories, but when I hit the Pause buttons, the game just pauses and the image does not appear.  I am only using MAME and the platform is listed as Arcade.  I have tried with the game name and the rom name.  The platform image does not come up either.  In BigBox, show Pause Screen is enabled.  I have tried this with JPG and PNG images making the appropriate changes for PNG in the XAML file.  What else could I be missing.

Thanks for any help and also thanks for the time you have contributed to this theme!

Do any other Pause Themes work? You mention the game just pauses. Not sure if you mean it just pauses and you still see the game just in a paused state or you can see the LB/BB pause menu options but the controller image is not showing.

Can you post a pic of what you see?

If it is not even showing the LaunchBox/BigBox pause menu option then you either have not set a key/button to activate Pause or your emulator binding is conflicting.

I could post a picture, but it is just an image of the running game paused.  I am using a controller and not a keyboard.  I mapped the pause screen under the controller mappings.  I did not map anything under the keyboard mapping.  I just tried the keyboard mapping and it does nothing with the controller buttons.

13 minutes ago, Cupanther said:

I could post a picture, but it is just an image of the running game paused.  I am using a controller and not a keyboard.  I mapped the pause screen under the controller mappings.  I did not map anything under the keyboard mapping.  I just tried the keyboard mapping and it does nothing with the controller buttons.

Yeah they are each unique depending on what you use to control you games and LB/BB.

Do you have the same button (or buttons) you are using as the Pause in LB/BB set as the same buttons to pause that are set directly in Mame?

I switched to the default Pause Theme and the same thing happens, juts the MAME game pauses with the game still on the screen.  This is another issue that apparently has nothing to do with your theme.  Any suggestions on what could cause this behavior?

46 minutes ago, Cupanther said:

I switched to the default Pause Theme and the same thing happens, juts the MAME game pauses with the game still on the screen.  This is another issue that apparently has nothing to do with your theme.  Any suggestions on what could cause this behavior?

Is this when using LaunchBox or BigBox? Or both?

What Mame are you using (standard command line Mame or something like MameUI or Arcade64)?

6 hours ago, Cupanther said:

I set the default theme on BIgBox.  I am using MameUI64 version 178.

Can you test in LaunchBox. First confirm in >Tools>Options>Game Pause that Pause Key is set to "P". Then run a mame game from Launchbox and hit the "P" key on your keyboard. Does it just pause the game or does it bring up the LaunchBox pause screen and menu?

OK.  I set the "P" key to pause in LaucnhBox and the theme set to default.  When I press "P", the game just pauses, no menu.  I then set the pause key to "W" just to make sure there was not a conflict with the MAME pause key being "P".  When in the game and I press "W", nothing happens.  "P" will still pause the game, but that is the way MAME is configured to pause.  It is like LauchBox is not seeing the key press.

6 minutes ago, Cupanther said:

OK.  I set the "P" key to pause in LaucnhBox and the theme set to default.  When I press "P", the game just pauses, no menu.  I then set the pause key to "W" just to make sure there was not a conflict with the MAME pause key being "P".  When in the game and I press "W", nothing happens.  "P" will still pause the game, but that is the way MAME is configured to pause.  It is like LauchBox is not seeing the key press.

It should not matter if Mame is set to "P". I Just checked and that is how mine is set and it works fine.

Try going into the \Launchbox\Data folder and remove the InputBinding.xml (do not delete it, jut move it out of that folder for now). Do this with LB closed. Then when you restart LB it will generate a new xaml and you will have to reconfigure the controls. There are a few older threads with similar issues and this seemed to fix the issue. Not for all but some. So worth a try. Also set Mame pause back to "P" and test that way to confirm.