LaunchBox Community Forums

First installation: some questions

legolas119

I just use the Retroarch Mupen64-Next core which uses GlideN64 as well, but M64P works as well. The more things I can keep under the Retroarch umbrella, the less work remembering details of how I've set up and use each emulator, plus you get all the features that come with Retroarch and are likely to be added in the future.

The only issue I had with M64P was it didn't work with my control setup. (Needed multiple devices to control same interface) It was at that time that the author started charging $$, but looks like that ended, but by that time I had switched to Retroarch and it's cores were greatly improved and on par with the other options.

It doesn't hurt to keep Project64 around as well, I've found if you plan to run any modded games, it handles them the best.

Edited by Headrush69

many thanks for all the information and for the tip! ;)  

I configured both emulators in this way. Do you think that i can improve some parameters in order to have the best graphic?

PROJECT 64

Project64.png

Immagine.png

MUPEN 64 PLUS

Immagine2.png

Immagine3.png

thank you!

Edited by legolas119

Those settings look fine to me, should make n64 games look as good as you can likely get anyway.  The only setting I would recommend is disabling the Enable Threaded Video on the video tab on M64P.  Unless you have a slower GPU, or your video card has poor OpenGL support (like ATI/AMD cards), it's usually recommended to not enable that feature. If for some reason you need to, then by all means you can do so though. Not all systems are the same, so it's hard to look at settings and say what is or not good ;)

Edited by CDBlue

perfect thanks! I'm adding every days games and emulators, i will set up Big Box later, when everything will be loaded. I found alittle issue with Demul emulator: for Sega Dreamcast i use as default emulator Redream. But I want as secondary emulator Demul. If I try to run every dreamcast game with Demul via LB, it appears this error:

https://i.postimg.cc/NF70g4Rd/Demul.png

Every game works perfectly if I run it with Demult without LB. The error appears ONLY in LB, when i right click on the games and then i select Demul as emulator. Do you know how I can solve?  I followed the guide for Sammy Atomiswave, using Demul, and it works perfectly, in fullscreen.  I have this issue only with Dreamcast..

thanks!

hmm not sure on that error.  In LB for your emulator setup for Demul do you have this as a default command line?

-run=dc -image=

I don't think that error is related to a missing command line parameter, but it might be.  Also, just an FYI, if you're using Retroarch, the Flycast core is an excellent Sega Dreamcast emulator/core.  You can use that one as your secondary emulator if you can't get Demul to work.  Demul is a little outdated, but still a good emulator.  However, the retroarch flycast core and the redream emulators are updated much more frequently and are just as good, or better in some cases (IMO).

Untitled.png

yes i have that command line :(  It's really strange because Demul works perfectly as a stand alone. I have this issue only if I try to launch it with Launchbox..

I don't use Retroarch, i prefer the "stantdard" emulators, i don't like Retroarch front end and configuration...

I mean the error is suggesting you're missing bios file that the game is looking for.  Do you have all the bios/zip files downloaded and in your bios folder for demul?  Not sure why it would work via demul directly and not through LB.  Does it do that for all games, or just one?

Also, if you do have the bioses in the bios folder for demul, which bios do you have demul set to use?  For example, I have mine set to use the 1.01d (world) version of the bios as that seems to be the more compatible version with most roms/images.

Untitled.png

issue solved! By default LB associated to Dreamcast my Demul Atomiswave installation: in this folder I don't have Dreamcast bios!  Now I associated to Dreamcast the right Demul installation and the error is disappeared.

Now the emulator starts correctly but the game doesn't start automatically: when I right click on the game and select Demul, it opens the Demul interface and I have to manually choose the game. I have configured correctly, i suppose:

dreamcast.png

thanks!

Try checking off the option for no spaces before ROM ... I believe that's needed for dreamcast emulators like NullDC and Demul. I also have attempt to hide console windows checked off... but I don't believe demul has a console window.  But, it wouldn't hurt to check that off as well I guess.

Edited by CDBlue

yesss, thanks! 

I added several new emulators without any issue. Now I want to add TypeXtra frontend with its games but I don't find a tutorial. I only found this guide 

but it is not so clear...

I have my TypeXtra frontend folder, with the TypeXtra.exe file that i run in order to see my games list. Then, every game has its own folder, with its files. Every game has one of these configurations:

Immagine1.png

or

Immagine2.png

or

Immagine3.png

Do you think that this time I can't load as usually the roms+emulator from Tool --> Import --> Roms Files?  Probably here I have to manually add every game, with ADD button in LB and add every game details? If so, I'm not sure what I have to choose, for every game, in this form:

Immagine4.png

I suppose I have to enter the the Jconfig.exe (or the pad_config.exe) in the Configuration Application Path field, but i don't know what i have to enter in the Application Path: the Launch file value or the Exe File value that you can see in my previous TypeXtra screenshots?

thank you for your help :)

don't worry, I will ask to someone in a specific post, i think that for sure somebody have configured it.

