LaunchBox Community Forums

BigBox Error Messages When Applying New Theme

W3880

Unable to change theme on BigBox,  I can install any theme, however get the below message when attemping to apply and theme returns to default and I recieve 3 error messages stating "an error ocurred while parsing the custom" 1st for system platform, 2nd for thumbnails, and 3rd for platform wheel, then just defaults back to default theme, am also getting these 3 error messages when launching big box. This seemed to happen after applying BannerBox theme, and BannerBox is the only theme I can now apply and error messages stop.

BBError1.png

BBError2.png

Ok seem to have found a fix, my themes are  being downloaded to LaunchBox\Themes, but for some reason unified and unified redux are looking in LaunchBox\core\themes and the folder is empty? Most other themes seem to be working ok with themes files left where launch box has put them, in LaunchBox\themes. The LaunchBox\cores\themes folder was empty? I've moved unified folder there and now works? Should I have the 2 different theme folders in 2 different locations?

Ok still not working as it should be, appears that the cores\theme folder is only present when bigbox is running and program should move theme folder there when applied, seems for some reason bigbox is not moving unified and unified redux to core\themes when applied as main theme - if anyone has a fix for this it would be greatly appreciated.

On 9/14/2020 at 2:33 PM, W3880 said:

Ok still not working as it should be, appears that the cores\theme folder is only present when bigbox is running and program should move theme folder there when applied, seems for some reason bigbox is not moving unified and unified redux to core\themes when applied as main theme - if anyone has a fix for this it would be greatly appreciated.

That theme folder in the core is just a symlink/junction link to your actual theme folder. I am not sure specifically if LB builds the symlink in all cases or in some. The links were added when 11.4 came out and there were some other theme related issues. When you click that theme folder in your Core folder it should contain everything you would see if you went straight to the \Launchbox\Theme folder. Did you download the theme from within the BigBox theme installer options?

11.5 just came out. Download it and see if it still is happening.

Screen Shot 2020-09-14 at 3.32.02 PM.png

Thanks @Retro808, core\theme only seems to populate with current theme 's folder, when I change theme they go again, I install themes straight from big box menu, (is there an alternative source to this?) not sure if there is an issue with it, some themes seem to be fine, however none of the theme platform video's are downloading either? Just checked colourful theme, no videos in it's platform folder or any of the other theme's video\platform folders, is this right, do you have to download platform video's separtely? I've downloaded 11.5 - no change unfortunately. I was using bigbox ack in Feb with no issues, just spent a few setting emulators up again, this is teh final headache that I wasn't expecting.

@Retro808, firtsly thank you for all your help, greatly appreciated, people like yourself really make the retro community what it is! Yes on extrenal drive, I've done this so portable, and plan to copy to another external hdd so have back up. Following your previous posts i discovered that platform videos need to be downloaded independently which I have now done. Unfortunatley still cant use certain themes such as unifiedand unified redux, can't figure out why?

22 hours ago, W3880 said:

@Retro808, firtsly thank you for all your help, greatly appreciated, people like yourself really make the retro community what it is! Yes on extrenal drive, I've done this so portable, and plan to copy to another external hdd so have back up. Following your previous posts i discovered that platform videos need to be downloaded independently which I have now done. Unfortunatley still cant use certain themes such as unifiedand unified redux, can't figure out why?

I'm not following why Unified or Unified Redux wouldn't be working properly for you, but one thing that is important to note is that the file system on the external drive matters. It's best if you use NTFS instead of exFAT or FAT32. Does that help anything?

Hi @Jason Carr, I'll check later, buts its 1tb external hdd, im sure they come as NTFS.  Did you see error messages above, with unified and unified redux it cant find theme files in cores\themes, seems to be OK with other themes? I did put unified theme folder in cores\themes and it worked, core\theme only available when launch box is open.

5 minutes ago, W3880 said:

Hi @Jason Carr, I'll check later, buts its 1tb external hdd, im sure they come as NTFS.  Did you see error messages above, with unified and unified redux it cant find theme files in cores\themes, seems to be OK with other themes? I did put unified theme folder in cores\themes and it worked, core\theme only available when launch box is open.

I did see the error messages, yes. They're just missing files messages, basically. The 11.5/11.6 releases should take care of that stuff without issues, which is why I'm puzzled. Let me know for certain if you're running NTFS. You may just need to delete your LaunchBox\Core folder and do a reinstall over top.

Cool  will do, downloaded beta 11.5 a couple of days ago, no change, will check storage format and let you know. Is it straight forward replacing core file without disrupting everything else, always fills me with dread as takes several days to compile art work, video ect. What is the core file name and file type?

• 2 weeks later...

Getting this same error. Bigbox throwing errors for any and all custom themes and none of them work. I do not have anything on an external drive. I have deleted Lunchbox/Core and reinstalled 11.6 on top of it without any result. It actually throws the errors even when I switch back to the default theme now.

Edited by Middcore

9 hours ago, Middcore said:

Getting this same error. Bigbox throwing errors for any and all custom themes and none of them work. I do not have anything on an external drive. I have deleted Lunchbox/Core and reinstalled 11.6 on top of it without any result. It actually throws the errors even when I switch back to the default theme now.

What specific errors are you getting?

2 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

What specific errors are you getting?

Screenshots attached. This happens with any and all themes other than the default in Retroarch 11.6, it even happens switching to the other included theme, CriticalZone.error1.PNG

error2.PNG

error3.PNG

Edited by Middcore

Thanks @Middcore. What theme were you running when those errors appeared? Unfortunately, I'm guessing you have some sort of corruption with your .NET Framework or .NET Core installs. It might be worth trying to uninstall and reinstall them. It also might help to run "sfc /scannow" from a command-line to see if it finds and fixes any Windows errors or corruption.