LaunchBox Community Forums

when to update mame?

Newlander

At this point you are 36 builds away from current (assuming 0.221 is released today on time) so just 3 years behind not a big deal. I would say its time to update just for feature improvements in the program and not necessarily for new games which there have been a few additions most notably the Star Wars Arcade version from the 90s. I can understand not wanting to update it can be a PITA and a lot of people have the if it isn't broke don't fix it mentality but for me I couldn't imagine letting it go 3 years. At this point it would be much easier to get a new set rather than trying to update your previous set and having to download all 36 update sets

• Like 1

I’m using a 210 set, went through every single game and created myself a favorite set with around 1.300 games. That’s all I need, and probably won’t update anymore or go through all the hassle again of creating a favorite set for use in LB. 

That said, in your case I would consider upgrading, as mentioned the set is a few years old and you should consider upgrading, if only for the improvements. Guess you didn’t make a favorite set? If not, upgrading is easy, just download the latest full set. 

I was on .175 or something for some time, was recently looking at getting an updated set but decided against it.... then my HDD died and I lost half my setup... a week later I'm back with everything setup with more games and a much cleaner build. If it wasnt for my HDD crashing and having this "covid 19" free time on my hands I wouldn't have updated but now I have and it was most definitely worth it. 

I know that this isn't the recommended method of updating the ROMs but I have found that if you simply grab the new torrent when it is released and download it to the same folder that your MAME ROMs are in it simply updates and that is the only step you need to have a updated set every month. Doing it this way will unfortunately not remove games who have their names changed or that are moved out of the set for whatever reason so you may have a few extra files that aren't needed but its really a lot easier to stay updated than people realize. There is however a simple tool called TorrentCheck that allows you to compare the new torrent to your existing torrent. Depending on what options you check depends on what it does. I have it delete unneeded and wrong sized files and by delete I mean have moved to the backups folder for manual deletion later. When you run TorrentCheck it solves the issues of extra and unwanted roms being included in your set.

http://forum.pleasuredome.org.uk/index.php?showtopic=34760&hl=+torrent +check

• Thanks 1

Yeah I was more just putting it out there because there is a stigma around updating MAME when really it is pretty much just as simple as downloading the torrent right over top of your existing one and getting the matching version of the emulator.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, DOS76 said:

Yeah I was more just putting it out there because there is a stigma around updating MAME when really it is pretty much just as simple as downloading the torrent right over top of your existing one and getting the matching version of the emulator.

is launchbox updated to use all working mame games? from memory it was out of date for a while , so even if i had the newest set i wouldn't be able to import them as they weren't marked as "working"