LaunchBox Community Forums

Cabinet owners - how do you turn on your pc?

BillK01

As I impatiently wait for my Rec Room Masters 32” cabinet, I’m trying to figure out how to turn on the pc once it’s tucked inside the completed cabinet.  
I certainly don’t want to pull the cabinet out from the wall and press the pc power button every time we want to use it.   So then I thought since the xtension arcade emulator edition plus controller sort of mimics the keyboard it’s would be as simple as just letting the pc go into hibernation then spin the trackball or hit any button and it’ll wake up but that doesn’t seem to work as none of the controls will wake up the pc like my keyboard and mouse do.  

Maybe I’m just missing something but I’m stumped.  I know I will be able to open the front door and pull out the keyboard shelf to hit the space bar but I’d really like to be able to use the arcade controller to wake up the pc .  

Any ideas?  

for mine I have it set to boot on power in the bios then I have a cord with a power switch that comes out of the back so as soon as I throw the switch the computer boots up. This is the one I have all the outlets are inside the cabinet just the switch comes out the back.

https://www.amazon.com/Master-Electrician-6-Feet-Extension-Outlets/dp/B000W65LO2/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=extension+cord+with+inline+switch&qid=1582503390&sr=8-6

• Like 1

What I would do is to connect a Button with a cable directly to the power pins in the motherboard if it's a desktop computer, no need to Solder, the connector should be Easy yo find. That why the power button can be wherever you want in the exterior of the cabinet, it can be whatever button you want, not a switch tough, just a button that closes the corcuit when you press it only. At work I connected a simple dorbell switch to a computer to power on it because the PC was out out of reach.

14 minutes ago, jophran said:

What I would do is to connect a Button with a cable directly to the power pins in the motherboard if it's a desktop computer, no need to Solder, the connector should be Easy yo find. That why the power button can be wherever you want in the exterior of the cabinet, it can be whatever button you want, not a switch tough, just a button that closes the corcuit when you press it only. At work I connected a simple dorbell switch to a computer to power on it because the PC was out out of reach.

I would second this.  You could even strip the wires if it wasn't long enough, and use small crimp connectors to add more wire if you needed it to run far away and up somewhere on the side or something.  Doing a quick search, I found a youtube video that linked to this page for some cool pre-wired runs and switches to mate them to.  https://www.performance-pcs.com/search/momentary vandal switch

I do the same as dos76 with the bios to turn on with power except I use a WIFI plug adapter so so that my marquee light and and cabinet fans can also turn on at the same time.  I have a racing/flight cabinet a standard arcade cabinet a virtual pinball cab and a Golden Tee all hooked up to 4 WIFI plugs that are Alexa/Google assistant capable and grouped so all I have to is say Alexa turn on arcade and everything comes on at once.

I think I got the WIFI plugs at Walmart for like $8 each.

Edited by mviars