LaunchBox Community Forums

Launchbox will not run Retroarch game

Ceejus

I am at my wits end trying to get Launchbox to load anything using Retroarch as an emulator. I've come across countless threads with others experiencing the same issue, with some never actually being resolved and others with resolutions that did not work for me. Posting here as a last resort before I finally call it quits and uninstall everything.

Retroarch version 1.8.3

Installed cores: YabaSanshiro for Sega Saturn and Beetle PSX HW for Playstation

CoresScrn1.thumb.PNG.62be76ada2b4e1d3fbbeffa3dfa1a22d.PNGRetroarchScrn1.PNG.36be8aa9ed52f7e661d60f311039a446.PNGLaunchbox version 10.9

Installed emulators: Retroarch

LaunchScrn2.thumb.PNG.7bb70b399b22f7b2c998b6a883af84cb.PNGLaunchScrn1.thumb.PNG.4f41874487f872ccc0d02befc01a95fc.PNGAll games I have tried do nothing when clicked. I have even tried inserting -L "cores\(core).dll" into the Extra Command-Line Parameters and still nothing. It doesn't appear I am missing anything here. Let me know if more information is needed.

Thanks!

First, can you launch the games through Retroarch without launchbox. I don't do a lot of sega saturn but I use the psx hardware core with no problems. My guess is that it won't launch games through retroarch probably because you didn't put the bios, or the right bios, files in the retroarch/system folder. 

Like @fromlostdays said, make sure your games work in Retroarch on its own first. If they don't then make sure your bios are correct and you have compatible disk images.

11 minutes ago, Ceejus said:

I have even tried inserting -L "cores\(core).dll" into the Extra Command-Line Parameters and still nothing.

This will absolutely break things if it is put into the Associated Platforms window.

If your games are working through Retroarch on its own make sure that that you platform names match up, the platform the games are imported to and the one listed in the Associated Platforms need to match up.

Also make sure that you imported the correct files needed to be loaded by the emulator. Typically for CD based systems this is the .cue file and not the .bin files.

Thanks for the info on the BIOs! I put the renamed Saturn BIOs file in the Retroarch/system folder and it did the trick. I will test out Playstation shortly and report back.

Oddly, the standalone Yaba Sanshiro emulator runs the games I have just fine without any BIOs files in its directory.

8 minutes ago, Ceejus said:

Oddly, the standalone Yaba Sanshiro emulator runs the games I have just fine without any BIOs files in its directory.

It could have a built in HLE bios, YabaSanshiro is not as good of an emulator as the Mednefen / Beetle but it is faster so it's good for lower end hardware.

I prefer the Mednafen / Beetle core myself but it does require a better CPU to run.

So now the issue is actually Playstation. Game runs fine in Retroarch using Beetle PSX HW but does nothing when I try and run it with Retroarch in Launchbox. As fromlostdays pointed out, the names match up and the three necessary BIOs files (scph5500.bin, scph5501.bin, and scph5502.bin) are in the Retroarch/system folder. See setup below.

RetroarchScrn2.thumb.PNG.4cff75025ceefb3a0ccdea5074716db7.PNGPSXScrn1.thumb.PNG.ca6128063347e5ee111b99fb0bb24d7c.PNG

Ah, so that was the issue. I had only copied over the CUE file. I didn't actually realize the BIN files needed to be in the same directory with the CUE file. Apologies for these misses - I am new to emulators for disc-based consoles. In the past, I had only used emulators based on cartridge systems like Genesis and N64.

It works now! Thanks so much for the help. I may be interested in Sega Dreamcast emulating at some point. If there are any special notes to be aware of when setting it up that you're aware of, would be interested.

4 minutes ago, Ceejus said:

Apologies for these misses - I am new to emulators for disc-based consoles. In the past, I had only used emulators based on cartridge systems like Genesis and N64.

No worries at all.

Yeah when importing games the copy / move games is great for single file games but multi file games it's not so good. I just put my games where I want them and tell LB to leave them where they are.

Dreamcast is gonna be like other disk based emulators, they will in most cases require bios files but Redream does not, it has its own built in HLE bios and is very easy to use but at the same time it still lacks WinCE games support which cuts out a chunk of its library.

Interesting. Just checked the list of WinCE games and fortunately for me, none of them are any I ever played back in the day nor do I have any interest in.

Basically speaking though from what I gather:

1. Make sure the Launchbox Platform name matches the Associated Platform name within Retroarch

2. Make sure all the necessary BIOs files for the emulator are in the Retroarch/system folder

3. Make sure all the game's CUE and associated BIN files are in the same folder

Hi everyone!

I'm new here, and I've already read quite a lot about this "launchbox won't launch my retroarch games" topic, and I'm experiencing the same problem.

I've followed the tutorials, and tried every hints and troubleshooting advice I could find, but still not working for me so far.

I've installed the latest launchbox version, the latest retroarch version, the portable retroarch version, the older (win7 retroarch version). I've downloaded cores, my platform names are matching my associated platform names, the games run in retroarch without any problem, I've uninstalled everything, reinstalled everything, even did all of this again on a second computer, with the exact same disappointing results. The most frustrating of all is maybe the fact that there aren't any error messages, from Launchbox or Retroarch.

Everything seems allright, everything runs smoothly from retroarch, but Launchbox will not open any game on any platforms in retroarch. I'm considering buying the licensed version and use the bigbox interface, but of course, I need it to work first.

This message in a bottle is my last hope ! Thank you so much if you can help me out !

Be assured Launchbox runs Retroarch just fine, you should be using the most recent version of RA, there's no reason to use an older one. Do me a favor and take two screenshots:

Launchbox/Tools/Manage Emulators/Retroarch then screenshot the "Details" tab and the "Associated Platforms" tab.

Once I see the problem it shouldn't take long to fix at all, especially if you're able to launch games through Retroarch standalone.

Also, what is Retroarch portable?

7 hours ago, LazyBear said:

Everything seems allright, everything runs smoothly from retroarch, but Launchbox will not open any game on any platforms in retroarch.

We need what fromlostdays requested and also, please state exactly what happens when you try to launch from LB. Absolutely nothing? Does it appear to try to start anything? 

On 1/19/2020 at 7:03 PM, fromlostdays said:

Be assured Launchbox runs Retroarch just fine, you should be using the most recent version of RA, there's no reason to use an older one. Do me a favor and take two screenshots:

Launchbox/Tools/Manage Emulators/Retroarch then screenshot the "Details" tab and the "Associated Platforms" tab.

Once I see the problem it shouldn't take long to fix at all, especially if you're able to launch games through Retroarch standalone.

Also, what is Retroarch portable?

Hi, and thank you for your answer!

Here are the screenshots (in French, sorry).

Associated platform.png

details.png