LaunchBox Community Forums

Reset MAME High Scores?

Jason Carr

Reset MAME High Scores?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Should we reset MAME high scores after the 10.14 release?

• Yes, please remove all high scores so that we can start over from scratch without the ability to change game dip switches
    • No, please keep all existing high scores, despite the fact that there may have been some previous cheating

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/22/2020 at 02:57 PM

FYI all, all is looking good with the release, and clearly the vast majority vote is to reset the high scores. I will be putting out the 10.14 release here shortly this morning, then disabling submitting high scores for previous versions and resetting all the high scores.

Would be nice if there was a way to not count continue scores as some games let you continue after death and carry on with your score. I love seeing where I stack other than that with one coin mentality. 

Edited by InsidiouSin
Added second sentence. Not wanting to sound too salty.

2 minutes ago, InsidiouSin said:

Would be nice if there was a way to not count continue scores as some games let you continue after death and carry on with your score. I love seeing where I stack other than that with one coin mentality. 

Sadly that's not possible with MAME. Those particular arcade games were pay-to-win from the very beginning, unfortunately.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, stoney66 said:

What about people reverting to save state(s) to achieve a high score? Does the system flag that as well?

Save states are disabled once you turn on uploading high scores.

12 minutes ago, damageinc86 said:

I guess we've ran into the one credit hi-score vs. the pummel "credits? into the "machine" hi-score.  I doubt there's any way to distinguish the two.

Unfortunately the pay-to-win games are just that: pay-to-win. You'd have to modify the games for them to behave any differently.

44 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Save states are disabled once you turn on uploading high scores.

Unfortunately the pay-to-win games are just that: pay-to-win. You'd have to modify the games for them to behave any differently.

Right, that's why I bet there isn't an easy way to figure out if there was one credit put in, or 100 lol.

I'd be curious to know which games allow you to keep your score after continuing because if I had to bet money on it I would bet that those games also reward you with more points if you aren't dying and doing certain things correctly like chaining enemies or something.

In the end it's all fair though, if everyone can just dump coins then everyone is on an even playing field.

28 minutes ago, Lordmonkus said:

I'd be curious to know which games allow you to keep your score after continuing because if I had to bet money on it I would bet that those games also reward you with more points if you aren't dying and doing certain things correctly like chaining enemies or something.

In the end it's all fair though, if everyone can just dump coins then everyone is on an even playing field.

There really aren't all that many games that do this, so it really doesn't matter to me much at all. I've been surprised how much the topic has come up though.

For Streetfighter if you use more than one credit the units column of your score is the amount of credits you have used.. So you see a score which is say, 1,523,784 then they have used 4 continues to get there. Should be "0" to be fair..

I doubt other games are like that though.

• 2 weeks later...

What about a point system to show how close or how far you are away from first place or the person above you in Top Player tab? Something Super Mario Kart style. I would like to know how much distance I have to make up to catch up and pass the person above me. Just a thought.  Also, few games gave me outrages scores. Not sure how to submit to get it removed. Still mame .209(I tried newest release and it stopped allowing me to play certain games, 19xx games mainly is what I tested, so I went back to .209) 

Incorrect scores below.

Action Fighter

Chase H.Q.

I did do a forum search and did not see where to post this idea or score correction so I posted here. Apologizes if I over looked the correct location.

~SIN

3 hours ago, InsidiouSin said:

What about a point system to show how close or how far you are away from first place or the person above you in Top Player tab? Something Super Mario Kart style. I would like to know how much distance I have to make up to catch up and pass the person above me. Just a thought.  Also, few games gave me outrages scores. Not sure how to submit to get it removed. Still mame .209(I tried newest release and it stopped allowing me to play certain games, 19xx games mainly is what I tested, so I went back to .209) 

Incorrect scores below.

Action Fighter

Chase H.Q.

I did do a forum search and did not see where to post this idea or score correction so I posted here. Apologizes if I over looked the correct location.

~SIN

Thanks, I'll get those scores removed. I have thought about adding a "score" type thing to Top Players, but we need to move on to other things for now, so it will probably be a while before we come back to adding things for the MAME high scores.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1