LaunchBox Community Forums

First installation: some questions

legolas119

6 hours ago, CDBlue said:

Not sure why it would only have imported 2912 games, but if you left the skip items selected (so it skipped those items) that might be accurate.  But, I'm not sure as I don't have a complete set, I picked and chose to only install arcade games that I knew I wanted to play... about 800 ish games.

As for asking LB to attempt to redownload media files, you can.  Select your platform on the list, then click on a game.  Then select all games in that platform by pressing ctrl-a.  Once all games are selected, go to tools/download meta data an media.  Select all the items you want it to look for again (front covers, 3d covers, etc.) then on one of the last pages of the wizard select the middle option for "Yes, but do not replace any existing fields or media".  It will then re-scan all those games you have selected/installed for that platform, and look up the media at LB GamesDB and Emumovies (if you are logged in and have an account there) and if there are missing items that it can now download, it will do that.

Untitled.png

perfect, many thanks! I will do this action for other platforms, it seems that I have same problem.

I find a little issue for language: even if I choose English, my LB menù is only partially in English: i mean, some menù are in english, but for example alle the VIEW and TOOLS options are still in italian...do you know why?

Immagine2.png

I update once for month my full MAME romset. In order to update it on LB (i mean, update the renamed roms, or to detect new roms, or to delete obsolete roms), which is the right option in LB? In the picture above, the 2 options in red are usefult to detect added/deleted MAME roms, but how LB can detect renamed roms?  And what about the 2 options in blue in picture above? I'm sorry but due to the language issue I can't show you the picture in english...

many thanks for your help!

Edited by legolas119

I don't bother updating my mame roms, but I believe there have been posts in the forums before on how to do it.  But I believe you might need to delete and re-import each time you want to do that.  Again, not sure though as I have no experience with that, so I can't answer that question 100%.

As for the language question, unfortunately I don't know the answer to that one either. I would assume your OS language is set to Italian?  If so, maybe it's pulling some items from your language preferences in Windows maybe?

yes my OS is in italian...but at the beginning LB was completly in english...when i tried to swtich it to Italian, well, now it is not possiblr to completley switch in english...probably is a bug.

Ok, finally I finished my MAME import! And I checked all the missing media (about 60GB missing!). After an additional scan as you suggested, not I have all the media for MAME. I will update it trying as suggested here in the forum: import again the fullset, but unchecking all the media. In this way it will import only the new roms. After that I can download their media ad you know.  Probably I have to use also the 2 option in red in my previous screen...i will try. :)

Do you know if it is possible to visualize the MAME playlist also in BigBox? currently I see in BB all the games, without any playlist (i suppose that it is possible to search a game, anyway), it is not so comfortable...

last question: usually i play Neogeo games with MAME. But I would like to see a specific "neo geo" system in LB/BB, with only the neogeo fullset and playing it of course with MAME.exe. Is it possible to configure LB in order to do this? I suppose that I have to create a new Emulator, this time named Neo Geo even if I will use again MAME. But i suppose that I have to manaully search and duplicate all the neo geo roms from mame full set in a specific folder.... is it correct?

thank you!

1 minute ago, legolas119 said:

yes my OS is in italian...but at the beginning LB was completly in english...when i tried to swtich it to Italian, well, now it is not possiblr to completley switch in english...probably is a bug.

This was fixed in the first 10.15 beta.

1 hour ago, legolas119 said:

Do you know if it is possible to visualize the MAME playlist also in BigBox? currently I see in BB all the games, without any playlist (i suppose that it is possible to search a game, anyway), it is not so comfortable...

I believe there are two ways to do this in BigBox.  One is if you want it to always show, and your using a platform view in bigbox.  If that's the case, you will need to edit each playlist in launchbox, and select the "Include this playlist with platforms" option on the details tab.

However, another way would be change the startup view in BigBox from platforms. which is the default view, to platform categories.  Then, when you select Arcade it will show you only the Arcade platforms and any playlists you have selected to show under the Arcade category.

thank you very much!

1) the 2nd option could be good, but also the 1st one. But the problem is that I don't have a NEO GEO Playlist...during the Full MAME import, LB didn't create it...

2) With this playlist, is it possible to view it in BB this playlist as a Platform, with its own "system theme" and so on?

thanks!

You can always create a playlist yourself. Simply right-click a game in LB, that you want to add to whatever playlist you want to create, and select Add to Playlist/New playlist.Untitled.thumb.png.204d286ca09f6e3092b29f5cd59ccf05.png

Once you have a playlist created, when you right click on a game and go to add to playlist, the playlist you created will be there, and you can just select it and it will add to that playlist. So, for example, you can create a playlist called Neo Geo, Associated it to the Mame platform, listed under the Arcade category, etc. just like the auto-generated ones that get created when you tell LB to create it during the Mame importer.

