LaunchBox Community Forums

Super Nintendo Import process skipping roms at import for no reason

neil9000

@Jason Carr, @C-Beats,

Upon the release on 10.10 i decided to make a fresh start and completely setup my Launchbox from scratch and trimming out systems i never touch. All going well as normal as i'm obviously very familiar with the program, that is however until i got to SNES.

What is happening is games are not being imported that are in my roms folder and are even listed in the "whats being imported" screen of the import wizard, let me demonstrate.

I am going to import 854 snes games.

55812300_Screenshot(238).thumb.png.72cf50449e49a8bb3f1347811c45fa31.pngI start the importer, choose to import files and high-lite the previously shown 854 games in the wizard.

1473081897_Screenshot(239).thumb.png.16743656ca370c5e230c5d059c890a88.pngContinue through the wizard until i get to the "Ready to Import" screen, as you can see i have highlighted F-Zero, Super Mario Kart and Super Mario World, which have been identified and are ready to import.

2113440041_Screenshot(240).thumb.png.710f19eaf09bf5ba32a82b1332eb3ac1.png1304889736_Screenshot(241).thumb.png.c478ced34c18a3c91abc107f4df50451.pngI then run the import, and after it is finished i only have 720 games imported, (I should point out this is a 1 game 1 rom set, so there are zero region or version duplicates, simply only one version of every game).

608716149_Screenshot(242).thumb.png.bcb9ef4be11b6d1be225eb8c84de7a7b.pngThen when i search my snes platform for F-Zero, Super Mario Kart or Super Mario World, which as i highlighted in previous images were there to be imported i get no hits at all.

78029714_Screenshot(243).thumb.png.56cc1e4197ea41470beb7bf6dda5ee11.png1016594194_Screenshot(244).thumb.png.c77b1d6f4fecde659109d4e84063726e.pngHowever if i delete the platform and re-import, but instead of using the default platform name of Super Nintendo Entertainment System i just call the platform SNES, games are imported just fine.

Showing the same 3 games in the "ready to import" window.

590943093_Screenshot(245).thumb.png.ce82956444a46f72f019d6071ebbf51e.png1245180515_Screenshot(246).thumb.png.cebcebf3b7a4ee95034780f9c8d3fb37.pngAnd i get the correct amount of games imported this time.

449757981_Screenshot(247).thumb.png.5d55d8ba465d89b1cff6bf24717872f1.pngAnd when searching for the previously missing F-Zero, Super Mario Kart and Super Mario World, i get hits as expected.

1114278280_Screenshot(248).thumb.png.037eb356b02215aab084ab0a0caf3d6a.png1322355728_Screenshot(249).thumb.png.6d692f8cfe730c486029d0526b6d789d.pngSo in conclusion this seems to be a pretty major bug in my eyes. Using the default name for the platform as suggested by Launchbox, and i'm guessing used by most users, does not import games correctly. Where as using anything other than the default name Launchbox provides, works as it should.

Edit:

I should add that i did the import with the default name several times during this test, and i actually got a different number imported each time. In the images provided i got 720 imported, but on another occasion it was 727.

• Like 1

Can atest to this as well, chatted to Monkus about this awhile back, and he had the same issue on a test. This is when i found out changing the sysyem name allowed all the games to import correctly. As Neil asked me if i still had this issue today.

This is not unique to SNES though, i had it happen on 2 other systems, but for the life of me i can't remember now which ones they were.

Edited by MadK9

First round of questions just so I can hopefully narrow down the search:

When typing in the custom platform name did you have anything selected as "Scrap As".

After importing with the correct name did you check that any of the roms had additional applications (curious if maybe a rom was mismatched under another title).

