LaunchBox Community Forums

Pulse

View File

Pulse is dark, responsive BigBox theme. No need for custom images. 125 device images and 135 cropped clear logos included. Views use: Clear logos, Videos, Fan art, Box Art, 3D Box Art and device images.

Made with: Community Theme Creator for BigBox 1.0.8.99 by y2guru

Views included (Version 1.1):

• System
  • HorizontalWheel1
  • HorizontalWheel2
  • HorizontalWheel3
  • PlatformWheel1
  • PlatformWheel2
  • PlatformWheel3
  • PlatformWheel4
  • TextFiltersView
  • TextGamesView

Views (Version 2.0)

• GameDetailsView
  • HorizontalWheel1GamesView
  • HorizontalWheel2GamesView
  • HorizontalWheel3GamesView
  • PlatformWheel2FiltersView (Viking's Colorful platform videos are recommended)
  • PlatformWheel3FiltersView
  • SystemView
  • TextFiltersView
  • TextGamesView
  • TextListView
  • WallGamesView
  • Wall2GamesView (If you want this to look good please remove all the title screenshots from games)

Fonts included: 

• BarlowSemiCondensed-ExtraBold
  • BarlowSemiCondensed-Medium
  • BarlowSemiCondensed-Regular

Barlow Semi Condensed - Google Fonts

Remember to refresh wheel images from BigBox options AND INSTALL THE FONTS! :)

Special Thanks to @Dan Patrick  and @bundangdon who helped me a lot with useful feedback. Dan also provided some icons and clear logos. There were others who gave me feedback, so thank you all for your help.

Screenshots and video preview uses videos and images made by others, including platform videos by @viking

Not taking any requests for missing assets.

Video Preview

Version 2.0

Version 1.1

• Like 3
  • Unusual Gem 1

• 7 months later...

The theme is fantastic, my favorite one, really clean and futuristic.

I just deleted a visual effect (the bloom blue effect) from the file, because my graphic card is low (gtx 650) so the effect it self was consuming like 20% and stuttering the games, disabling the effect saved me some graphic process and could run smooth again the games.

Ps: is there a way to change the game list text to the left instead right? See the text list on the right and images on the left is really weird for me.

On 1/5/2022 at 1:13 AM, polaco said:

The theme is fantastic, my favorite one, really clean and futuristic.

I just deleted a visual effect (the bloom blue effect) from the file, because my graphic card is low (gtx 650) so the effect it self was consuming like 20% and stuttering the games, disabling the effect saved me some graphic process and could run smooth again the games.

Ps: is there a way to change the game list text to the left instead right? See the text list on the right and images on the left is really weird for me.

The animations should not use GPU... I think. CPU power matters the most. The lowest I have tested with is i5 4570 (integrated GPU) which works quite well on lower resolutions < full hd. Glad you got it running better though. Unfortunately you would have to edit the theme in CTC I think.  It would be great, if there was an option to change the alignment for the menus.

• Thanks 1

The cpu I really didn't check, it is a i3 10100 so it is good enough to run dolphin and bigbox, but I checked the gpu usage on the MSI afterburner, so it really had an impact on the gpu. But not important, as my gpu is low end at all. The theme is really great, I would not change the effects, just a tip if someone has a low end graphics card too as a gtx 650.

About the align then I should study more how to change it. Thank you for the reply and hard work on the theme.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, polaco said:

I did it, I changed the theme on CTC, now it is perfect for me, text on the left, cover front, cover back and screen shot. Thank you again for the theme, I am really glad.

tom.thumb.png.e09ce2212841777e474699a1c1a2a03b.png

Nice job! You should remove the shadow from the left also. Working on my next theme that has the menu aligned to the left in all of the views.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
19 hours ago, mtib said:

Great work, thanks. Is it possible to increase the platform´s font size on the Details List View? Or even better, replace with the platform´s clear logo? If so, how?

