LaunchBox Community Forums

Reset MAME High Scores?

Jason Carr

Reset MAME High Scores?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Should we reset MAME high scores after the 10.14 release?

• Yes, please remove all high scores so that we can start over from scratch without the ability to change game dip switches
    • No, please keep all existing high scores, despite the fact that there may have been some previous cheating

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/22/2020 at 02:57 PM

With the 10.14 release that is set to go live tomorrow, we've added a number of security measures to help prevent cheating when submitting MAME high scores, including disabling the ability to change dip switches in order to have more lives, etc. Once the new release goes live, versions 10.12 and 10.13 will no longer be able to submit high scores, in order to make sure that no one uses an old version in order to cheat.

We have removed a number of high score records that were obviously either errors or involved cheating, but we probably have not caught them all. The question is whether we want to reset the high score system or not, now that it is more robust. We need your vote. :)

• Like 3

Just wanted to repost my thoughts on the matter if anyone is on the fence: 

As long as it's made sure that things are tested and working properly I think it'd be best to restart with a clean slate. I don't mind losing my top spots at all. It'd be a shame to have some unrealistic scores floating around forever when it could have been prevented with a one time reset. Totally understand the nature of emulation keeps it from being 100% cheat proof, I can live with it if someone hacks there way onto the top spot, it would just be a shame to keep old scores around before one of the most important anti-cheat measures was implemented.

• Like 2

Just now, SpinningMoon said:

Hello from Denmark, bit noob here on Mame to play Arcade games,

Only standard settings as loaded with game, meaning theres no cheat.

Is Dip switches, the changes in game? :) Looking forward to play after i make the account.

Dip switches are changed through the MAME menus, so if you don't go out of your way, you'll never even know they're there. So nothing to worry about. :)

• Thanks 1

Just now, GoGoGuy said:

Great news. Will the dip switch standard be displayed. Do the dip switches get reset if I delete the cfg file?

Yes, dip switches are reset if you delete the cfg file. Unfortunately we don't have any way to display what the default settings are. However, you can always edit the cfg file as well and just remove the dipswitch lines.

1 minute ago, Jason Carr said:

Yes, dip switches are reset if you delete the cfg file. Unfortunately we don't have any way to display what the default settings are. However, you can always edit the cfg file as well and just remove the dipswitch lines.

Awesome. Does that mean we can keep the controller config and reset the dips?

I'm definitely all for removing the scores, especially since it hasn't been tracking them that long.

I never really mess around with dipswitches, but I could certainly see myself messing around with them just for fun. Does the system just recognize those scores as invalid & ignore them? Just want to make sure that the system isn't assuming that the intention is to cheat & end up with a ban.

I suppose I could just stick with RetroArch MAME when it comes to messing with dipswitches, since it wouldn't even attempt to send those scores...

15 minutes ago, PurpleTentacle said:

I'm definitely all for removing the scores, especially since it hasn't been tracking them that long.

I never really mess around with dipswitches, but I could certainly see myself messing around with them just for fun. Does the system just recognize those scores as invalid & ignore them? Just want to make sure that the system isn't assuming that the intention is to cheat & end up with a ban.

I suppose I could just stick with RetroArch MAME when it comes to messing with dipswitches, since it wouldn't even attempt to send those scores...

Messing with dip switches should just result in no scores being submitted for that game. Bans will come if invalid scores are actually submitted. In the case of the dip switches, the scores should just never leave your machine if dip switches are changed.

5 hours ago, brentg said:

Will there be anything we need to do our end to help facilitate this?

Namely deletion of any files/nvram/cfg?

What would be the easiest way in ensuring all dip switches are considered default?

Thanks

Brent

If you've changed dipswitch settings previously, then deleting all cfg files will revert them all. Make sure you don't have any other important changes to your cfg files though.

4 hours ago, NinjaBadger said:

As long as changing blood to red let's say in metal slug doesn't affect it I'm on board. 

Unfortunately if that is done via a dip switch setting, then it will affect the high scores.

4 hours ago, NinjaBadger said:

As long as changing blood to red let's say in metal slug doesn't affect it I'm on board. 

1 minute ago, Jason Carr said:

If you've changed dipswitch settings previously, then deleting all cfg files will revert them all. Make sure you don't have any other important changes to your cfg files though.

Unfortunately if that is done via a dip switch setting, then it will affect the high scores.

Depending on the region of the rom you play, some have blood by default.