LaunchBox Community Forums

Atari 800 and Altirra emulator: some issues

legolas119

Hi

I have configured Altirra 3.90 in order to run Atari 800 games, following this guide: https://www.dosgamers.com/atari-8-bit/atari-8-bit-emulator-altirra but I have a lot of problems, because i'm only able to run one game (Donkey Kong.rom).

During the initial set up, after scanning the "roms" folder", I have this:

Immagine7.png

and then I choosed this:

Immagine8.png

Immagine9.png

Immagine10.png

and this is my Firmware manager screen, where I set as default these 2 firmware, as suggested in the guide linked above:

Immagine11.png

Is everything correct? Do you suggest some additional settings? I only added this check as requested in the guide:

Immagine12.png

and the scanlines and my joypad config. Nothing else. 

I tried several settings, but I have always the same issues...I tried:

Immagine2.png

Immagine3.png

and the .xex and .rom files don't work. 

1) STAR RIDERS.bin or STAR RIDERS.rom starts but I can only see "copyright Atari 1979" and  "Star Riders". I can't start the game

2) Rainbow Walker.cas starts but I can see only the title screen and then this:

Immagine4.png

3) Encounter.xex: i see this:

Immagine5.png

I also tried to attach drive for Encounter.atr, Rainbow Walker and Star Riders but they don't work...I also tried to "XE/XL hardware with the Atari XL/XE OS and Atari BASIC Rev C" but I have same issues with these games.  I'm only able to play Donkey Kong.rom...nothing else 

Can anyone help me please?

thank you

Edited by legolas119

thank, I downloaded from here https://github.com/atari800/atari800/releases  the atari800-4.2.0-win32-sdl.zip.

Do I need anything else? bios, and so on...?

Runnig the .exe file, I don't have any menu...it automatically created a .cfg file...but I don't know how to set up it, hot to set graphics and so on and and hot to config the joypad...I'm not able to load any game...because there isn't the menu...

I looked fot a guide on google but I didn't find anything :( 

Can you help me please?

Edited by legolas119

@legolas119 For Altirra, I would double check your Video settings in Configure System window and turn off any "Video Effects" since in the one screen shot has scan lines. You may be getting driver conflict.  Although it wouldn't cause the crash, you don't need to turn on "Accurate sector timing" for most part. It will take a long time to load an ATR file if you have that on. 

Otherwise looking at the instructions they appear fine so you should be up and running with no changes (other than sector timing).  I would make a backup of your Altirra.ini and make a blank one. Then return to running the installer (there is a 4.0 version released now as well so would download that).  Do the defaults as noted in your screenshots  and then see if can run before making any other changes.  XEX (mostly) and binary/cart files should run instantly whereas ATR and CAS will have to load. So I would stick with testing XEX and BINs first.  Otherwise if you do you fresh install and those don't run out of the gate then may be some issue with the ROMs you have, particularly if you have one or two ROMs that work. I tried XEX for Encounter and booted fine with default Altirra install as well as Star Raiders both ATR and Cart versions (Cassettes are a different animal).  

Edited by sundogak

hi, I just discovered...that for a lot of games I need to push F2 in order to start correctly!  But this button isn'n mapped in the Input Mappings menù... do you know if it is possible to map F2 in a joypad button?

And I noticed that at the beginning a lot of games need this choice:

Immagine.png

Is it possible to configure the emulator in order to start every game automatically with the recommended setting? so I can launch the game directly with LB.

many thanks!

Edited by legolas119

22 hours ago, JoeViking245 said:

Is there a ../DOC/ folder in with your install?  In there you should see the README, INSTALL and USAGE files (as well as others).  If not, you can find them in the link that seaview59 shared.

yes I have that folder, thanks!  But now I have discovered how to run games with Altirra so I would prefer to use it with launchbox, if it is possible..

• Like 1

F2 is Start just like on an actual Atari you had to hit that to begin in many case. So should map that to your controller if using controller:

Capture.thumb.PNG.a341fc8c5270c4b915187dfdc9a653ec.PNGYes, you can install in LB.Capture2.thumb.PNG.a7008301c44125152a06b9679e1234bf.PNG

Map to profiles if using for different platforms.  If just using one such as 800 then I believe it starts up with the last profile used. 

Capture3.thumb.PNG.2767998ed742683a6fcf74b97fa00a48.PNGI generally turn off start up screens on the computer emulators so can see what is going on. 

Capture4.thumb.PNG.e401cb94c75dc1cc2bf0e60eba04db63.PNGIf want to map reset, save, load and swap discs then need to put appropriate AHK commands in since LB will not have anything by default.  You don't have to do this just makes the pause screen usable for those options.

Capture53.thumb.PNG.ec3b143838e75554592a60c75a6d5881.PNGI also mapped a running AHK script for the ESC key to exit but depends on what you are doing. Sometimes with Computer emulators you may need to use that key. For most part I am sticking with carts and a few cassettes that I used in the day.

Edited by sundogak
duplicate screen shot

5 hours ago, legolas119 said:

And I noticed that at the beginning a lot of games need this choice:

Is it possible to configure the emulator in order to start every game automatically with the recommended setting? so I can launch the game directly with LB.

many thanks!

