LaunchBox Community Forums

Controller mapping pause themes?

atc500x

Does anyone know if someone has made a pause theme that shows controller mapping for the system you are on? I use my setup to play with friends and family and while I have the controller mappings pretty well down, it'd be cool to have a quick pause reference to avoid the "wait, I thought the triangle was the y button?" issues.... 

If no one else has made one maybe I will try my hand at it, but i've never made anything for launchbox so it would be a learning experience....

Edited by atc500x
  • Like 1

Awhile back I brought up the idea of being able to display *customized* controller mapping images for the pause screen by creating one new image folder in LB. This one user folder could just be called "custom" or something generic like that, and could be used for people creating various types of themes for LB.

I wanted people who were playing my arcade cabinet to be able to hit a button, and the pause screen would bring up an image that I had created to show them the specific controls for the game or the system (see below for an example of what I made for my setups). Whatever image in that folder is named the same as the current rom is what would be displayed, so the image could be anything you like.

I didn't get a lot of support on the idea, but maybe we can raise the discussion again if there's interest.

sonyplaystation_launching.jpg

This can easily be done. You really do not need a custom folder. Just use the Arcade - Controls Information folder for this (slight downside is that Mame images will override any custom you make, I just do not download those). Would be nice to have its own folder though. It can also also be done by platform as well. That way in the case of like NES no need to make an image for each game. I have a theme that does this on my daughter's cabinet. Never released it since many of the added layer images are custom for her.  I could probably clean it of all that and release it. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Retro808 said:

This can easily be done. You really do not need a custom folder. Just use the Arcade - Controls Information folder for this (slight downside is that Mame images will override any custom you make, I just do not download those). Would be nice to have its own folder though. It can also also be done by platform as well. That way in the case of like NES no need to make an image for each game. I have a theme that does this on my daughter's cabinet. Never released it since many of the added layer images are custom for her.  I could probably clean it of all that and release it. 

Yes, ideally I was looking to have a folder created that isn't touched by any images by the database. Just an empty folder that can be used for any purpose the user or theme creators intend. I would hate to forget to uncheck the box during a metadata update and accidentally overwrite everything that I put in there.

As for system images, this is also how RetroPie works with launching (startup) images. First it searches for an image named the same as the rom. If it doesn't find that, it displays one for the platform if it's available.

Creating a startup theme that shows the controls for the game or system you're launching (pointing to a custom folder) would be a great feature for LB, which is why I want to see it integrated.

4 hours ago, GreenGriffon said:

Yes, ideally I was looking to have a folder created that isn't touched by any images by the database. Just an empty folder that can be used for any purpose the user or theme creators intend. I would hate to forget to uncheck the box during a metadata update and accidentally overwrite everything that I put in there.

As for system images, this is also how RetroPie works with launching (startup) images. First it searches for an image named the same as the rom. If it doesn't find that, it displays one for the platform if it's available.

Creating a startup theme that shows the controls for the game or system you're launching (pointing to a custom folder) would be a great feature for LB, which is why I want to see it integrated.

It can be done using a custom folder structure in the meantime. I will tweak a theme in the next few days (depending in work). Would require putting all the controller images in a custom folder structure and then the theme will point to it. Since it is not a coded binding built into LB the path would have to match what the theme is coded for. Or is someone decides they want a different path that person would need to edit the theme to point to that path. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Retro808 said:

It can be done using a custom folder structure in the meantime. I will tweak a theme in the next few days (depending in work). Would require putting all the controller images in a custom folder structure and then the theme will point to it. Since it is not a coded binding built into LB the path would have to match what the theme is coded for. Or is someone decides they want a different path that person would need to edit the theme to point to that path. 

Hey, if you manage to do that for us, that would be terrific and much appreciated!

Do you think it's currently possible to have it look for a game image, then if that doesn't exist, a default one for the system?

3 hours ago, GreenGriffon said:

Hey, if you manage to do that for us, that would be terrific and much appreciated!

