LaunchBox Community Forums

MAME.xml metadata file does not appear to be grabbing all data.

FoxyMonty

I tried importing Game and Watch games the other day.

I separated all the games into their own folder from an up to date MAME set (0.218). 

I used the import rom tool. Set emulator to MAME and on the MAME setting screen on import I set it to include all clones and to not skip anything. 

Just over half the roms were imported successfully. I checked the missing rom names against the MAME.xml found in the metadata folder and those entries are missing. 

I generated my own MAME.xml list from MAME64.exe and located the missing roms inside there. They are tagged as working roms and good. 

I ran the import process again fresh with nothing already imported into LB. 

Only difference was unchecking “Search for game Information from the LB DB”. Leaving that entire page blank. 

All roms were imported successfully this time, nothing missing. Some games imported with genre info, some with series and seems all version type info imported successfully.

I’m confused on what is actually happening! But it worked. 

On 2/8/2020 at 3:06 PM, DOS76 said:

@Jason Carrjust a FYI the Game N Watch games are part of the regular MAME set and not part of the software list whether or not they might be listed as something else in the XML I don't know

Hmm, I see. It might be worth doing some more research on this. I'm guessing that by default they are excluded because they aren't arcade games (excluded by the Skip Non-Arcade check box). If we can clarify exactly what's going on, I can look into it.

Test 1 

* Standard ROM Importer

* Scan using LB DB for metadata ticked

* MAME as emulator

* Include all Clones, EVERY checkbox unticked. 

Result: Just over half the roms were imported (I think 29 of expected 50). No LB IDs

Test 2

* Standard ROM Importer

* UNTICKED check LB DB for metadata

* MAME as emulator

* Include all Clones, EVERY checkbox unticked. 

Result: 50 imported, no LB IDs

So you are saying that its the "unchecking" of the launchbox database that is the difference here? Well that makes some sort of sense. It may be simply related to naming, you say doing it either way results in zero database ID's, but one way imports more than the other. Im guessing that when you import with the database on, that some games are combined, probably due to having very very similar short names in MAME so the database is trying to match them. When as when the database isnt called on import the roms are simply added no questions asked so to speak.

@Jason Carr a fair assumption or possible reason for this "issue"?

Also i should add that this is my conclusion as you are not using the MAME fullset importer, so Launchbox is physically matching to the database rather than the MAME.xml located in the Launchbox/Metadata folder.

• 3 months later...
On 2/11/2020 at 3:07 AM, Jason Carr said:

Hmm, I see. It might be worth doing some more research on this. I'm guessing that by default they are excluded because they aren't arcade games (excluded by the Skip Non-Arcade check box). If we can clarify exactly what's going on, I can look into it.

These games are apart of the 'MAME 0.221 ROMs (non-merged)' set and using the MAME Arcade Full Set Importer and un-checking Skip non-arcade they fall under the Genre Handheld / Electronic Game.

To separate these games maybe an option to just select non-arcade games? as when skipping everything except non-arcade it still imports arcade games.

See an outdated list of the games below.

Edited by wallmachine