LaunchBox Community Forums

First installation: some questions

legolas119

don't worry, thanks. I'm using CAPTURA, it is really easy to use, I'm recording by myself the missing video, it is really quick :)  

As soon as I finished to download all the missing media files in all my platforms in LB, I will start to configure themes in BB, that is fun :)  I would like to add games themes like these 

I suppose that they are available for every console/game, more or less. Currently in BB I still have the default theme, with no games themes, no system themes, and so on...  And I would like to use a theme with wheels: I want every Platform/Playlist in a wheel and then all the games of each platfom in wheel :) 

You need to download platform theme/videos via Launchbox.  That will be the video that displays for each platform selected while in BB.  For themes in BB, there are many as you can see, but my goto is usually Unified Refried

This theme is extra good because he also supplies theme/platform videos that you can manually download (that fit his theme perfectly) as well as platform logos (which you also would need to manually download and put in the correct folders in your LB directory).  Have a look at it and see if it's what you're looking for.  Either way, as I said, there are tons of themes and I'm sure you will be able to find one to your tastes.

wow! it absolutely fantastic! I will try it!

So I can download this BB theme and it will be possible in addition to download platform/playlist themes thar perfectly fit with this theme, very good.  In addition, I can download the default theme for platform/playlist with Tools--> Download Theme...

So, I will have 2 different themes for each platfomr (one downloaded from LB and one with Unified Refried): it means that I can choose which theme I prefer to load in BB? I mean: i can download and save more than one theme for each platfom. Really good!

You can only have 1 set of videos for platforms.  So, you can either download some via the options in LaunchBox, or if they are not available there, you can download them via the forums.  For example, Unified Refried's platform theme videos are not available via the LaunchBox platform media download section.  So, if you choose to go with Unified Refried, and want to use his platform videos, you need to download them manually and put them in the ../videos/platforms folder in LaunchBox on your PC manually.

As an example, if you downloaded the above videos, and put them in your ../videos/platforms forlder in LB, then proceeded to download videos via the tool/options in Launchbox, it would overwrite those videos and you would now just have the ones you selected in LB. 

There are ways around this though.  In themes, if it doesn't have it, you can also create a ../videos/platforms folder structure in the theme itself, and put videos you just want for that theme in that folder.  When BB runs, it will look to play videos from there before it looks in the normal location in the launchbox folders to play those instead.

Hope that makes sense :)

Edited by CDBlue

Yes, what @neil9000 says is correct.  Also, the name of the platform video has to match the platform name.  So, if you download Arcade.mp4, in your case, you will want to rename it to Mame.mp4 so it will play when you select your Mame platform :)

Also, FYI, from the LB download section for platform videos, you can also download videos for your arcade auto-generated playlists.  So, even if you choose to use the unified refried videos from the forum/download page, you should still look at the LB downloads and download the platform videos for those that are not covered in the themes.

Untitled.png

Edited by CDBlue

thank you guys for all these info! :)

ok, I think that I will use the platform themes from Unified Refried's.

But in any case, if I want to download additional Platform thems (with the Launchbox option Tools --> Download Video/Themes), I see that LB chooses, for every platfom/playlist, a theme (1), from a list:

Immagine.png

Probably LB chooses the best theme for every platform. But for example if I want for all the platfom the same theme (for example Big Box cinematic), i can choose to Prioritize (2) this theme and LB will probably download these theme for each platfom. I think that I can save the additional platform themes in this path \video\platfom\not used. In this way, if I want to change a platform theme, I simply take the theme saved in "not used" and copy it in \video\platform :)

7 hours ago, CDBlue said:

Also, FYI, from the LB download section for platform videos, you can also download videos for your arcade auto-generated playlists.  So, even if you choose to use the unified refried videos from the forum/download page, you should still look at the LB downloads and download the platform videos for those that are not covered in the themes.

Perfect, sure. I will download every platfom theme available fro Unified, but for the missing themes for Playlist (for MAME and FBA) I will use the themes available with the LB download section. I hope that they will work correctly with the Unified Refrie's theme :)

Correct, that's how I do it.  I have a folder called bigbox cinematics, unified, and unified refried.  I downloaded those platform videos a while back, and simply copy the ones I want to use into the main videos/platforms folder when I want to use them.

