LaunchBox Community Forums

BigBox Error Messages When Applying New Theme

W3880

10 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Thanks @Middcore. What theme were you running when those errors appeared? Unfortunately, I'm guessing you have some sort of corruption with your .NET Framework or .NET Core installs. It might be worth trying to uninstall and reinstall them. It also might help to run "sfc /scannow" from a command-line to see if it finds and fixes any Windows errors or corruption.

Hello Jason, thanks for the suggestion. I have run scannow and it said it repaired certain corrupted files but it makes no difference with the problem. I am at a loss as to how I would uninstall and reinstall the .NET framework and instalk. My understanding is they cannot be uninstalled from Windows 10 anyway. My framework is 4.8, which is the newest, and I've just installed the latest version of the core. The problem persists.

1 minute ago, Middcore said:

Hello Jason, thanks for the suggestion. I have run scannow and it said it repaired certain corrupted files but it makes no difference with the problem. I am at a loss as to how I would uninstall and reinstall the .NET framework and instalk. My understanding is they cannot be uninstalled from Windows 10 anyway. My framework is 4.8, which is the newest, and I've just installed the latest version of the core. The problem persists.

If it did indeed repair some corrupted files, then I'm fairly certain that Windows corruption is the culprit, unfortunately. From what I've read, sometimes you do have to run the "sfc /scannow" command multiple times in order to fix everything, so that would be worth trying. The best course of action is to run it after a fresh reboot, and keep rebooting and running it until it no longer reports any errors. Let me know if that makes any difference.

If it might shed any further light... here's what happens when I try to use the AllNightLong theme (just an example, no themes other than default work)... you can see it loading the AllNightLong platform images inside the box the default theme uses for platform images, but that's all it manages.

error4.PNG

Edited by Middcore
fixed missing attachment

7 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

If it did indeed repair some corrupted files, then I'm fairly certain that Windows corruption is the culprit, unfortunately. From what I've read, sometimes you do have to run the "sfc /scannow" command multiple times in order to fix everything, so that would be worth trying. The best course of action is to run it after a fresh reboot, and keep rebooting and running it until it no longer reports any errors. Let me know if that makes any difference.

I've done it twice more and it no longer finds any errors. The problem in Launchbox persists. 

2 minutes ago, Middcore said:

I've done it twice more and it no longer finds any errors. The problem in Launchbox persists. 

Okay, try completely uninstalling .NET Core from add/remove programs, then reboot, download, and run this:

https://download.visualstudio.microsoft.com/download/pr/add2ffbe-a288-4d47-8b09-a39c8645f505/8516700dd5bd85fe07e8010e55d8f653/windowsdesktop-runtime-3.1.8-win-x64.exe

If that doesn't work, what version of Windows 10 are you running? You can get the details on the version by typing "winver" into the Start menu.

1 hour ago, Jason Carr said:

Okay, try completely uninstalling .NET Core from add/remove programs, then reboot, download, and run this:

https://download.visualstudio.microsoft.com/download/pr/add2ffbe-a288-4d47-8b09-a39c8645f505/8516700dd5bd85fe07e8010e55d8f653/windowsdesktop-runtime-3.1.8-win-x64.exe

If that doesn't work, what version of Windows 10 are you running? You can get the details on the version by typing "winver" into the Start menu.

Done, didn't make any difference.  I was on version 1903, just updated to version 2004. Problem persists after update. 

Edited by Middcore

Just now, Jason Carr said:

Well, I'm pretty puzzled then, as I haven't heard of this issue from anyone else. What theme are you trying to use?

Like I've said, it happens on every single theme I have tried besides the default. The default is the ONLY theme that functions and does not throw these errors. A partial list of ones I've tried so far:

AllNightLong

BannerBox

CoverBox

CityHunter 2

RetroFresh

I'm considering nuking my Launchbox install and starting over as a last resort but I'd like to avoid that as it will take half a day to reimport all of my games, etc.

1 minute ago, Middcore said:

Like I've said, it happens on every single theme I have tried besides the default. The default is the ONLY theme that functions and does not throw these errors. A partial list of ones I've tried so far:

AllNightLong

BannerBox

CoverBox

CityHunter 2

RetroFresh

I'm considering nuking my Launchbox install and starting over as a last resort but I'd like to avoid that as it will take half a day to reimport all of my games, etc.

If you install a fresh Launchbox to a different location, and copy across one of the platform.xmls and add a theme that currently errors do you still get the same issues?

8 minutes ago, Middcore said:

AllNightLong

BannerBox

CoverBox

CityHunter 2

RetroFresh

It would be good to know if you get these same errors on a new install. The good thing though is that you don't have to get rid of your current install; you can just install a new copy into a new folder. Let me know if installing a new copy into a new folder gives you the same issues.

5 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

If you install a fresh Launchbox to a different location, and copy across one of the platform.xmls and add a theme that currently errors do you still get the same issues?

I don't understand what you mean by copying one of the platform.xmls. Where would I find these?

2 minutes ago, Middcore said:

I don't understand what you mean by copying one of the platform.xmls. Where would I find these?

In the Launchbox/Data/Platfoms folder is where they are stored, lists named after the platforms that list the games you have. Just copy it to the same location in the new install, its just quicker than importing a platform. Dont forget to copy your license also.

8 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

In the Launchbox/Data/Platfoms folder is where they are stored, lists named after the platforms that list the games you have. Just copy it to the same location in the new install, its just quicker than importing a platform. Dont forget to copy your license also.

Gotcha. 

Installed Launchbox to a different location (documents folder), copied over platforms xmls. Installed one of my problematic themes. Same error messages and reverts to default theme with bits of the installed theme frankensteined into it. In other words, same problem on a fresh install.

Edited by Middcore

Just wanted to piggy back off of this real quick and say that Im having the same issues. About a week or so ago everything was fine, then I load up BigBox today and every single theme gives me that huge list of errors and doesnt work. Tried everything explained in this thread and no luck. Bummer ?

29 minutes ago, Jason6300 said:

I'm having issues with the theme manager in Big Box 11.7 beta 3. I cannot change themes if the computer is offline. If the them is already downloaded, shouldn't I be able to select a different them without requiring an internet connection?

The themes manager does require an Internet connection to gather the details of all the themes. If you don't have an active connection, you can still change themes by simply changing the Theme setting under the Big Box View options.

2 hours ago, Middcore said:

Not trying to bother but it would be nice to know this is being looked at and taken seriously as an issue. 

I haven't seen this or been able to replicate it elsewhere at this point. @Middcore and @KM_Zero, can you send me a screenshot of your LaunchBox\Core folder in Windows Explorer? Also, does it help anything to update to the latest beta? You can update to the beta by going to Tools > Options > General > Updates and checking the box to update to beta releases. You may also want to disable background updates in order to trigger it immediately on a restart.

23 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

The themes manager does require an Internet connection to gather the details of all the themes. If you don't have an active connection, you can still change themes by simply changing the Theme setting under the Big Box View options.

I haven't seen this or been able to replicate it elsewhere at this point. @Middcore and @KM_Zero, can you send me a screenshot of your LaunchBox\Core folder in Windows Explorer? Also, does it help anything to update to the latest beta? You can update to the beta by going to Tools > Options > General > Updates and checking the box to update to beta releases. You may also want to disable background updates in order to trigger it immediately on a restart.

Attached are screens showing the whole contents of the Launchbox/Core folder (too much to fit in one screen and I didn't know what you needed to see).

I just updated to the latest beta and it makes no difference, same errors. 

launchbox core 3.PNG

launchbox core screen 1.PNG

launchbox core screen 2.PNG

Edited by Middcore