All this being said, you "should" have a playlist called Arcade SNK Neo Geo MVS, which should include the Neo Geo games.. at least that is one of the auto-generated playlists that LB is supposed to created.  Again, you might need to edit that playlist to tell it to search your platform called Mame, as by default it will only search for a platform called Arcade.Untitled1.thumb.png.4bb65664f133faf8afd6973ec0a7662d.png

3 hours ago, CDBlue said:

You can always create a playlist yourself. Simply right-click a game in LB, that you want to add to whatever playlist you want to create, and select Add to Playlist/New playlist.Untitled.thumb.png.204d286ca09f6e3092b29f5cd59ccf05.png

Once you have a playlist created, when you right click on a game and go to add to playlist, the playlist you created will be there, and you can just select it and it will add to that playlist. So, for example, you can create a playlist called Neo Geo, Associated it to the Mame platform, listed under the Arcade category, etc. just like the auto-generated ones that get created when you tell LB to create it during the Mame importer.

All this being said, you "should" have a playlist called Arcade SNK Neo Geo MVS, which should include the Neo Geo games.. at least that is one of the auto-generated playlists that LB is supposed to created.  Again, you might need to edit that playlist to tell it to search your platform called Mame, as by default it will only search for a platform called Arcade.Untitled1.thumb.png.4bb65664f133faf8afd6973ec0a7662d.png

thanks!  It's strange, I only have these playlist under MAME platform, with Platform Category view, and you can see how I imported the fullset (i tried to reimport it, without media, several times, but nothing changed):

Immagine10.png

But if I changed the view for "PLAYLIST" i see a lot of playlist, and here is for example the Arcade SNK Neo GEo MVS, but this playlist is from Final Burn Alpha. As a lot of the other playlist.... for MAME I have only the 19 playlist in the picture above...I'm sure that a lot of playlist for MAME are missing...it is not possible that for Final Burn Alpha I have more playlist than MAME...but I don't know how to make available the missing playlist for MAME too :(

Immagine11.png

You can edit those playlists and change the platform it's searching through to Mame instead of Final Burn Alpha, if that's what you prefer, and then you can also associate them with the Mame platform while you edit the playlist as well.  I would be surprised if those listed under Final Burn Alpha aren't actually looking at the Arcade platofrm though, which doesn't exist on your system now, so those might be broken right now anyway.  As with many things in Launchbox though, you can edit and customize to your liking :)

ah! Thansk, perfect! I changed as you said and it automatically moved the Playlist "Neo Geo MVS" under MAME and it look for games in my MAME roms folder, perfect :)  I noticed that I can't have the same playlist both Under Final Burn Alpha and MAME: if I choose both Platform, i have the same playlist in both Platform, but every game obviously is double:

Immagine12.png

It's strange...LB should be allow to have same playlist in more than one Platform. If I want same playlist in both Platform, I have to create manually each Playlist, i have no other way I think..

At this point in time, playlists need to have a unique name I believe (including the auto-generated arcade playsists). Meaning you can only have one playlist names "Arcade SNK Neo Geo" (for example).  But, you can create your own playlist like I mentioned above, call it "FBA SNK Neo Geo" (or something like that) and then put whatever games you want in it, and have it associated with your Final Burn Alpha Category, so it'll be listed under FBA in the tree on the left pane.

A playlist is not a platform or anything, it's just a database of games from other platforms on your system, so there are no physical games in it, it just points to games you have installed in other platforms, etc.  So, for example, you could create a playlist called 19xx (for example) and add every 19xx game that you have in every platform in it (1941, 1942, 19xx...etc) from Mame, Final Burn Alpha, Atari, Nintendo Entertainment System, etc.  Again, it's all up to you how you want to manually create a playlist and you can add/remove etc. as you wish.  Removing a game form a playlist does not delete it from whatever platform it's actually in :)

absolutely clear, thanks! I have created all the playlist for MAME too and I dediced to have only he MAME's playlist available in BB too :)

Currently in BB I still have the default theme: I plan to download a new theme, in order to see the games on a wheel, with their video/box and description. I think that more than one theme like this  is available for download.

And I want that every Platform/Playlist in BB has each own image/intro: is it possible, am I right? In Tools --> Download Video Theme for each Platform/Category. It is really useful :)

exactly, LB/BB are absolutly awesome! :)

Now I'm adding missing extrafiles for some games: I have to check for every platfom/playlist, all the games without media and manually check again if they are available.

For some games, video aren't available and I would like to record them by my self from the emulator. Do you know a quick method in order to record a video from the pc, when an emulator is running?

thanks!

Sorry, never had to do that.  I would assume there is video capture software you can use, like OBS (what people use to stream to twitchtv and things like that).  I'm pretty sure that would allow you to record your screen/display, but again not sure as I've never done that.  If I have a game with no video I'm ok with it showing the screenshots, etc. instead.  But, good luck.