LaunchBox Community Forums

BigBox Error Messages When Applying New Theme

W3880

3 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

Good to hear that you're back up and running @KM_Zero; I just wish we could figure out what on earth was going on with your D drive. Hopefully @Middcore's log file will give us a clue.

Yeah Im hoping we can get some information on it. I did compare a few files from the c and d drive for LaunchBox but sadly thats where stuff like that goes over my head as I wouldn't have a clue what to actually look for. From what I could tell when comparing those files was that it all looked the same with no differences

18 minutes ago, KM_Zero said:

Yeah Im hoping we can get some information on it. I did compare a few files from the c and d drive for LaunchBox but sadly thats where stuff like that goes over my head as I wouldn't have a clue what to actually look for. From what I could tell when comparing those files was that it all looked the same with no differences

That makes sense, since you just copied the files over. All I can figure is that maybe there's a file system permissions issue or something of that nature. Or maybe a download-locked DLL? I really don't know what else it would be.

9 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

Good to hear that you're back up and running @KM_Zero; I just wish we could figure out what on earth was going on with your D drive. Hopefully @Middcore's log file will give us a clue.

Can't give you a log file, unfortunately. Because after I installed Launchbox on another PC, got it working without issue, copied the whole thing over to my emulator PC, and immediately got the same errors again, I got fed up. I did a complete clean reinstall of Windows on the emulator PC and started over.

The good news is all themes now work flawlessly. The bad news I still have no idea what was actually causing the problem before so I can't be of any help to anybody who might run into the same issue in figuring out if there was a less extreme fix. But I felt a week and a half of screwing around is enough and nuking it from orbit was the only way to be sure. I do appreciate the efforts to assist, though. 

Edited by Middcore

• 3 months later...

Hi, just wondering what ever happened with this, I’m having the exact same issue, only the default theme works and every other theme gives me error messages, launchbox is installed on the C drive, I’m going to check to see if it’s a permissions problem now, and probably try reinstalling into a new drive, I won’t delete the broken install if you need any logs then let me know, also if the sheds any light on it, it only happens whenever you go to a new menu, once you’ve hit enter on the error it won’t come back until you change menus

Edited by dzammit85
Added more info

3 hours ago, dzammit85 said:

Ok so I’ve just restarted my pc and the problem is gone, I was using unified and ultra wide on a 4K tv, maybe it’s something to do with the aspect ratio

Yeah, I'm not sure what causes this temporarily for people (I think it's some app interfering with the LaunchBox files somehow), but generally, rebooting fixes it.

• 1 month later...

Hey, I was having the same exact issue, basically the same point it started failing too, after I applied the BannerBox theme.

I went through all the steps besides copying over my data, because I have quite a bit of games in the collection. But, found one thing: I installed a fresh version of LaunchBox and went to that Launchbox/Core folder and saw that there were symlinks set up, but for some reason the sym links on my broken version aren't linked to those folders any more. LaunchBox will create the folder, but it just isn't linked to the actual theme folder anymore.

Update:

After moving all of my data (Data, Images, Manuals, Metadata, Music, Videos) over to the new directory of the fresh LaunchBox install, everything seems to work fine. For what ever reason the symlinks that are in the Core folder all broke sometime after installing the CoverBox theme... weird.

Edited by TzTok-Jeffy

13 hours ago, TzTok-Jeffy said:

Hey, I was having the same exact issue, basically the same point it started failing too, after I applied the BannerBox theme.

I went through all the steps besides copying over my data, because I have quite a bit of games in the collection. But, found one thing: I installed a fresh version of LaunchBox and went to that Launchbox/Core folder and saw that there were symlinks set up, but for some reason the sym links on my broken version aren't linked to those folders any more. LaunchBox will create the folder, but it just isn't linked to the actual theme folder anymore.

Can you explain what you mean by "aren't linked to those folders anymore"? I don't understand how a symlink could be not linked. Maybe they're linked to the wrong folder? This might be a clue as to what's going on in rare situations, so it's worth figuring out. Thanks for chiming in. :)

2 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

Can you explain what you mean by "aren't linked to those folders anymore"? I don't understand how a symlink could be not linked. Maybe they're linked to the wrong folder? This might be a clue as to what's going on in rare situations, so it's worth figuring out. Thanks for chiming in. :)

Yeah sorry if I worded that weird, here are some screenshots to show you what I mean.

The first screenshot is from the folder of the broken version of LaunchBox

The second one is the fresh install of Launchbox

See how the folders don't have the little arrow icon? They somehow lost their reference to their respective folders in the broken version, which answers why the error message is popping up. It's because there is nothing inside of the folders where it is expecting the Theme data to be.

NoSymLink.png

SymLink.png

Edited by TzTok-Jeffy

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I started having this issue as well:

My original LB/BB drive got too big, moved entire  LB  folder structure to new drive.

1. Pointed all Emulators, Platform Folders and Games to New Drive.

2. Started having the issue changing themes in BB.

Will try grab a good log when happens next time, does not seem to happen with retrotastic theme so far.

I do think its some kind of weird permission issue with new drive.

Running lastest Beta of LB/BB, Window 10 pro version 21h1

Edited by bran479

20 hours ago, bran479 said:

I started having this issue as well:

My original LB/BB drive got too big, moved entire  LB  folder structure to new drive.

1. Pointed all Emulators, Platform Folders and Games to New Drive.

2. Started having the issue changing themes in BB.

Will try grab a good log when happens next time, does not seem to happen with retrotastic theme so far.

I do think its some kind of weird permission issue with new drive.

Running lastest Beta of LB/BB, Window 10 pro version 21h1

Hi @bran479. Do you know what the file system is of your new drive?

4 hours ago, bran479 said:

exfat.  I just left it as default which could be the issue, I have not had the issue reoccur on retrostastic so leaving it alone to big of a hassle to reformat and redo

Looks like the file system is your issue. exfat doesn't have the necessary symlink functionality, which is why you are seeing the errors.

If you have the capability sometime in the future, get your data off of the drive and format it to NTFS.