LaunchBox Community Forums

Sleep mode caused corrupted XML file

TheNewClassics

Hey @Jason Carr and LB team;

I accidentally used the Sleep option in BB. After coming out of sleep mode and exiting BB, I'm getting an error saying my Launchbox/Data/Settings file is corrupt and LB cannot continue. It also says root element is missing. It asks to restore a backup, but I'm not sure how I can restore if I can't get into LB itself. Any help is appreciated.

Edit: Was able to just copy the files over from the Automatic backup zip, looks to be fixed. I took a look at a bunch of my XMLs and they had "Null" written all over them. Not sure what happened, but not a hard fix. 

Edited by TheNewClassics

2 hours ago, TheNewClassics said:

I accidentally used the Sleep option in BB. After coming out of sleep mode and exiting BB, I'm getting an error saying my Launchbox/Data/Settings file is corrupt and LB cannot continue. It also says root element is missing. It asks to restore a backup, but I'm not sure how I can restore if I can't get into LB itself. Any help is appreciated.

Edit: Was able to just copy the files over from the Automatic backup zip, looks to be fixed. I took a look at a bunch of my XMLs and they had "Null" written all over them. Not sure what happened, but not a hard fix. 

Interesting, first I've heard of that. I'll note it and take a look if it ever comes up again.

On 4/1/2020 at 1:26 PM, TheNewClassics said:

I believe I had a couple instances that this has happened awhile back... so I switched sleep to hibernate and it has not happened since. But I can't confirm sleep caused the corruption nor if hibernate fixes it....just so happens it hasn't happened since. 

@TheNewClassics @drewjbx FYI, just added this to the latest beta (out soon):

- Improvement: The Big Box Sleep, Reboot, and Shut Down options have been improved to wait until save operations are complete before proceeding (helps prevent rare data corruption possibilities)

Thanks for the report.

On 4/8/2020 at 12:23 AM, wallmachine said:

seems if hdd "wakes up" attract mode crashes I wonder if its a similar thing with sleep mode causing corruption to xml, just a thought.

I haven't been able to replicate that, but that would be unrelated to this.

• Thanks 1