I tried importing F-Zero by itself after and got "0 games imported" even though it wasn't in launchbox when searched for. Its almost like its in the .xml file but not actually being displayed or searchable in launchbox. Oh and I have all the "hide media missing" options unchecked. 

image.png.3c1a50e17a6128aecba9fe848d71ef25.pngEmpty LB, Used Rom Selector Window. Used the default system name 'Super Nintendo Entertainment System'

i had an empty LB install i use for testing stuff and i didn't have my Licence key installed, and i used the rom add button, and mass selected the roms, i told it not to scrape the DB, and not to grab any media, selected the roms in the popup window and it installed everything it was supposed too.

image.thumb.png.934997acd56538c3be75a81de0928469.png

Main LB Install, Drag n Drop method.. Used the default system name 'Super Nintendo Entertainment System'

Installed the system by dragging and dropping all the roms, then using the popup window to select it as roms, and told it to scrape the db, no media selected. and missed over 450 games.

image.thumb.png.97154d9d1d3ebb6507136460e06b0935.pngimage.png.3c1a50e17a6128aecba9fe848d71ef25.png

(Forgot to turn logging on my main install, i'm just redoing it now, will take time as its scraping the db.)

Update: Second time adding to main, just the Importer this time, told it not to combine roms, scrape the db, no media scrape, kept to default system name.

image.png

MainLogs.7z

Ok think thats about as much as i can do here for now.

Super Nintendo Entertainment System- MAIN SYSTEM.xml Super Nintendo Entertainment System - TEST SYSTEM.xml TestLogs.7z

Edited by MadK9

55 minutes ago, C-Beats said:

When typing in the custom platform name did you have anything selected as "Scrap As".

When using the default name you dont get a "scrape as" when using a custom name i set the "scrape as" to the default name, so there shouldnt be any difference either way, they are both scraping as "Super Nintendo Entertainment System".

Ok tried again this in my main install and told it not to scrape the db, so it matched the fresh install. But yet again another different install ammount

image.thumb.png.0f2afacaf10c8b6bd89296244efd0810.pngimage.png.aeabcc4059216361a2ebf7808036fce8.png

Should clarify here, i reinstalled my windows just this morning so i know its not a system issue.

12 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

My first hunch here is that maybe it's combining games incorrectly? @neil9000 I assume you left the "Combine Games with Matching Titles" option checked? What happens if you uncheck that box and run your original test?

I tested that for @C-Beats when we chatted in discord, exactly the same outcome, around 150 games were skipped. As i said in my OP though this is a 1 game 1 rom set, so there are no games to combine, simply 1 rom for each game. and when i try to import a single game that didnt import i get a 0 games imported dialog, its like they are in the .xml but not actually populating in launchbox. As i also said though simply changing the platform name from the default launchbox gives it, to anything else at all and all games import just fine with no issues, its only when using the default platform name that games are skipped.

10 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

I tested that for @C-Beats when we chatted in discord, exactly the same outcome, around 150 games were skipped. As i said in my OP though this is a 1 game 1 rom set, so there are no games to combine, simply 1 rom for each game. and when i try to import a single game that didnt import i get a 0 games imported dialog, its like they are in the .xml but not actually populating in launchbox. As i also said though simply changing the platform name from the default launchbox gives it, to anything else at all and all games import just fine with no issues, its only when using the default platform name that games are skipped.

Okay. I still can't reproduce. Just ran a few tests for SNES, default platform name, and nothing was missing. What ROM set specifically are you using? Are you importing any media? What happens if you turn off all media on import? That would help us to narrow down if maybe it's a media issue.

15 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

Have you searched the platform XML for the missing games? That would be a big clue, whether they're in the XML or not.

Just now, Jason Carr said:

Okay. I still can't reproduce. Just ran a few tests for SNES, default platform name, and nothing was missing. What ROM set specifically are you using? Are you importing any media? What happens if you turn off all media on import? That would help us to narrow down if maybe it's a media issue.

I have tried with and without media, same outcome. in fact most of my tests have been without media as i did it the once so i dont need to re-download any of it. the romset is a no-intro 1g1r set, as are my N64, Genesis, GB, GB Color, NES all those imported all games as far as i can tell, it seems to be isolated to snes only as far as i can tell. Although @MadK9 says he also had issues with some other platforms.

2 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Have you searched the platform XML for the missing games? That would be a big clue, whether they're in the XML or not.

Yeah i was just thinking that, give me a few minutes to delete and re-import that system again. As i imported it as SNES and then changed the name back to catch all the roms at import.

25 minutes ago, C-Beats said:

@MadK9 if possible could you send me your XML for the platform you are having issues with as well as the full file path you believe to be missing? Just PM them to me, no need to add to this post.

I posted it all in the thread up a little, logs and xmls. Not sure what you mean by Full Path?