LaunchBox Community Forums

MAME: how to update it in LaunchBox?

legolas119

2 hours ago, Kuro Houou said:

change the rom path for all my games selected to the Full set folder.

That's exactly what I ended up doing. After a couple of years spending way too much time whittling down my LaunchBox/BigBox Arcade Platform, creating batch files that will copy ONLY files from my Full Set (after the monthly update) to my LB Arcade/Roms folder IF they already exist there (including bios and system files)...  I got to thinking, why keep a Full set AND a curated set.  Arcade.xml is basically already my curated set. (in a manner of speaking) So like you're saying, I bulk-changed the rompath for all the games in LB AND in "mame.ini" (don't forget ;)).  Then as far as any new additions to MAME, read "whatsnew.txt" and then a simple drag and drop into LB.

3 minutes ago, JoeViking245 said:

That's exactly what I ended up doing. After a couple of years spending way too much time whittling down my LaunchBox/BigBox Arcade Platform, creating batch files that will copy ONLY files from my Full Set (after the monthly update) to my LB Arcade/Roms folder IF they already exist there (including bios and system files)...  I got to thinking, why keep a Full set AND a curated set.  Arcade.xml is basically already my curated set. (in a manner of speaking) So like you're saying, I bulk-changed the rompath for all the games in LB AND in "mame.ini" (don't forget ;)).  Then as far as any new additions to MAME, read "whatsnew.txt" and then a simple drag and drop into LB.

How do you do it for this scenario.

21 minutes ago, wallmachine said:

How do you do it for this scenario.

Me? Honestly, I'd do it the hard way, once.  (well... OK.  Probably 3 or 4 times. ;))  Which sounds like you've got that done.  Then get the monthly MAME updates (as you see fit) and read whatsnew.

Again, for me, what works is having the Full set in one location and pointing LB to there. Then from there, manually checking out 'whatsnew'.  (I'll address some of the other issues on your other [linked] thread).

• Like 1

I ended up just doing what I said I would try, its gets the job done at least.  I do wish Launchbox would recognize which CHD folders need to go with the ROMs though when you tell it to make a copy or move them, have to do that manually still :(  Seems like that would be a must have feature imo.  I don't know if ill be updating my MAME curated set all that often anyways so its not horrible.  

• Game On 1

Thank you I'll Will try this when I finish downloading the new update. What I was doing was after updating mame and the rom set was going through the new game and manually adding them to LaunchBox.  I want to see if I can write an add-on that can import mame updates like Clrmamepro and then give you the options like full set importer but just the updates.  I'm trying to figure out how to how to do that if anyone has any idea how to do that please let me know