LaunchBox Community Forums

How to mass update file extensions?

SkyHighGam3r

Currently, all 923 of my PS2 games are in .cso format.
I'm going through the process of converting them CSO-to-ISO-to-CHD, since .chd is now supported in emulation.

The problem I'm running into with launchbox, is that I don't want to re-add all the games and have to re-configure the art and things like that.
I just wanna somehow tell launchbox, all .cso is now .chd.

Is there a way to do this?

24 minutes ago, SkyHighGam3r said:

Currently, all 923 of my PS2 games are in .cso format.
I'm going through the process of converting them CSO-to-ISO-to-CHD, since .chd is now supported in emulation.

The problem I'm running into with launchbox, is that I don't want to re-add all the games and have to re-configure the art and things like that.
I just wanna somehow tell launchbox, all .cso is now .chd.

Is there a way to do this?

When you delete a platform you dont delete the art. So if you have the same games but with a different extension just delete the platform and re-import it, allow metadata to be downloaded in the wizard, but uncheck all the media downloads, all your old art will re-attach.

28 minutes ago, DeadVoivod said:

I know some people don’t wanna do this, but open your xml file which includes the LB launch paths, then find all the .cso file extensions and change them to .chd

Agree, this is the simplest way to do it unless you want to import all the games again.

Suggest you also backup the xml just in case you have any issues.

I would recommend simply deleting the platform inside LB and then importing again and unchecking all media. Seen too many times someone mess with a xaml file only to corrupt it. Sure backing it up saves the file, but you then have to take extra steps to correct an error when a simple reimport reduces the risk of errors.