LaunchBox Community Forums

cannot run PS1 EU games

xenotoca

many European PS1 games ( not all ) will not run with the beetle psx hw  in launchbox and crash in Retroarch but will run if you run retroarch outside of launchbox and change to the pcsx rearmed core. PGA European Tour Golf (Europe) or (En,De)Pinball Power are good examples. A word of warning the new Retroarch (with the much better black menu) will not run European games at all. I do have the three recommended BIOS files and checked the checksums are correct. When trying to edit the file in launchbox the emulator selects retroarch but I can see no way to tell the launcher which core to load so it always loads the beetle core. Is there anyway I can specify which core to use

To tell LB to use a certain core for a game, in LB right-click on the game and select edit.  Select the Emulation tab.  On that tab select the option for use custom command line parameters.   In the line below that you should enter the following:

-L "cores\pcsx_rearmed_libretro.dll"

Now when you launch that game, LB will tell retroarch to launch it using the pcsx_rearmed_libretro.dll core.... assuming you have it downloaded that is :)

Also, as for why you can't play some EU games via the Beetle HW core is likely because of the odd copyright protection some (many) PAL games used.  See https://docs.libretro.com/library/beetle_psx_hw/ for more information on how to get those to work in the Bettle core... specifically this section:

Playing PAL copy protected games

PAL copy protected games need a SBI Subchannel file next to the bin/cue files in order to get past the copy protection.

• Ape Escape (Europe).bin
  • Ape Escape (Europe).cue
  • Ape Escape (Europe).sbi

Warning

For proper PAL game compatibility, the 'Skip BIOS' core option needs to be set to off.

thanks a lot for your help that works fine.

is there somewhere that gives examples of how to fill in and use the various areas of the edit box as I would never have worked that out in a million years.

only problem now is the sound on some games is a bit screwed up but to be honest if I really have load or sound problems I load them up in XEBRA using the built in bios, works every time. Now to work out how to add it to the emulators?

thanks again so nice to have knowledgeable community members here

4 minutes ago, RevJoe98 said:

What have I done wrong here?  I can only launch Final Fantasy VII through RetroArch.  I would like to use LaunchBox.  Thank you for any help!  (I'm a total newb, please be patient with me)!

FF7 LB 1.png

Why are you using a commandline for that game? As long as you added Playstation as a associated platform for Retroarch in Tools/manage emulators/retoarch and specified the correct core you dont need a commandline for individual games. Also that command is wrong anyway so wont work, remove it.

• Like 1

I'm sorry, I added that because I misunderstood what was said above.  This is what it normally looks like.  When I double click it in LB, it does nothing.  I have to find the file in RetroArch to get it to play through there (I just go to history now to make it quicker), but I would like it all to play from LB and BigBox ultimately.  

FF7 LB 2.png

Can you post a screenshot of your launcher tab for that game?  I'm curious as to what you have LB trying to launch.  Many Sony Playstation games are muli-file roms like bin/cue.  For those to launch correctly you want to actually import the .cue file, and not the .bin file.  So, I'm curious if you're just trying to launch the wrong file from LB and that's why it's not working.

Edited by CDBlue
  • Like 1

The Platform and the Associated platform name are Identical.  LB made the Platform when it imported it.  Here is the launch tab I think.  One thing about launching outside of LB is that I can get to RetroArch with a mouse to work on cheats.  I CANNOT figure out how to get to RetroArch's menu with my USB/XBox 360 style controller while in the game.  

FF7 LB 4.png

hmm, no cue file which is odd, but I wonder now if the html file might be causing issues.  I'm not sure how smart launchbox is when it comes to unzipping and launching games.  If there are multiple files in the zip I'm not sure how it selects which one to try and pass on to the emulator.  I would suggest either unzipping it and linking the LB entry to the unzipped .bin file, or perhaps just removing the html from the zip and see if that works (it is 100% not needed for the rom to work, it's just a reference as to where you got the rom from).

• Like 1