Now i missing only these emulators in LB: AMIGA (I have already configured it, and there is a tutorial for add it in LB), MAME full set, Steam, Final Burn and a couple of MAME hack (pandora's box and PGM2). I hope that it will not so difficult to import them in LB :)

I suppose that for MAME hack like PGM2 and pandora's box i should be follow the same totorial available for MAME... but for Final Burn itsn't available a tutorial. Do you know if i have to import it like a normal emulator (Tool --> Import --> Roms Files) or like the MAME?

thank you :)

EDIT: do you remember my little issue with Byuu and a Satellaview game? Well, here the answers from the Byuu forum, i hope this can help other guys :)

"To load a Satellaview game in byuu, you have to choose "Super Famicom..." from the menu, then load the base cart, then load the mini-cart containing the Satellaview game you want to play. When you load the game from the command-line, there's no way to tell byuu what kind of console to load it into. It tries to guess based on the file-extension, but it doesn't know about .bs files. So for the moment, it's not possible to play Satellaview games in byuu from a frontend. Playing them in bsnes is probably a better plan anyway."

Edited by legolas119

For Final Burn, you import them just like you would any regular platform (don't use the Mame importer as that's just for Mame).  Select the folder with the zip files and use the import roms option.  Simply import as Final Burn Alpha (you might need to add that as a platform/emulator before it shows on the list of selectable platforms during the import, or just name it Final Burn Alpha). Tell it to scrape as Arcade during the import process, and in one of the final stages of the import wizard make sure to select the option to "Force using Mame Meta Data".  Since final burn alpha and mame both use zip files, and are both arcade dumps (but their roms are not interchangable - you do need to download a Final Burn Alpha, or Final Burn Neo romset for that platform, and a Mame romset for Mame).

Untitled.png

Untitled2.png

Edit: I recommend using Final Burn Neo vs. Final Burn Alpha.  FBNeo is newer and being actively updated now days (https://neo-source.com/) FBAlpha is pretty much dead since the whole licensing fiasco that caused almost all the devs to leave that emulator and start the Final Burn Neo project (both based on the same Final Burn code).  You can still name the platform Final Burn Alpha, as most themes will look for that name for the platform... but the emulator, etc. you should use is FBNeo.  As for roms, if you use the final burn neo emulator, you should download roms that are made for FBNeo (although I'm sure FBAlpha roms will work, they are likely out of date).

Edited by CDBlue

well, currently i have the fullset for Final Burn Legends and FInal Burn Delta/Pro. I dind't know Final Burn Neo, but i think that Final burn Delta/Pro has the same romset as Final Burn Neo.

Ok thanks, i will import Final Burn Delta in that way and I suppose i can import different Final Burn version, like Legends,  all in the same way, i simply have to add the every emulator with its own name and .exe file

Edited by legolas119

thanks: I added Steam and Amiga, good, they works (I have to understand only how to start Steam on fullscreen, it is not present in the Emulator list..).

Now I added Amiga CD32 but i'm sorry, I need your help. I'm using the same emulator of Amiga, I mean FC-UAE. I have configured it and every Amiga/Amiga Cd32 game works perfectly.  

In LB the Amiga games works without any issue (they are in .adf or WHLOAD zip files).  I tried now to import 2 AmigaCD32 games: one of them in in folder format, with bin, cue, img, sub files. And I added the .cue file in LB.  The other one is .zip format (it included .wav files, .cue and .bin).  LB correctly detected them, but if i run them, the emulator starts but:

1) when i play the game in folder format, it appear a blue screen, with AMIGA DOS information

2) when i play the game in zip format, it appears only the AMIGA CD 2 logo

I think that I have understood the issue: if I play the Amiga CD32 games, the emulator starts with Amiga 1200 model, that is correct for the Amiga games, but not correct for Amiga Cd32 games.  If I run the emualtor without LB, they work correctly because I configured for every game the correct Model:  Amiga 1200 for .adf or WHLOAD games, and CD32 for Amiga Cd32 games.  But how can I do same thing with LB?  Have I to duplicate the emulator folder, and set up the Amiga CD32 installation in a particular way? Or probablu I can keep only one version of the emulator, but I have to set up enyting else..?

thank you very much for your help

don't worry, i will ask in a specific post. TypeXtra and Amiga probably are the most difficult emulators to configure and import in LB...

Now I want to add Final Bunr Delta/Pro (same FB Neo romset, they are 2 different version of Neo), naming the Emulator in "Final Bunr Alpha" in order to download from Emumovies all the themes and so on. I want also to add Final Burn Legends (it is ofr pc, i'm using it, it's godd).  In order to import it and download all the extra files, how can I name this emulator?  I suppose that if I name it like "Final Burn Legends" LB will not be able to download extra files from Emumovies...am I right?

thank you

You can name the platform/emulator anything you want.  All you need to do is when you import the roms you select scrape as, and pick Arcade so it scans arcade/mame type games.  I only suggested naming the platform Final Burn Alpha because alot of themes for BigBox look/work with that name still.  So, if you name the platform/emulator Final Burn Neo or Final Burn Delta (for example) then of of the themes would simply not recognize what that is and just display the default view for that theme instead. If that's not an issue, or you don't use BigBox, then just name it whatever you want, as it will work with LaunchBox with any name you want to give the platform (as long as you have an emulator set to work with whatever names platform you used)... if that makes sense lol

Edited by CDBlue