LaunchBox Community Forums

Multiple Discs

RaiderX1212

Dear community members.

Forgive me I know this has been discussed but for someone like me who is an uber noob some of the terminology you guys use can be a bit confusing and I dont want to mess it up.

This is going to be an issue for me going forward with all systems I want to import ROMS for with multiple discs. I did read in another post that I should ensure the files are named as below - example; Night Trap on Sega Genesis. I am using RetroArch as the emulator in Launcbox for Genesis at the moment but again I am sure I will have the same problem with PS1 and other systems in future. Redream for instance with Code Veronica.

Anyway, files are currently as below. I do note the combine option when uploading the files but I do not understand what will happen when I do that. Does it mean that when I play the game and are prompted to insert the second disc Launbox (and RetroArch) will know to automatically continue?

1996346365_MultipleDiscs.thumb.jpg.bd5a7c09892abb581253a842b108e6c1.jpg

1 hour ago, RaiderX1212 said:

I do note the combine option when uploading the files but I do not understand what will happen when I do that. Does it mean that when I play the game and are prompted to insert the second disc Launbox (and RetroArch) will know to automatically continue?

This just means that after importing your games the multiple discs will be under one single entry in LB and you choose which disc to load up. As for being prompted to insert the next disk Launchbox will have zero control over this, this will be on the emulator and they all handle it differently. See t he Retroarch documention example for how to handle it with Retroarch: https://docs.libretro.com/library/flycast/#multiple-disc-games It's an example using the Flycast core for Dreamcast but all the cores and systems use the exact same method.

23 hours ago, Lordmonkus said:

This just means that after importing your games the multiple discs will be under one single entry in LB and you choose which disc to load up. As for being prompted to insert the next disk Launchbox will have zero control over this, this will be on the emulator and they all handle it differently. See t he Retroarch documention example for how to handle it with Retroarch: https://docs.libretro.com/library/flycast/#multiple-disc-games It's an example using the Flycast core for Dreamcast but all the cores and systems use the exact same method.

Please forgive me, I am still a bit confused. I am a total Noob after all.

From what I understand I am supposed to create a text file as per the screenshot below and put it in the folder and then when I import the game through Launchbox I select that file instead of the game files?

This leads to the game importing but when I try to run it, a black screen is all that appears.

Please give me some more guidance? I have also set up 3DO and there are multi discs there too. I will be setting up PS1 and other systems where I presume I will have the same problem.

NighTrapFolder.thumb.jpg.4f13d5c3c47fb7225f45a50ff3f6a5e3.jpg606204547_m3uExample.jpg.8d24a20a1bd786840b9c360f57616ec4.jpg

I am still not getting this to work. Please help me! ?

I created the m3u file as in below screenshot and placed it in the game's folder. From what I read online I should then use that file when I upload ROM files to Launchbox.

However once it is uploaded and I double click on the game nothing happens. What am I doing wrong? Please! i need to do this for many games.

Savedm3u.thumb.jpg.1e658d917f0ecd899e286dc2d548c921.jpg

49642869_M3Uinfolder.thumb.jpg.0d86b9155b7f390fea7229dfda78974d.jpg

@RaiderX1212 There is no need to manually create a m3u file and import it. LaunchBox can be told to build it for you automatically. You will need to make sure the emulator you're using though supports that file extension however. Simply import the game files (either the bin or the cue) and make sure on the games imported each additional application that is created has a disc number assigned (LaunchBox should do this automatically for you if your roms are named right). Then in Manage Emulators (accessed via the Tools dropdown) ensure the checkbox to create M3u is checked. LB will then create the M3U and point your emulator to it for you when you launch the game (or any app with a disc number assigned).

I tried this out now and used the Batch file to Auto-Generate .m3us 1.0.0 found in the download section. As I have already imported my games, f.ex. in this case PSX games, I have to do it manually, didn't do it while importing. 

It works fine, put multi disc games into a folder called the same as the game, run the batch file and it creates a m3u file inside that folder, in my exapmle Xenogears.m3u. Edit game entry, Launching ROM file to Games\Sony Playstation\Xenogears\Xenogears.m3u, and save. Tried it out and it works fine. 

Just for information, I changed my batch file to .pbp files, as all my PSX games are in .pbp format, and not cue/bin. 

for /R "%~dp0" %%I in (*.pbp) do for %%J in ("%%~dpI.") do echo %%~nxI>>"%%~dpI%%~nxJ.m3u"

On 11/2/2020 at 4:31 PM, C-Beats said:

@RaiderX1212 There is no need to manually create a m3u file and import it. LaunchBox can be told to build it for you automatically. You will need to make sure the emulator you're using though supports that file extension however. Simply import the game files (either the bin or the cue) and make sure on the games imported each additional application that is created has a disc number assigned (LaunchBox should do this automatically for you if your roms are named right). Then in Manage Emulators (accessed via the Tools dropdown) ensure the checkbox to create M3u is checked. LB will then create the M3U and point your emulator to it for you when you launch the game (or any app with a disc number assigned).

How do I know which emulators support this? I am trying to run games as much as possible through RetroArch.

I am also worried that I play through a whole 1st disc only to find the second disc cannot be loaded. For instance I tried to import Night Trap for the 3DO. It did not work unless I only imported disc 1. Then the game starts up fine but since I only imported disc 1 I presume disc 2 would not load.

In the case of 3DO I am using the Opera core.

As for the naming, is the example in my previous screenshot for Night Trap correctly names for Launchbox?

(Disc 1 of 2)

Are there any games that you can get through Disc 1 quickly so i can test this? I heard that it is possible to get through disc 1 of Myst quickly but all the versions of Myst I find are only 1 disc.

2 hours ago, RaiderX1212 said:

How do I know which emulators support this? I am trying to run games as much as possible through RetroArch.

You would need to check the documentation for the emulators you use, and in this case the individual Retroarch cores documentation.

For instance I tried to import Night Trap for the 3DO. It did not work unless I only imported disc 1

Then you are doing something incorrectly, or they did import just fine and are in the right click menu as they should be, Launchbox imports what you tell it to, it doesnt randomly choose what to, and what not to import. If you added disc 1 and disc 2 they will both be imported if named correctly as to be identified as different discs for the same game.

As for the naming, is the example in my previous screenshot for Night Trap correctly names for Launchbox?

(Disc 1 of 2)

No, thats not correct naming, you just want (Disk 1) (Disc 2) etc.

image.thumb.png.f3867d8abed4e7569da3f0a33df583dc.png