LaunchBox Community Forums

BigBox Error Messages When Applying New Theme

W3880

So on my end I downloaded to the latest beta version and still got the huge list of errors. I did however try to install Launchbox again to the c drive, added one game to test it out, launched big box, downloaded a theme, and it worked! I guess my only issue is going to be setting everything back up which took me forever. Im guessing there probably isnt an easy way to do it and I will just have to start from scratch?

21 minutes ago, KM_Zero said:

So on my end I downloaded to the latest beta version and still got the huge list of errors. I did however try to install Launchbox again to the c drive, added one game to test it out, launched big box, downloaded a theme, and it worked! I guess my only issue is going to be setting everything back up which took me forever. Im guessing there probably isnt an easy way to do it and I will just have to start from scratch?

It should be easy enough to copy your data and media folders over. It would be nice to know what's causing it though in the old folder. What I would do first, is copy the LaunchBox\Data folder over from the old folder to the new folder. Be sure to do it while LaunchBox is not running of course. It'll be interesting to know if you start running into issues after doing that or not.

2 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

It should be easy enough to copy your data and media folders over. It would be nice to know what's causing it though in the old folder. What I would do first, is copy the LaunchBox\Data folder over from the old folder to the new folder. Be sure to do it while LaunchBox is not running of course. It'll be interesting to know if you start running into issues after doing that or not.

I have completely deleted Launchbox from my system and reinstalled, preserving only my data folder. As soon as I apply and install any custom theme the same error messages return.

Did you see the screenshots I posted of my launchbox/core folder?

1 hour ago, Middcore said:

I have completely deleted Launchbox from my system and reinstalled, preserving only my data folder. As soon as I apply and install any custom theme the same error messages return.

Yeah, I know. Still puzzled though because most people aren't running into this issue, and I haven't been able to replicate it.

1 hour ago, Middcore said:

Did you see the screenshots I posted of my launchbox/core folder?

I did; unfortunately they're as expected, so that doesn't appear to be the issue. Can you confirm if installing fresh (without copying your data folder over) still has the same issue? If not, then at least we know it's something in the Data folder somehow.

2 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

Yeah, I know. Still puzzled though because most people aren't running into this issue, and I haven't been able to replicate it.

I did; unfortunately they're as expected, so that doesn't appear to be the issue. Can you confirm if installing fresh (without copying your data folder over) still has the same issue? If not, then at least we know it's something in the Data folder somehow.

I have done a fresh install carrying nothing over. I don't even need to download a new custom theme, switching to the CriticalZone theme which comes with Launchbox triggers the errors immediately and of course CriticalZone looks completely broken as well.

Use of ANY theme other than the default one appears impossible. 

4 minutes ago, Middcore said:

I have done a fresh install carrying nothing over. I don't even need to download a new custom theme, switching to the CriticalZone theme which comes with Launchbox triggers the errors immediately and of course CriticalZone looks completely broken as well.

Use of ANY theme other than the default one appears impossible. 

Could you share some images? as any theme not working is certainly not the norm at all. And just to test for my own sanity as i dont use Critical Zone as my default, i just switched to it and it works just as expected on the current beta 5.

1820995725_Screenshot(55).thumb.png.6cb07daa998eabd174381a3454ff3064.png1262760803_Screenshot(56).thumb.png.3261387688110268f7a2e884cfa40cd1.png1924258302_Screenshot(57).thumb.png.341e9b0d5e37df6da77c1877b3d71c56.png

8 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

Could you share some images? as any theme not working is certainly not the norm at all. And just to test for my own sanity as i dont use Critical Zone as my default, i just switched to it and it works just as expected on the current beta 5.

1820995725_Screenshot(55).thumb.png.6cb07daa998eabd174381a3454ff3064.png1262760803_Screenshot(56).thumb.png.3261387688110268f7a2e884cfa40cd1.png1924258302_Screenshot(57).thumb.png.341e9b0d5e37df6da77c1877b3d71c56.png

Here's a screenshot with CriticalZone applied as the main theme. Once the error messages are dismissed it does basically nothing, it's indistinguishable from just leaving the default theme on. I guess that green font is coming from CriticalZone? (SNES is the only platform I added some games back for to test after my fresh install so ordinarily there would at least be all of the platforms listed.)

On the previous page I also posted a screen of an attempt to use the AllNightLong theme, where the best it can do is load one of the AllNightLong's platform images in the space the default theme uses for its platform images (box in upper middle of the screen) while changing basically no other aspects of the theme at all. Some themes like CityHunter do manage to change the text for the descriptions. 

criticalzone.PNG

Edited by Middcore

1 minute ago, Middcore said:

Once the error messages are dismissed it does basically nothing, it's indistinguishable from just leaving the default theme on.

That is the Critical Zone theme though, you can tell by the green text which the default theme doesnt have, so it is displaying one of the Critical Zone views, or using settings from it still. Can you try switching views via the menu or from a keyboard/controller button set to switch view?

5 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

That is the Critical Zone theme though, you can tell by the green text which the default theme doesnt have, so it is displaying one of the Critical Zone views, or using settings from it still. Can you try switching views via the menu or from a keyboard/controller button set to switch view?

