LaunchBox Community Forums

cannot run PS1 EU games

xenotoca

If it works, then go ahead and use it I guess... but as neil9000 mentioned the reamred core is not the best when it comes to PSX emulation on the PC.  But if it works then by all means continue to use it I guess.  That core might explain the crash you mentioned earlier though.  IMO the Mednafen_PSX_HW is the best core to use for PC emulation of PS1 games via retroarch.

Assume you have the core actually downloaded in retroarch, and the associated bios files needed, I would suggest trying the beetal psx HW core, as that's generally considered the best for modern PC's (assuming you want to use modern features like upscalling, perspective correcting, etc.)... if you're looking for as much as a natural PSX renderer and not looking to upscale etc., then the regular beetle psx core is good for that.

Edit: Mednafen = Beetle... for some reason they refer themselves as Mednafen in some places and Beetle in others.

Edited by CDBlue

1 minute ago, CDBlue said:

IMO the Mednafen_PSX_HW is the best core to use for PC emulation of PS1 games via retroarch.

Agreed.

The "armed" part of "reARMed" refers to the "arm" processor, which is what phones and the pi use. That core/emulator uses hacks to make it run well on phones. So the same hacks are still in it on PC also.

Ok, I'll use HW.  I would like to improve the game if possible, the FF7 graphics are rough to look at, but I'm just playing through it for fun, using a bunch of cheats to just enjoy it (I did my grind when it first came out).  What do I do to make it look better?

LOL I mean I had it set to mednafenpsx before in LB and that was the problem, when I moved it to ReArmed it worked.  That was because when I launched the game by itself in RA it loaded the game in ReArmed.  How do I set RA (not LB since I already used the dropbox to fix it to Mednafen HW in LB) to use Beetle HW?  They didn't launch because they didn't match.  With HW selected in the LB dropbox it is not launching again.  It launched with ReArmed selected, but I want to use HW and have it selected with associated platforms in LB.

4 minutes ago, RevJoe98 said:

LOL I mean I had it set to mednafenpsx before in LB and that was the problem, when I moved it to ReArmed it worked.  That was because when I launched the game by itself in RA it loaded the game in ReArmed.  How do I set RA (not LB since I already used the dropbox to fix it to Mednafen HW in LB) to use Beetle HW?  They didn't launch because they didn't match.  With HW selected in the LB dropbox it is not launching again.  It launched with ReArmed selected, but I want to use HW and have it selected with associated platforms in LB.

You dont you tell Launchbox what core to load and it does.

1 minute ago, RevJoe98 said:

When I try to load FF7 in RA alone, it suggests ReArmed and a Genesis core (?).  It's not using Beetle HW.

Because you have a .bin file, so it suggests cores that work with .bin. Just go to load core and load it, then load content, not that you need that if you get your Launchbox sorted before confusing matters.