LaunchBox Community Forums

2player along side 4player

floodie

hi guys - in my Arcade wheel... i would like the 2player rom right next to the 4player version. So for instance - Simpons to look like it shows up twice however one is 2p and the other is 4p. 

Currently the 4player rom is in my library, if i simply drag in the 2p varient would it add alongside or overwrite my existing 4p rom?

Cheers

1 hour ago, floodie said:

hi guys - in my Arcade wheel... i would like the 2player rom right next to the 4player version. So for instance - Simpons to look like it shows up twice however one is 2p and the other is 4p. 

Currently the 4player rom is in my library, if i simply drag in the 2p varient would it add alongside or overwrite my existing 4p rom?

Cheers

You would have to select the option to "Force Import Duplicate Games" in the import wizard. Also, as long as you do not select the option to "Combine Roms with Matching Titles inot Single Game" it will add it along side the other one.

Sorry one last question - for games where you dont need a 2player or 4player rom. Say Wrestle fest where you change the Dip switches... can i duplicate a Rom and for each set the dip switches accordingly?

Reason for all this is i have 2 xbox pads on the front of the machine. So when its a party and 4 players want to play then great, however if just 1 or 2 people want to play then they dont want to be stuck with Marge on the 1player side, so the 2player rom option is very handy.

Cheers

Just thinking out aloud here... Perhaps the only way to do this is have 2 copies of the rom but in different folders the one where the Dipswitches are set to 4P are in One folder, and the other where the dips are set to 2P in another folder

1 minute ago, floodie said:

Just thinking out aloud here... Perhaps the only way to do this is have 2 copies of the rom but in different folders the one where the Dipswitches are set to 4P are in One folder, and the other where the dips are set to 2P in another folder

I believe when changing dip switches a .cfg file is made and is named after the rom, so you wouldnt be able to have two versions as the .cfg's would have the same name as its the same rom.

You could do this with only one version of the emulator.

This in theory should work. Import the same rom twice as you have before by forcing duplicates

Open the Rom in Mame (not via Launchbox at the moment just to make it easier) and set up the config for two player-Exit game so the config is saved-Navigate to cfg folder in Mame-Make a copy of btoads.cfg and rename as btoads2p.cfg.

Repeat the above but for 4 player version and call btoads4p.cfg

In theory you now have 3 configs for this game, btoads.cfg, btoads2p.cfg and btoads4p.cfg

Now make an AHK with the following-this is for the 2 player version-it copies and renames the 2 player config to override the current battle toads config so game will load up with 2 player settings-obviously you will need to change the pathway to match your pathway

FileCopy, C:\Users\User1\LaunchBox\Emulator\Mame\cfg\btoads2p.cfg, C:\Users\User1\LaunchBox\Emulator\Mame\cfg\btoads.cfg, 1

Add it as an additional app to the 2 player game in Launchbox and set to run before main application and to wait for exit-that way the correct config file is in place before Mame tries to open it

Now make an AHK with the following-this is for the 4 player version-it copies and renames the 4 player config to override the current battle toads config so game will load up with 4 player settings-obviously you will need to change the pathway to match your pathway

FileCopy, C:\Users\User1\LaunchBox\Emulator\Mame\cfg\btoads4p.cfg, C:\Users\User1\LaunchBox\Emulator\Mame\cfg\btoads.cfg, 1

Add it as an additional app to the 4 player game in Launchbox and set to run before main application and to wait for exit-that way the correct config file is in place before Mame tries to open it

Both these ahk's don't bothering replacing the file at the end, they just leave it as the last played config, but that doesn't matter as it overrides it when you next launch the game.

Hopefully that will work for you.

Edited by Kiinkyfoxx