That is because the BIN/ROM files are missing the header needed by Altirra.  You cannot force Altirra via a setting to auto load the one it assumes.   Cartridge files with proper header will typically have the *.CAR extension to differentiate from those that do not (ROM/BIN). So you can either get the prompt each time, use a different emulator that has built in DB to determine header on the fly, or use the following two tools to put the correct headers on BIN/ROM files:

http://www.wudsn.com/index.php/productions-atari800/tools/atarirommaker

http://www.wudsn.com/index.php/productions-atari800/tools/atariromchecker

Edited by sundogak
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, sundogak said:

That is because the BIN/ROM files are missing the header needed by Altirra.  You cannot force Altirra via a setting to auto load the one it assumes.   Cartridge files with proper header will typically have the *.CAR extension to differentiate from those that do not (ROM/BIN). So you can either get the prompt each time, use a different emulator that has built in DB to determine header on the fly, or use the following two tools to put the correct headers on BIN/ROM files:

http://www.wudsn.com/index.php/productions-atari800/tools/atarirommaker

http://www.wudsn.com/index.php/productions-atari800/tools/atariromchecker

perfect thanks!  At the beginning of the conversion it appear this:

Immagine.png

which is the best option I have to choose?

thank you

@legolas119 It is a two step process.  You choose whatever it says to use either in Altirra as recommended (less accurate) or in the second tool I linked (the Atari Rom Checker) which is more accurate.  Once you have that step done then you can select whichever it says to.  The second program will then add header to rom.  I personally rename the file with "CAR extension" to keep straight which I have completed.  They are not all the same so no "best". The ROM checker compares file to a set of checksums for known roms and gives you the information.  

Also be careful that anything with CAS extension is a cassette and that has nothing to do with any of this.  The headers only apply to BIN/ROMs since the were taken from cartridges in most cases.  XEX are executables and again have nothing to do with the headers for carts.  If you try to have the rom checker analyze an XEX or CAS file it will not work and definitely do not want to use the ROM header tool on any CAS or XEX files or it will mess them up so they won't run. 

Edited by sundogak

23 hours ago, sundogak said:

F2 is Start just like on an actual Atari you had to hit that to begin in many case. So should map that to your controller if using controller:

Capture.thumb.PNG.a341fc8c5270c4b915187dfdc9a653ec.PNGYes, you can install in LB.Capture2.thumb.PNG.a7008301c44125152a06b9679e1234bf.PNG

Map to profiles if using for different platforms.  If just using one such as 800 then I believe it starts up with the last profile used. 

Capture3.thumb.PNG.2767998ed742683a6fcf74b97fa00a48.PNGI generally turn off start up screens on the computer emulators so can see what is going on. 

Capture4.thumb.PNG.e401cb94c75dc1cc2bf0e60eba04db63.PNGIf want to map reset, save, load and swap discs then need to put appropriate AHK commands in since LB will not have anything by default.  You don't have to do this just makes the pause screen usable for those options.

Capture53.thumb.PNG.ec3b143838e75554592a60c75a6d5881.PNGI also mapped a running AHK script for the ESC key to exit but depends on what you are doing. Sometimes with Computer emulators you may need to use that key. For most part I am sticking with carts and a few cassettes that I used in the day.

perfect, added the emulator, thanks.  Speaking about the START mapping, I have this configu with my Logitech Rumblepad pad:

Immagine2.png

and it seems that it is not possible to map START button... it is the first time that I face this issue...I always map SELECT and START button using this joypad...

yes, i have already tried, but I can choose only these buttons in the Target field:

Immagine3.png

and if i try to add this mapping:

Immagine4.png

The F2 button of the keyboard doesn't work anymore...and the joypad too, so I have to delete the new added mapping row...   It is really strange because it should be possible to map every button

Speaking about the converted games: i checked them with the software you have linked and then I converted them following the suggestions and the information of Atariroms checker, but they don't work. So I'm looking for a supported format like .xex and i found them.

I'm only not able to find a working file of Star Raiders: I found a .xex and .atr files, but it is not possible to load them, there is a black screen....do you have a working game file?

thanks

@legolas119 If the ROMs don't work after checking them then it is problem with your setup of Altirra because it checks the checksum of the file to look up in the DB. Plus if you are not able to run XEX and ATRs then indicates an issue with your setup, not the games.  A straight reinstall with options recommended should work with all those formats with little to no modifications. 

weel, I albel now to run every game in .xex or .atr format.  I'm not able to run the .bin/.rom games converted in .cas, they don't work. This is my current configuration as suggested in some forum:

Immagine.png

Immagine2.png

do you think that I have to change anything? I'm also trying to look for games in .xex format but sometimes they aren't available...

thanks!

I wouldn’t mess with the settings directly and stick to the default profiles as much as possible. (Except for things like video enhancements, keys, etc)

I stick to the 5200, xl, and 800 profiles. (800 over the xl profile for a few games)

Using these can run xex, atr, and roms no problem.

I’m not at the computer right now to check, but I vaguely remember that I thought the Start, Option, and Select keys might be hard coded to the function keys. In that case a AHK remap in LB under running hot key can solve the problem.

Edited by Headrush69

well, currently with the settins I posted above I'm able to play all the games I have tried (about 25). Only Star Raiders doesn't work: i tried both .xex and .atr file, but it doesn't worl.  If I run .xex, there is a black screen; if I run .atr, I push F2 after the title screen, but it appears a black screen... :(

Speaking about Start, select and Option, please, when you can, can you post me your LB settings in order to set them? I'm not able to do it..

many thanks!

On 10/3/2020 at 5:33 PM, legolas119 said:

Speaking about Start, select and Option, please, when you can, can you post me your LB settings in order to set them? I'm not able to do it..

I have the following in my Running AutoHotKey tab for Altirra emulator:

5::F4
1::F3
6::F2

$Esc::
{
    Process, Close, {{{StartupEXE}}}

Basically when my Insert Coin buttons (5 and 6) and Start button (1) are used, it sends the F Keys needed for Option, Select and Start.

Here is some info on remapping joystick buttons: AHK Joystick remap

Edit: For Star Raiders I had to use the defprofile:800. It didn't work with the XL profile.

Edit 2: You can remap the Atari console buttons within Altirra so you do not need to use AHK remapping.

Edited by Headrush69