LaunchBox Community Forums

Corrupted Images

Hey all,

After restarting my LaunchBox build from numerous drives, I've been going through some type of time consuming hassle regarding game images.

After bruteforce importing some ROMs, some of the ROMs Images from the games database will look like this:

image.png.1fd026bce2145f26d444d4d5479f0e94.pngI've found one way to fix this, but it was the time consuming way. Going from one game to another, removing all images and redownloading them after. Is there a way to do this with the Bulk Edit Wizard? Or do I stick to the way I've been using for a while?

Thanks.

Edited by games

1 hour ago, games said:

After restarting my LaunchBox build from numerous drives, I've been going through some type of time consuming hassle regarding game images.

This part confuses me off the bat, care to elaborate?

1 hour ago, games said:

I've found one way to fix this, but it was the time consuming way. Going from one game to another, removing all images and redownloading them after. Is there a way to do this with the Bulk Edit Wizard?

Yes, yes there is. Highlite the games, tools/download metadata and media wizard.

@neil9000 Very sorry I wasn't clear there, what I meant to say was that I was always rebuilding my LaunchBox builds because I was going through different external hard drives in a short amount of time, because I found transferring my original build time consuming, so I decided to just remake my LaunchBox build. While I was rebuilding, I was mass-importing my ROMs to save time, but after finding out that 80% of my images looked liked this:

image.png.1fd026bce2145f26d444d4d5479f0e94.png

I was in a constant loop of selecting one game at a time and it just felt like a chore.

12 minutes ago, games said:

@neil9000 Very sorry I wasn't clear there, what I meant to say was that I was always rebuilding my LaunchBox builds because I was going through different external hard drives in a short amount of time, because I found transferring my original build time consuming, so I decided to just remake my LaunchBox build. While I was rebuilding, I was mass-importing my ROMs to save time, but after finding out that 80% of my images looked liked this:

image.png.1fd026bce2145f26d444d4d5479f0e94.png

I was in a constant loop of selecting one game at a time and it just felt like a chore.

That is something i have only ever seen with corrupted video files, and it happens in real time, its not a straight up image. Very strange.

https://www.google.com/search?q=vlc+green+screen+curruption&tbm=isch&ved=2ahUKEwjtvt_DvtDrAhUS1eAKHXQxCEIQ2-cCegQIABAA&oq=vlc+green+screen+curruption&gs_lcp=CgNpbWcQAzoECAAQHjoECAAQGFCDLli1R2D6SWgAcAB4AIABQ4gBmAWSAQIxMZgBAKABAaoBC2d3cy13aXotaW1nwAEB&sclient=img&ei=f7dSX62DKZKqgwf04qCQBA&bih=981&biw=1920

7 minutes ago, games said:

@neil9000 Doesn't LaunchBox grab it's images directly from the Games Database? If that is so, then why does it show up corrupted?

Well that is exactly my point. The images in the database are just fine as usual, nothing corrupted there at all, but yours are. So, that leads me to believe its a issue on your end. If it was us, we would have thousands of different users screaming at us right now cause there images are bad. Instead we have just you.

Pick a small platform, like 32X and delete the whole Launchbox/Images/Sega 32X folder. Then click one game in the UI and CTRL A to select them all, then Tools/Download Metadata and Media, and check the media items you want. 

What do you get when you download them?

1 minute ago, games said:

@neil9000 Is the Super Nintendo Entertainment System OK? I'm still in the process of rebuilding on my 1tb drive so ?

To be honest with you im reluctant to say, it may be your HDD that is the issue, so im not gonna recommend you delete a large platform like that of its media.

• 1 year later...

@games did you find your issue?

I was having the same issue with some downloaded images being corrupt. Some are corrupt enough that Launchbox crashes because it can't decode the image header.
The issue wasn't specific images, it was fairly random - if I redownloaded all the images for my library a different set of images would be corrupt.
Redownloading media for an individual game fixed that game's images.

My drive is OK - it's been ChkDsk-ed and SMART checked.  It's an SSD and there are no other signs of corruption.
My Windows is OK too - it's been DISM-ed and SFC-ed for good measure.

I'm pretty sure my issue was some other process corrupting the Launchbox download/save process.

Shutting down Dropbox and excluding the Launchbox Images folder from antivirus and antimalware scans while downloading made a huge difference.
I'd get corrupt images within the first page or two, but after turning off the realtime scans for the Launchbox folder I haven't seen the issue come up again.

Edited by bhiga
clarify redownload for one game didn't fix them all

Same now my videos on Launchbox Bigbox are currupted showing black.

Also transition between systems is corrupted also.

The videos play just fine outside of launchbox when i launch them on Window media player they work just fine.

its only inside launchbox that they have problems playing.

Was working just fine last week

See on the pictures between last week and now20220307_214128.thumb.jpg.d51e307bc6d77b3c45020fed384bab8f.jpg20220318_135657.thumb.jpg.04634aa4663e314f088a1b5e677c1b25.jpg

40 minutes ago, Alkaholic46 said:

Same now my videos on Launchbox Bigbox are currupted showing black.

Also transition between systems is corrupted also.

The videos play just fine outside of launchbox when i launch them on Window media player they work just fine.

its only inside launchbox that they have problems playing.

Was working just fine last week

See on the pictures between last week and now20220307_214128.thumb.jpg.d51e307bc6d77b3c45020fed384bab8f.jpg20220318_135657.thumb.jpg.04634aa4663e314f088a1b5e677c1b25.jpg

Based on your screenshot, it looks more like you may have nahimic services running on your computer, which is known to cause graphical issues with WPF applications. If you do have it running, I'd recommend uninstalling the program and disabling the service.

34 minutes ago, faeran said:

Based on your screenshot, it looks more like you may have nahimic services running on your computer, which is known to cause graphical issues with WPF applications. If you do have it running, I'd recommend uninstalling the program and disabling the service.

ill give it a try thanks

39 minutes ago, faeran said:

That aint it i dont have Nahimic services installed

3 hours ago, Mr. RetroLust said:

I've had corrupted images (and other problems) a few years ago outside launchbox, in the end it was a (new) bad ram module. Not saying that its the problem you are having but maybe something to check as well.

Though not the culprit on my system (I ran both MemTest86 and Windows Memory Diagnostic through 2+ passes) this is definitely something good to check and mark off the list of possibilities.
RAM issues are often not obvious (despite what the manufacturers tell you, mixing can be problematic and even two sticks that are fine on their own can decide not to play nicely together - and overheating can definitely be an issue too).

I'm still getting random corruption on the Launchbox downloads (and no other downloads) - browsing the Images folder I get see typical JPEG corruption (image okay then a color scramble line followed by offset remaining image) and "pixel confetti" type corruption.  So they're landing corrupt on disk, so in my case at least, it's not just on the display, unfortunately.

• Like 1