Inked20220311_113028_LI.jpg

Short answer is to download the CTC files for Pulse and CTC tool. Faeran has made tutorials how to use it to modify themes.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Hi All!
I started using pulse effectively today.
Really a great theme. Congratulations to author
@Juketsu ,I just think theme deviates a little from the standards in the way of using images. This left me a bit confused and it took me a few hours to find myself.
I still have a performance issue which I will bring up separately at some point. For now, could you help me with the questions below?

• Pulse does not use images from Banner or Fanart folders to platforms. That's right?
  • Horizontal Wheel Views (1,2,3) do not consider Front Box image for the background as a second alternative. Was that intentional?
  • Pulse uses devices images as background, instead of the Fanart folder. We have to use the ones that serve all the places where they appear. Do you intend to change that?
  • Horizontal Wheel 1 and 2 are the same, except that on the second, there is a video transition from the center to the left and both use a box front wheel. One of your posted images , uses clear logos instead. How did you do it?
  • It seems Wheel Platform 3, banners have lower image quality. Compared to the other views, they look a little blurry to me. Maybe it needs tweaking the code to render better. Could you guide me how to improve?
  • I have a Platform called "Arcade All" which gathers all arcade games and was scraped as arcade. Pulse is using this platform's logo for all Playlist Arcade. It seems to be a problem specific to this theme. The curious thing, there are views where the logos appear correctly. See below, NeoGeo MVS playlist test. Do you intend to fix this?

Wrong_ClearLogo.thumb.png.f6448ca28e85740bb07b42be38809e49.png

Thanks in advance!

Edited by soqueroeu

8 hours ago, Juketsu said:

@soqueroeu in short, if you want to change the theme you will need to download the Community Theme Creator and CTC-files for Pulse and do the changes/fixes yourself. You could also try my new theme to see if it works better for you. It's like Pulse, only faster and better.

Well I appreciate you. But I expected your longer answer.  😀

Just wanted to make sure the points I mentioned, because I really got lost with Pulse for the first few hours.
I love Pulse and want to keep using it anyway. I have no intention of changing the theme. Honestly, Sleepstream is less beautiful in small details. However, I need some help from the community and from you, to understand what might be causing performance problems in arcade playlists.

This does not happen with older themes. But I noticed that some of the new themes have the same problem. Pulse and also Sleepstream suffer from the same ailment. I just can't quickly browse arcade game playlists. I take about 3 switching between games. 😲

My games are installed on the same SSD as the BigBox. Everything works fine for other platforms and I browse through their lists without any slowdowns or stutters.

Could you please help me with this?

9 hours ago, soqueroeu said:

Well I appreciate you. But I expected your longer answer.  😀

Just wanted to make sure the points I mentioned, because I really got lost with Pulse for the first few hours.
I love Pulse and want to keep using it anyway. I have no intention of changing the theme. Honestly, Sleepstream is less beautiful in small details. However, I need some help from the community and from you, to understand what might be causing performance problems in arcade playlists.

This does not happen with older themes. But I noticed that some of the new themes have the same problem. Pulse and also Sleepstream suffer from the same ailment. I just can't quickly browse arcade game playlists. I take about 3 switching between games. 😲

My games are installed on the same SSD as the BigBox. Everything works fine for other platforms and I browse through their lists without any slowdowns or stutters.

Could you please help me with this?

"Honestly, Sleepstream is less beautiful" ...ouch. I cant help you with technical issues. I'm only a designer who used CTC software to make a theme. BUT, what you describe could be a bug in CTC or Launchbox, who knows. I know this, that Pulse uses a lot more animations and that is why it performs worse than Slipstream. You should try to tweak the theme with CTC yourself.

13 hours ago, Juketsu said:

"Honestly, Sleepstream is less beautiful" ...ouch. I cant help you with technical issues. I'm only a designer who used CTC software to make a theme. BUT, what you describe could be a bug in CTC or Launchbox, who knows. I know this, that Pulse uses a lot more animations and that is why it performs worse than Slipstream. You should try to tweak the theme with CTC yourself.

OK. Thank you for your time. As my problem is not unique to a single theme, I will take the matter to the forum in general, because I fear I will have the same problem in future themes.

• 11 months later...
  • 4 months later...