LaunchBox Community Forums

Launchbox will not run Retroarch game

Ceejus

On 1/19/2020 at 7:18 PM, Headrush69 said:

We need what fromlostdays requested and also, please state exactly what happens when you try to launch from LB. Absolutely nothing? Does it appear to try to start anything? 

Absolutely nothing happens : when clicking on "Play", the mouse pointer turns into the "loading circle" for a second and that's all.

11 minutes ago, Lordmonkus said:

Are your roms located in the path that contains any accented characters in it ? We have seen problems where any folder in the path with accented characters don't load games with the emulator via command line.

Actually yes, they are : C:\Users\Stéphane\LaunchBox\Games

Is there a way to change the ROMs path?

Edited by LazyBear

32 minutes ago, Lordmonkus said:

You would need to move the roms and re-point LB to them or do a quick re-import without re-downloading media, it will be pretty quick.

I am almost certain that accent in your folder path is the cause of the issue.

Just did it, but unfortunately, still the same...

Maybe Retroarch also needs to be installed in a path without accented characters. Or LaunchBox.

I think I'm about to give up. 

Probably Retroarch but I don't think it matters for LB.

What I believe the issue to be is Windows and how it handles command line parameters, it doesn't seem to like passing them when the file or paths have accents in them and all LB is doing is passing the tom to the emulator via command line. Try moving your Retroarch install to another folder path without an accent and see if that solves the issue.

5 hours ago, Lordmonkus said:

What I believe the issue to be is Windows and how it handles command line parameters, it doesn't seem to like passing them when the file or paths have accents in them and all LB is doing is passing the tom to the emulator via command line. Try moving your Retroarch install to another folder path without an accent and see if that solves the issue.

I will try that too, then. Thanks for helping!

• 1 month later...

I too am having problems, but I am importing the entire Tosek library from # to Z, you name it I have it, I will be going through each game and getting screen shots for the box title , and uploading all of my screenshots. This should be of an enormous help for those who are missing screenshots for each game, we are talking over 300,000 games so it will take  awhile. Both of my systems (In fact all 3 will have the Tosek library on them). That library itself includes hard to find Atari 8 Bit and Atari ST files that I recovered before I sold both Atari systems. Russ Campbell

On 1/21/2020 at 5:07 AM, Lordmonkus said:

I finally had some time to re-install everything in a path without accents, and it works just fine now. Thanks for all the help ! 

The last issue I'm experiencing now is that the Nintendo 64 core installed in retroarch (mupen64plus_libretro) doesn't appear in LaunchBox. As a result, the N64 games will run just fine from RetroArch but obviously not from LaunchBox. I've installed the 3 different RetroArch N64 cores available, but still, LaunchBox doesn't see any. Any tips ?

I've seen this issue from a few people recently and I am not sure what it causing it or the fix for it is beyond restarting Launchbox and / or Windows as well. It might be something for Jason to look into but it's not something I have ever experienced myself but it certainly seems to be popping up more lately for people.

Same issue here. I bought a license today and now I have this frustrating issue.

I can start retroarch from the commandline without a problem:

retroarch.exe  -L "L:\LaunchBox\Emulators\RetroArch\cores\fbneo_libretro.dll" "L:\LaunchBox\Games\Arcarde\..."

In launchbox nothing happens. I additionally disabled the "hide console option" to examine the output but it did not open.

5 hours ago, GermanC said:

Same issue here. I bought a license today and now I have this frustrating issue.

I can start retroarch from the commandline without a problem:

retroarch.exe  -L "L:\LaunchBox\Emulators\RetroArch\cores\fbneo_libretro.dll" "L:\LaunchBox\Games\Arcarde\..."

In launchbox nothing happens. I additionally disabled the "hide console option" to examine the output but it did not open.

Did you set up Nintendo 64 in the Associated Platforms tab of the emulator, and then set the correct core there?

8 hours ago, fromlostdays said:

Did you set up Nintendo 64 in the Associated Platforms tab of the emulator, and then set the correct core there?

This did the trick. I downloaded all cores and didn't verify the correct associations.  Thank you very much. ?