LaunchBox Community Forums

Display game specific controls image on a separate monitor during gameplay (plugin - beta release)

What:  By default, this shows the game specific controls image (if one exist) on a 3rd** monitor when you launch and are playing a game.  This works in both LaunchBox and BigBox.

The image it looks for is the one you set for the specific game as “Arcade - Controls Information”. mk.thumb.png.6150d0dfec0f25f00bf749a48561cc61.png

(As opposed to “Arcade - Control Panel “, “Box – Front”, “Screenshot - Game Title” etc.)  Any game for any Platform can have an associated “Arcade - Controls Information” image.

If the specific game doesn’t have an “Arcade - Controls Information” image associated with it, the plugin will then search for the Platforms “Device” image file located in:

..\LaunchBox\Images\Platform\your_games_platform\Device\

493140480_SegaGenesis6-buttonController(Phone).png.0b4000a87f63e9ead3c8bc66305984cb.png

If neither of those are found, nothing will be shown.

**You can change which monitor the image is displayed on by renaming “3.mon” (included in the download) to the number of the monitor you want the image to appear on.  i.e. “4.mon”, “2.mon” or even “1.mon”.   (I thing you might be able to rename this to test on a different display without having to exit/restart LaunchBox.)

Why:   This was created as a just-because, proof-of-concept type of thing.  The problem I have is that I don’t have 3 monitors to test this on. Though I can attest that it does work with 2 monitors.  (Rename “3.mon” to “2.mon”)  I don’t really plan to add a 3rd monitor to my personal setup and like many of the other plugins I created, I probably won’t use it. Lol  But, like all of the other plugins, it was a lot of fun creating.  And it seems to work.  But still debating how practical it actually is. ;)  

Help wanted:   That said, if someone, anyone (or even many) could try this and provide some feedback, it would be greatly appreciated.  Mainly looking to find out if it does actually display correctly on a 3rd (4th? [that’d be cool]) monitor.  But any and all feedback is appreciated.

How:   Oh ya…  installing…

• Download the zip file   DisplayControls 0.0.1.0.zip
  • Unblock it
  • Extract the contents to your   ../LaunchBox/Plugins/   folder
    • Rename “3.mon” as necessary.
  • Start LaunchBox and play a game.

• Like 3
  • Unusual Gem 1

• 8 months later...
56 minutes ago, Vojake said:

Do you know, how to work with LB Version 112.7? Plugin never works.

Just tested with LaunchBox version 12.7 and is working here.

Did you follow all 4 install steps at the bottom of the post?

Does the game you're testing with have an image for it in “Arcade - Controls Information” or a Device Image for the Platform it's in?

If using just 2 monitors, did you rename "3.mon" to "2.mon"?

12 minutes ago, Vojake said:

You have to extract the files in the zip-archive to the folder \DeviceControls under the plugins-folder

Apologies.  I thought inside the zip was the DeviceControls folder which had all of the files in it, so you'd just extract/copy that folder into Plugins, and the files would come with it.

Glad it's working now!!

is it possible, to specifiy other image-folders, where to seek images to display? So we can use the plugin to bring other content except controls-images to a third monitor. Best way could be, when user can choose one gamefolder and one platformfolder. Is this possible? perhaps with a ini.file?

7 minutes ago, Vojake said:

is it possible, to specifiy other image-folders, where to seek images to display? So we can use the plugin to bring other content except controls-images to a third monitor

Most likely, yes.  It would have to be an image category that the specific game being loaded has.  Such as “Box – Front”, “Screenshot - Game Title” etc.  Specifically, what image type are you thinking you'd like to show on your 3rd monitor?  To me, the Controls image made sense because you'd already have the game playing on 1 and the games marquee on 2.

1 hour ago, Vojake said:

gameplay-image or video would be beautiful. I think about displaying platform images while playing a game

A screenshot game play image is probably doable.  A video will probably create too many new problems, so most likely not gonna happen.  If you don't have any images in your "Arcade - Controls Information" folder for that game, it will already show the Platform Device image.  Which type Platform image (if other than Device) would you like to have?

image.png.a3dfebd08ab710f5dc010cb0ad2cd9dd.png

Banner actually is best alternativ choice, I think. there I have most images.  But it would be best if I  can set the folder from which the images are to be displayed in a manually step. Is a setting in a ini-file possible? so I can change it if it is usefull

1 hour ago, Vojake said:

Banner actually is best alternativ choice, I think. there I have most images.  But it would be best if I  can set the folder from which the images are to be displayed in a manually step. Is a setting in a ini-file possible? so I can change it if it is usefull

Using an ini file is possible but I'd be more inclined to use an xml file.  Though and ini is not out of the question.  But I need to think of a good way to set it so the end user can easily change the image-type they want without me having to create a GUI for selecting one.  

If I get a chance (and have motivation), I'll dig up my code for it this weekend, refresh myself on how I actually got this work and see if I can conjure something up to give image options.

Considering the popularity of this plugin (though is still considered beta), if you'd be happy with the Platform Banner being the default image, I could easily make one custom for you.  Working out the best way to make it changeable (and have it function) in a user-friendly sort-of-way will take more time.

A custom for platformbanner would be great and I would be really grateful.

A version with changeable will certainly be in demand soon, since the solutions for 3 monitors are rare and complicated an more and more user have a cabinet with more than 2 Monitors. Do you know a other solution for 3 monitors?

Edited by Vojake
  • Like 1

@Vojake  Try this.

1. Download and Unblock this zip file.       DisplayControls - Banner-Device.zip
  2. Replace the "DisplayControls.dll" file in your../Plugins/DisplayControls/ folder with the one that's in the attached zip file.
  3. Start LaunchBox/BigBox

This should display the Platform Banner image. If one doesn't exist, it should then display the Platform Device image.

The largest number of images does not fit in the monitor (1920x1080) . Is it possible to autofit maximal for fullscreen? Currently you can only see a picture with cut edges. If the Image would be shown smaller, this would be ok, too. But too big, that looks terrible.

29 minutes ago, Vojake said:

The largest number of images does not fit in the monitor (1920x1080) . Is it possible to autofit maximal for fullscreen? Currently you can only see a picture with cut edges. If the Image would be shown smaller, this would be ok, too. But too big, that looks terrible.

Can you share a screenshot of what you're seeing?  Are your Banners made for 16:9?  I'll have to look how I even put the images on there, but I don't think stretching or squishing is really an option.  

@Vojake I can't help with how your images look, but I can help you with selecting which image to display.

Instructions:

1. DELETE YOUR EXISTING DeviceControls FOLDER!
  2. Download, unblock and copy the contents of the zip file (which consists of a folder AND a file in that folder) to your Plugins folder.
  3. Start LaunchBox.
  4. Select ToolsDisplayOnMonitorX.

ToolsMenu.thumb.png.9d34323bb63f333835cfb43ef77cd703.png

Select which monitor # you want an image to display on.

Drag and drop the Game Image or Platform Image you want to see into Primary Image.

Drag and drop the Game Image or Platform Image you want to use if the Primary Image doesn't exist into Secondary Image.

Click Save.

Play games.

DisplayOnMonitorX v1.0.zip

• Like 1