The reason each item is selected is because it detects which platforms you have in your collection that also don't have any platform videos downloaded yet. It will default to the first one of the list I believe, but at the bottom you can prioritize as you mentioned.  Keep in mind though, there are alot of platform theme videos out there, but not for every platform for a specific type.  For example, if you prioritize bigbox cinematics, it will select those for each platform that they exist... but you might have several that don't have those types, and it will still just select the first one of the list.  Best to review each selection before you click ok, to make sure it's downloading what you want :)

yes sure, I have a lifetime subscription! I can download the themes in that page, many thanks!

I have a little question, about Spectabis, the frontend for PCSX2 emulator: I mapped the EXIT command in Launch Box with L2+R2 button on my Logitech pad. It works perfectly with all emulators, but if I run Spectabis it doesn't work. I can't exit from a running game.  Do you know if it is possible, only for a specific emulator, to configure specific command in order to do some actions? 

thank you :)

Sorry, not sure about Spectabis, never even heard of it to be honest.  Just curious though, why use a frontend for PCSX2, when you're using launchbox as a frontend?  I know that some games you might need to tweak settings in PCSX2 in order for them to work correctly, but I've found that most games play just fine with the PCSX2 settings that I normally use (3x upscalling, OpenGL, Hardware Hacks/Aligh Sprites, FSSAA, etc.)... as long as you have a decent PC that is.

Do you have the emulator in LB for PS2 games setup as spectabis, and not PCSX2?  If so, then you likely need to find out what the options are to exit spectabis, or you might need to map an exit hotkey in it.  If you can do that, you should be able to tell LB what keypress to pass on to Spectabis when you use your exist command in LB, and it should pass it on to Spectabis and exit.

Edited by CDBlue

yes, I followed this guide: 

I use spectabis also with LB because with this frontend, i can use every game with its specific settings. For example, I set PCSX2 with some setting for 3Dgames and with diffrent settings for 2D games. In this way, with Spectabis, every game automatically starts with the right setting :)

Unfortunately there isn't in Spectabis a specific command in order to exit from a game. Donìt worry, it isn't a problem :)

37 minutes ago, legolas119 said:

yes, I followed this guide: 

I use spectabis also with LB because with this frontend, i can use every game with its specific settings. For example, I set PCSX2 with some setting for 3Dgames and with diffrent settings for 2D games. In this way, with Spectabis, every game automatically starts with the right setting :)

Unfortunately there isn't in Spectabis a specific command in order to exit from a game. Donìt worry, it isn't a problem :)

hi

I'm checking, for every platform, the missing box cover and the missing video. I have almost finished but with MAME and FBA it is really boring...to many games to check.  Is it possible to quickly retrieve, for each platform, only games with missing cover (and missing video)? in this way I can directly review them without sliding all the fullset...

thanks!

Just now, legolas119 said:

hi

I'm checking, for every platform, the missing box cover and the missing video. I have almost finished but with MAME and FBA it is really boring...to many games to check.  Is it possible to quickly retrieve, for each platform, only games with missing cover (and missing video)? in this way I can directly review them without sliding all the fullset...

thanks!

Use the audit, or use the category dropdown to change it to games missing media, click on the video part and put the platform name in the search box. You can then highlite them all and search for metadata.

image.thumb.png.e6dc198945cc2de5729e55edfee71ccb.png

thank you! really useful!!!  Well, now in Final Burn Alpha I only have this files without video/box cover.

https://i.postimg.cc/Lsk9fV6V/Immagine.png

But i suppose they are bios or some other stuff...not real game. So, if I delete from LB these files, do the games which need these bios will continue to run correctly when launched with LB? I think they they still continue to work because they are present in the roms folder, even if i delete them in LB (Note: I don't duplicate the games imported in LB, i use the original copy of every game in my roms folder).

thanks!

Edited by legolas119

Hi,

i'm trying to understand how to manage Media for games with multiple disc. For example, for PSX, Parasite Eve 2 has 2 discs: if I name the 2 games like " Parasite Eve CD1 and Parasite Eve CD2, I can manage 2 different game themes, one for every disc but in this way, LB isn't able to link the game to the database and so it can download few media...

If I name both the disc like "Parasite Eve II" I can link the game to the database, but i suppose that i can manage only one theme for both the disc. is it correct? 

thanks