LaunchBox Community Forums

My PC Lightgun collection (164 games)

Jayinem

Not the best video or best setup (don't have Premium yet) but still a lot of awesome Lightgun games.  Every single game is setup for one click play with Lightgun. Took me weeks and lots of frustration setting it up, but I'm stuck at home so why not. 

Edited by Jayinem
  • Like 5
  • Game On 1

I'm even finding a few more I missed today Egg Venture and Under Fire both Mame games and I'm in the process of trying to get Star Trek Voyager working and it requires a VirtualBox just to play it. So more frustration to come perhaps! 

I would have an even bigger list but many are on my Wii original hardware with Wii Zapper and PS3 with Move. I'm considering switching the Wii ones over (there's already quite a few Wii games in that list) but haven't decided to yet. 

Edited by Jayinem
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, LaunchRoo said:

That's a lot of work..kudos...can i have ALL your settings...lol?

That would be like writing a book lol but I'll help you one step at a time. Just think of it as learning to swim you jump in the deep in and I'll be there to save you if you start to drown lol. Let me know if you need specific help on something. 

I'll give some general information to get people started if they want.

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,160052.0.html

That will give you a list of all the games working (doesn't include Wii games which works with Dolphin in which all games seem to work straight out of the box on it except entering your gun buttons on settings) and if you scroll down they made a list of which emulators they used. On occasion I used different ones like for Dreamcast I used mostly Demul but some Flycast standalone. PS1 I mostly used PCSX-Reloaded which relies on config files (a pain to get them running through Launchbox, but I can help if asked) but I also used some psX. That should be a good starting point. 

Edited by Jayinem
  • Like 2

I have an EMS Top Gun 3 from play-asia (don't think you can get it anywhere else any more)

https://www.play-asia.com/ems-topgun-iii/13/704e7s

Pros:

Wireless

Works fairly well when there's not a fault in it (described below)

Cons:

Had more than one gun where the trigger stop firing even though I was careful

Sometimes even if you have the gun off the usb device will make your mouse get stuck, and you either have to get up and unplug/replug the usb device or turn on the gun and move the mouse that way. It's a driver issue because I've used EMS Top guns on a total of 3 computers and they all do that but only occasionally. Not a deal breaker IMO but annoying.

You have to leave your computer on test mode for Windows 10 to let you keep the unsigned driver it uses. The only negative effect from that is a little sign on the bottom right of your screen that says you're in test mode everything else on your computer functions normally so I'd say it's minor. 

It's kinda hard for me to recommend one because of the trigger problems. But I seem to have one left that works well. If it messes up I'll probably buy a Mayflash Dolphin Bar and use a Wiimote.  Aimtrak is the best I just want a wireless solution. 

Edited by Jayinem

45 minutes ago, xevious1974 said:

I am very interested in which control do you use.

Reading internet seems aimtrack is the best, but it is quite expensive.  Is it the only one to buy to play lightgun games?

Trying to find a spinner is surely worst :(

Looks like the Sinden guns are getting close to release, fingers cross.

There are lots of good spinners from several companies and they all seem to perform well. I have one from Ultimarc , no issues.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, xevious1974 said:

Spinner from Ultimarc has to be inserted in a case. I'd like to find one already mounted. I am not able to build one. :(

If you can’t find one, you could also use an external bigger ball trackball. Although not the same, still works better than other options. Before I got a spinner I used the trackball for games like Arkanoid, Tempest, and it was Very usable once sensitivity adjusted in MAME. 

FYI, really easy to put a traditional spinner in any box. One hole for spinner, route plug to USB. You don’t have to make a cabinet or custom box.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, xevious1974 said:

thank you for your reply!

So the spinner has already a direct usb cable to attach to pc? I can fix it in a box, but which buttons do you use? 

There are several routes you could go. If you want to add buttons, you would need an encoder like the Zero-delay USB encoders which are really cheap. The problem with that is you would have 2 usb cables from your box, but you could add a lot of buttons and joysticks.

The other option is an encoder like the iPac from Ultimarc, which the spinner plugs into and also provides the encoder for buttons. It's a more expensive option, but has the greatest flexibility. Once you go down this road, you are essentially on the way to making a full control panel.

I don't know if you can still buy or find one of these used, but a Kensington Trackball like that would give you a full size trackball with buttons.

The question is how much work do you want to do and how many of the games you play absolutely NEED a trackball. Many trackball games play quite well with a mouse. On my cabinet only a few games take advantage of it for a true authentic experience, but it serves as my mouse as well, so very useful. 

• Like 1

On 4/30/2020 at 7:57 PM, Headrush69 said:

There are several routes you could go. If you want to add buttons, you would need an encoder like the Zero-delay USB encoders which are really cheap. The problem with that is you would have 2 usb cables from your box, but you could add a lot of buttons and joysticks.

The other option is an encoder like the iPac from Ultimarc, which the spinner plugs into and also provides the encoder for buttons. It's a more expensive option, but has the greatest flexibility. Once you go down this road, you are essentially on the way to making a full control panel.

I don't know if you can still buy or find one of these used, but a Kensington Trackball like that would give you a full size trackball with buttons.

The question is how much work do you want to do and how many of the games you play absolutely NEED a trackball. Many trackball games play quite well with a mouse. On my cabinet only a few games take advantage of it for a true authentic experience, but it serves as my mouse as well, so very useful. 

First of all, thank you a lot for your usefull information.

I have to say that you are right, not so many games at the end. But, you know, it is only to play few games at their best. Maybe, to start, is more usefull a lightgun. I have already a Wheel, but it is not so good for all games...super sprint does not work and others requires a difficult calibration. But I like to try! And I love games ^_^

On 4/28/2020 at 4:04 PM, xevious1974 said:

I am very interested in which control do you use.

Reading internet seems aimtrack is the best, but it is quite expensive.  Is it the only one to buy to play lightgun games?

Trying to find a spinner is surely worst :(

Wiimotes and a dolphin Mayflash bar work great as lightguns.

• 1 year later...

Just got my Sinden last week.  Works great, but definitely requires lots of tweaking, but absolutely worth it after the dismal results I had with the AimTrak.  They have built some handy MAME packs to help with automatically displaying the tracking borders.  Time to build out the lightgun library!

Edited by Jim D

4 hours ago, Jim D said:

Just got my Sinden last week.  Works great, but definitely requires lots of tweaking, but absolutely worth it after the dismal results I had with the AimTrak.  They have built some handy MAME packs to help with automatically displaying the tracking borders.  Time to build out the lightgun library!

The SIndens work better than the  Aimtraks for me as well, but even better, if you are into a simple DIY project, check out JayBee's GUN4IR.

Edited by Headrush69