Do you think it's currently possible to have it look for a game image, then if that doesn't exist, a default one for the system?

Yes. I currently have a version doing that. 

• Like 1

Some quick work done. Theme will show a game's specific controls if they exist. If not, it will default to a platform level control image. All images must be placed in a specific folder path. Not sure how quickly I will finish, but at least started on it. This is just a quick mock-up so it may change looks. The Xbox 1 controller images are not mine I just grabbed from from our forum to test with.

The structure will be something like:

For platform level controls \Images\Game Controls\[Platform Name.jpg] 

For game level controls \Images\Game Controls\[Platform Name]\[Game Name.jpg]

Screen Shot 2020-01-13 at 7.34.12 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-01-13 at 7.37.31 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-01-12 at 10.14.14 PM.png

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Retro808 said:

Some quick work done. Theme will show a game's specific controls if they exist. If not, it will default to a platform level control image. All images must be placed in a specific folder path. Not sure how quickly I will finish, but at least started on it. This is just a quick mock-up so it may change looks. The Xbox 1 controller images are not mine I just grabbed from from our forum to test with.

The structure will be something like:

For platform level controls \Images\Game Controls\[Platform Name.jpg] 

For game level controls \Images\Game Controls\[Platform Name]\[Game Name.jpg]

Awesomesauce! Please keep develoiping this Pause Theme. I have been wanting this in BigBox for a while now! Especially great for those of us that don't mind creating our own button images for our custom layouts.

8 hours ago, ItchyRobot said:

Awesomesauce! Please keep develoiping this Pause Theme. I have been wanting this in BigBox for a while now! Especially great for those of us that don't mind creating our own button images for our custom layouts.

I will definitely release it. It will likely just be minimal in detail like in the first images. The whole point of this pause would be to facilitate a quick look at game controls. Not meant for all kinds of game/platform detail. I was originally making marquees to show this, but now that we have pause I would rather my marquee be just for actual marquee images. 

1 hour ago, Retro808 said:

I will definitely release it. It will likely just be minimal in detail like in the first images. The whole point of this pause would be to facilitate a quick look at game controls. Not meant for all kinds of game/platform detail. I was originally making marquees to show this, but now that we have pause I would rather my marquee be just for actual marquee images. 

I agree, best to keep it to mainly just the controls. Users already have the game media thrown at them in most existing LB themes.

4 hours ago, Retro808 said:

I like that idea. Minimal is good many times

Anyone got a screen resolution with something other than 4:3 or 16:9 (1080p) they would be able test the theme. I made a 4:3 and 16:9 on 1080p that work fine. I want to make sure I can cover 4K resolutions. Mainly need testing because the vertical text, options text, and up/down arrow fading could possibly be off line in higher resolutions and most assuredly in a different aspect ratio. 

On 1/16/2020 at 10:20 AM, GreenGriffon said:

Wish I could help, but I don't use anything above 1080p at the moment.

No worries. 

I am going to mess with this a bit more today now that I have some time. I will probably release it as it currently looks above. So maybe next couple days.

Notes will be added as to the folder structure I set the theme up for. You an always use your own structure, but the code must be edited and the more layers you have the more difficult it will be to code. Something I may not be able to help with since my knowledge is beginner.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, it looks like we may have a couple of new options for showing custom controller layouts using pause themes soon. Thanks to all you guys making these, I'm looking forward too it ?
I really wish this was a feature built into Launchbox / BigBox somehow. I bet a lot of users would use it.

Edited by ItchyRobot

I will post this on Tuesday. I really did not tweak it much so pretty much looks as the images show. Sorry for the delay, but have not been home for a few days to access my pc. 

Remember this will only be a functional theme with no media. Any control images I have are unique to my set up and they all have logos made specifically for my cabinets. So not going to redo the thousands of images. This theme will allow to drop your images in the appropriate folders and as long as the images are named as your games/rom files or as the platform is named it should display them easily.    

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1