LaunchBox Community Forums

Mame doesn't work

Maul83

I used this tutorial and when  I tried to launch in LB the screen goes black for a few seconds, and then back to launchbox. Nothing happens. I know the roms are good as I can test within Mame. I can also launch with RetroArch, but I want Mame for the high scores. Ideas? 

Tried this too 

step by step, put in the same locations ETAprime did, even turned off start up screens. same issue

Edit: I want to add, I don't think its the Roms or Mame. Its something with properly launching it from Launchbox, as I can sucessfully load a game from Mame itself. Even if I click launch mame in Launchbox it happens. Screen goes black for a few seconds, then back to LB

Edited by Maul83

8 hours ago, neil9000 said:

What version of MAME are you using?

I had an older version installed (not sure what) that I never really had sucess with, but I thought I'll just use Retroarch, then the new update came out so I wanted to use MAME for it, and noticed this issue, so I downloaded the newest one (0220b I think) and it still didn't  work. I have since tried downloading 0197b as that is the same version as my rom pack I have, but no dice there either. I have removed Retroarch as an Arcade emulator as well in LB but that made no difference either. 

4 hours ago, JoeViking245 said:

Is your mame.ini file located in MAME's root folder?   i.e.  D:\Emulators\Mame\mame.ini

It is. I haven't altered the Mame folder in any way (except to store my Roms in mame/roms) and I haven't touched the INI. I also tried numerous versions of MAME as well. 

I think by default, MAME puts "mame.ini" in it's "ini" folder and needs to be moved into it's root folder.  Hence, my prior question.

Whatever rom set you have, Use The Same Revision Of The MAME Executable!  So rom-pack 0.197, use mame64.exe for revision 0.197.

So...

• The MAME executable and roms are of the same revision (0.197 or whatever. Doesn't matter as long as they're the same).
  • mame.ini has been moved to (or was already in) MAME's  root folder.
  • There isn't 2 copies of mame.ini  (root folder and ini folder). Only the one mentioned above?
  • You double-click mame64.exe in Windows Explorer and the MAME UI window opens.  You double-click on one of the games and you can play it just fine.  Hit Escape, the game closes and you're back at the MAME UI screen, hit Escape again and MAME closes.
  • You set up the Arcade Platform in LaunchBox and the MAME emulator just as described in the 2 referenced videos above.
  • You double-click an Arcade game (say, the same one you were playing in the 4th bulleted item above) in LaunchBox.  You momentarily get a black screen and then you're back inside LB.  The game wouldn't launch.
  • You the right click on that game you just tried to play, and select "open MAME...", the same thing happens with the momentary black screen.image.png.2bade427ed28566d2fd35e21283515ae.png 

Is that all correct (so far)?

It works now thanks! I'm pretty sure it was the MAME version not matching the MAME set version, but I thought they were. I reinstalled MAME again by scratched and it worked this time, so maybe it wasn't, I dunno. Thanks for helping. 

• Game On 1

• 2 years later...

I Have the MAME romset 0.251 and Launchbox d-loads the correct version for my romset and configures it... or so I thought... It doesn't work at all...Screen goes black and back to the desktop when trying to play any Mame game....I am not a happy camper here... The Mame.ini is in the root of the Mame program... I have no idea why it's not working....

Edited by DaRaVEn3D

6 hours ago, DaRaVEn3D said:

I Have the MAME romset 0.251 and Launchbox d-loads the correct version for my romset and configures it... or so I thought... It doesn't work at all...Screen goes black and back to the desktop when trying to play any Mame game....I am not a happy camper here... The Mame.ini is in the root of the Mame program... I have no idea why it's not working....

Almost always these issues are MAME can't find the roms it needs.

In your mame.ini is the the rom path set to where your MAME roms are?

Although you can pass MAME an absolute path to a rom and it may work for some games, if the game requires auxiliary roms (BIOS, device, etc) , without the rom path set it won't know how to find them.

8 hours ago, DaRaVEn3D said:

In order to help troubleshoot issues with MAME, please provide the following information:

• Do the games work when starting them directly through MAME?
    • Start mame.exe, select a game and press Enter. 
    • Does it run?
    • Or do you get error messages? 
      • If so, what game are you trying to run and what exactly is the error? [provide a screenshot if possible])

Screenshots

• Go to Tools, Manage, Emulators, select the emulator you’re using for MAME and provide a screenshot of the following sections
    • Details
    • Associated Platforms
  • Select one of your Arcade (MAME) games and click Edit (or press Ctrl+E). Provide a screenshot of the following sections
    • Metadata
    • Launching
    • Emulation

• 11 months later...
1 hour ago, Sirjack said:

I have the exact same issue. Cant run Mame games in LB. 

Taken all steps which was suggested in here. 

Anyone found a fix for it ?

Can you get the games to run directly in Mame without LB? If not then that is the issue to start with. 

It would also help us troubleshoot if you let us know how you imported your roms (what method of import did you use) and did you set up MAme yourself or have LB do it. 

On 1/20/2024 at 12:36 PM, Retro808 said:

Can you get the games to run directly in Mame without LB? If not then that is the issue to start with. 

It would also help us troubleshoot if you let us know how you imported your roms (what method of import did you use) and did you set up MAme yourself or have LB do it. 

Thanks - I have managed to solve it. My own mistake.
It was the destination which was wrong into the roms folder in LB. It was R:\Launchbox\Launchbox\Games\Arcade.. 🙂 
Changed it to R:\Launchbox\Games\Arcade and now working., 

Thanks for reaching out.