LaunchBox Community Forums

Vertical Aspirations - A vertically oriented cabinet theme (Animated Marquee Mod Added)

@pahleto OK, so I've been messing around a bit with this. When you say Star Rating, do you mean community rating or user rating? I have to admit that I don't really use any of that stuff, but I can see how some folks would like to have it. I've come up with something that maintains the minimalist look of the theme and includes your requests (with community rating). I can let you try it out and see if it works for you. I've basically put those text fields on the bottom of the screen. When you land on a game in the wheel, the text pops up for a few seconds then disappears. If you think its useful, I might go ahead and update all the views and include it in a future release once version 1.0.9.0 of the Theme Creator is released and I have time to go over everything.

I'll send you a private message with the theme files for you to try.

Do you think it would be possible for you to add the marquee show feature to other views other than arcade when displaying the games clear logo? i loaded pinball fx3 and only have clear logos that ive found and it doesnt look good for me when its on the top and bottom...you theme is cool but i was trying to get a look sorta like arcade vs pinball if possible. thank you sir

4 hours ago, SilverChin said:

Do you think it would be possible for you to add the marquee show feature to other views other than arcade when displaying the games clear logo? i loaded pinball fx3 and only have clear logos that ive found and it doesnt look good for me when its on the top and bottom...you theme is cool but i was trying to get a look sorta like arcade vs pinball if possible. thank you sir

Are you using the full-screen pinball playfield view for pinball, or are you use the default games view? The image below is the intended pinball view. Is this where you'd like to see the marquee/backbox image? I could possibly set it up to use a marquee on the top with a fallback to use a clear logo if no marquee is found.

Big Box Screenshot - Vertical Aspirations - HorizontalWheel3GamesView - 2020-07-23 21.51.21.jpg

@SilverChin

How is this? This is using alternate clear logos I found somewhere that I placed in the \Launchbox\Images\Pinball FX3\Arcade - Marquee folder. Pinball doesn't really have marquees unless you consider the backbox to be the marquee. These look like the ones the CoinOps guys are using on their Arcade vs Pinball builds, so I assume these are what you were talking about. If you like it, I'll put out an updated release tomorrow evening.

368676612_pinballmarquee.thumb.png.3920fd755cdd5e52bf7606966e26125d.png610556141_pinballmarquee2.thumb.png.8b1a69d06e658b8d1e0e82c2a56dc03d.png

I have considered adding a vertical bezel on some views but I haven't figured out the best way to go about it yet. I'll try to come up with something to put out in the next release, hopefully tonight or some time this weekend. Honestly though, I was going to do this to accommodate vertical Mame games. Pinball tables don't use a screen or a bezel in real life so building this out for pinball tables never occurred to me. No reason you can't use that view for pinball however once the view is built into the theme. It will support Marquees as well.

Got a question for you sir I seem to be having a lot of trouble with pinball fx3 on exit, my issue is when I exit using the alt f4 technique it pauses and removes the game from big box but it's still in launcbox? Have you seen this? So a follow up is do you suggest using the steam or non steam version are you using rocketlauncher or just bigbox to launch and what type of script do you have to exit? Allot of questions I'm sorry but im haviing a terrible time with this and unfortunately don't see allot of mentions on the post. Thank you

51 minutes ago, SilverChin said:

Got a question for you sir I seem to be having a lot of trouble with pinball fx3 on exit, my issue is when I exit using the alt f4 technique it pauses and removes the game from big box but it's still in launcbox? Have you seen this? So a follow up is do you suggest using the steam or non steam version are you using rocketlauncher or just bigbox to launch and what type of script do you have to exit? Allot of questions I'm sorry but im haviing a terrible time with this and unfortunately don't see allot of mentions on the post. Thank you

I don't use Alt-f4 for PinballFX3. I don't think it plays nice with the software. I just use the esc key and back out of the tables and do a graceful exit. Not ideal, I know, but that's how I do it. To be honest though, although I have all those tables and have them set up, but I don't really play them that much. Someone else might have a better solution I'm not aware of. There's another guy on the forums here, @sundogak that is pretty knowledgeable about virtual pinball and BigBox. He might have a better solution than me.

Also, do you mean when you use alt F4 it exits the game back to Bigbox or literally removes the game from the wheel? That would be weird. 

I'm using the Steam version and no rocket launcher, just BigBox. Non steam versions shouldn't have any problems either though. Good luck.

About the latest update to the theme... I found out last night that I missed implementing the new marquee stuff I was doing to a few of the views. I'll try to put out an update tonight or tomorrow. I'm also looking into creating some custom platform banners to specifically fit in the marquee area of this theme. If anyone knows of some marquee suitable platform banner images that will fit in the marquee area without using stretch fill (or very little stretch), I would love to know where I could find them. The marquee area is roughly 1080 x 350.

On 1/21/2021 at 2:07 PM, SilverChin said:

So is there anyway to exit other than to back out all the way?

One thing to clarify in the thread linked above is that I only added in the autohotkey script for FX3 because I wanted to use the Escape key to exit when close to keyboard versus it being treated as back in FX3. When using the controller, that AHK does nothing.  Launchbox/BB controls exiting FX3 with Controller via Options, Game Controllers, Mappings setup (snip example below).  Make sure you setup your BB as well since separate settings from LB.  For most emulators that now "just works" without having to include an AHK for controller mapping for exit.  The LB/BB controller mapping feature is relatively recent, so if looking at older threads there were more AHK hoops to jump through to do what LB does internally now. If having issues with the AHK I would remove it if just want to use controller for that purpose. If losing focus then likely something else is amiss.   

Capture.JPG

• Like 1

On 1/22/2021 at 1:20 PM, sundogak said:

One thing to clarify in the thread linked above is that I only added in the autohotkey script for FX3 because I wanted to use the Escape key to exit when close to keyboard versus it being treated as back in FX3. When using the controller, that AHK does nothing.  Launchbox/BB controls exiting FX3 with Controller via Options, Game Controllers, Mappings setup (snip example below).  Make sure you setup your BB as well since separate settings from LB.  For most emulators that now "just works" without having to include an AHK for controller mapping for exit.  The LB/BB controller mapping feature is relatively recent, so if looking at older threads there were more AHK hoops to jump through to do what LB does internally now. If having issues with the AHK I would remove it if just want to use controller for that purpose. If losing focus then likely something else is amiss.   

Capture.JPG

So.... coming back around to this. I tried and tried to get the launchbox built in ahk to work and I couldn't get anywhere with it. I ended up building the external ahk and compiling that. Strange how the internal ahk works for some people sometimes and not for others.

So something I noticed after I posted this last night. The Alt f4 method works to close FX3 with that file I built, but when I open a different table, FX3 asks if I want to re-open the one I had previously closed. It doesn't do this if I close tables the "correct way". Honestly, I love getting frustrated and trying to solve stuff like this, but for as little as I play FX3, its just not worth the trouble for me. I think I'll stick to going through the menu to close. I might come around to revisit this though.... I'm a glutton for punishment, LOL.