As I said, sometimes it manages to use fonts from the chosen theme. 

Tell me what view you'd like me to use and I will switch to it and post a screenshot.

1 hour ago, neil9000 said:

Yeah. This is Bannerbox on my system, literally  downloaded a minute ago via Bigbox's built in theme downloader.

1150443273_Screenshot(58).thumb.png.122315454c4e8e8e1902eb6db3f4dc5a.png

Yep, I know what it's supposed to look like, it's pretty rad, that's why I wanted to use it. Unfortunately it doesn't work for me, like every other theme besides the default. 

Edited by Middcore

10 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

I think I will give that a shot. What I noticed as well is that I have launchbox on my PC and laptop. My PC had launchbox installed to my D folder since the first day I downloaded it over a year ago and didnt have any issues until now with the big box themes. My laptop had it installed on the c drive and I have never ran into any issues with it whatsoever. So Im wondering if its just something to do with the install folder finally causing issues. 

But back to your point I should just copy the original data folder and place it into the new one to see if I run into the same issues?

12 hours ago, KM_Zero said:

I think I will give that a shot. What I noticed as well is that I have launchbox on my PC and laptop. My PC had launchbox installed to my D folder since the first day I downloaded it over a year ago and didnt have any issues until now with the big box themes. My laptop had it installed on the c drive and I have never ran into any issues with it whatsoever. So Im wondering if its just something to do with the install folder finally causing issues. 

But back to your point I should just copy the original data folder and place it into the new one to see if I run into the same issues?

Yup, that's what would be best to try first. There shouldn't be any issues installing it to your D drive (I do the same thing), but maybe that'll give us some sort of a clue.

1 hour ago, Jason Carr said:

Yup, that's what would be best to try first. There shouldn't be any issues installing it to your D drive (I do the same thing), but maybe that'll give us some sort of a clue.

Alright so I have moved the data over to the new install location and right now I'm just setting up all my media and videos which shouldn't take too long. So far after entering BigBox I don't get any errors and the CityHunter theme that I'm using loads without any issues. I'm wondering if some random needle in the haystack file is corrupted or something. Its just weird lol

2 minutes ago, KM_Zero said:

Alright so I have moved the data over to the new install location and right now I'm just setting up all my media and videos which shouldn't take too long. So far after entering BigBox I don't get any errors and the CityHunter theme that I'm using loads without any issues. I'm wondering if some random needle in the haystack file is corrupted or something. Its just weird lol

What kind of drive is your drive D? Is it an external by chance? Is it using the exFAT file system?

3 hours ago, KM_Zero said:

My d drive is internal. Everything except the roms are on an internal drive. 

Alright, well assuming that the copy on your C drive is still working without issues, even with your data, then that should mean that the issue is somehow caused by something else from your old collection (or some kind of weird permissions or drive issue I suppose). Here are a couple of things to try:

• Try copying your media folders over one at a time to your new collection on drive C. If any one of them introduce the errors, then we'll know that somehow they are the cause, and I can look into why that might be.
  • Turn on debug logging on your old collection on drive D. Go into LaunchBox > Tools > Options > General > Debugging and check the box to enable debug logs. Then fire up Big Box and get the errors with the themes to show up. Then if you can send me the most recent log file in the LaunchBox\Logs folder, I can investigate to see if there's anything of note.
57 minutes ago, Middcore said:

In my case everything including ROMs are on my C drive, an internal SSD which is the only drive in the PC.

If you can turn on debug logging and share a log as well, that would be helpful. Thanks guys.

4 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

Alright, well assuming that the copy on your C drive is still working without issues, even with your data, then that should mean that the issue is somehow caused by something else from your old collection (or some kind of weird permissions or drive issue I suppose). Here are a couple of things to try:

• Try copying your media folders over one at a time to your new collection on drive C. If any one of them introduce the errors, then we'll know that somehow they are the cause, and I can look into why that might be.
  • Turn on debug logging on your old collection on drive D. Go into LaunchBox > Tools > Options > General > Debugging and check the box to enable debug logs. Then fire up Big Box and get the errors with the themes to show up. Then if you can send me the most recent log file in the LaunchBox\Logs folder, I can investigate to see if there's anything of note.

If you can turn on debug logging and share a log as well, that would be helpful. Thanks guys.

Alright so what I did was after moving a few things over to the c drive I would open BigBox to see if I would get the huge list of errors and I never did. I just finished setting everything up how I had it on my d drive and everything works like normal! Thankfully it took me about 45 minutes to set it all up (thank god for simple data transfers) and now all I pretty much have to do is go in and manually add a few videos and images to some games and I believe it will be up 100% just how I had it.

Like I said eariler I can only assume that some random bit of code or file is probably corrupted or messed up and its causing the issue. Im gonna check my d drive launchbox every so often and update it to see if maybe it will fix itself. Until then Im back up and running on my c drive and hopefully I wont run into any issues ??

Thanks for responding and taking time to reach out and offer help. This community is full of some of the best mods I have ever dealt with. Thanks again.

Hopefully Middcore can get up and running as well ?

• Like 1