LaunchBox Community Forums

Bunch of Errors

I have used this theme in the past and never had this issue until recently; I'm setting up LaunchBox on a new system with a clean install of Win10 and once I switch to this theme all this pops up. See pictures.

I've reinstalled LaunchBox and redownloaded this theme several times; I see no mention of other software requirements. I've moved the entire LaunchBox install to different drives (HDD and SSD) = Same issue each time. Honestly, it's gotten to be frustrating. Any help would be appreciated.

PS: I've installed the two font files. I tried reading the messages to ascertain a solution but I can't make heads or tails of the errors.

Theme Error (1).png

Theme Error (2).png

Theme Error (3).png

Theme Error (4).png

Theme Error (5).png

Theme Error (6).png

Theme Error (7).png

Theme Error (8).png

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've literally removed every last trace of LB from my system and reinstalled it only to get the same issue. I'm going to just stick with the defaults for everything... Lost my patience with this already. Thanks everyone for the help.

Update: Error is still present on v11.14; I've decided to stick with the defaults.

Update 2: This extends to Bigbox as well... I've tried both manually installing themes (doesn't matter which) and using the built-in system to download and install themes. Big box is worse because the errors will continue to pop up after they are closed.

Edited by SPARTAN-117B01

It is installed on my 2nd Internal SSD (4TB); Not sure if the size of the drive matters. I've also tried to install it on my 3rd Internal HDD (6TB) and on an External HDD (28TB); I have not tried one of my NVME 2TB Drives but I'm assuming it wouldn't matter. I've also tried other themes both LaunchBox and BigBox = same error... In fact, it even happens with the other built in LaunchBox Theme "Old Default" and BigBox Theme "CriticalZoneV2 - Default". I have not tried v11.15 of LaunchBox but the last 3 revisions had the same error so (I'm again) going to assume it will still happen.

I'm also running WIN10 21H2 - OS Build 19044.1151

Edited by SPARTAN-117B01

@SPARTAN-117B01 i'm still having it with 11.15 we are definitely on the same ride. i wanted to rule that out and you just cement it. Definitely has to do with it not being on the C drive. Some people running it on usb drives and external but all i seen were all using the default themes on both so probably didn't encounter that problem wish one of the devs could hop on this.

Most of these errors are caused because the symlink creation process that occurs on start up fails. The most common reason is the drive LaunchBox is on is not NFTS but there are other causes. You should be able to turn on debug logging and then try to start up into the theme to get the error, then just close LaunchBox (or Big Box) and look in the log to see whether that process failed or not, and any information as to why it failed. Another easy way to tell if this process happened correctly is to open LaunchBox, then go to the \\LaunchBox\Core\ folder and look for a LBThemes or Themes folder. If there is an actual folder there (and not a shortcut) then the symlink process is failing on your machine.

As I stated it isn't the only cause, but is nice that you can confirm it isn't the cause this time around.

Some other things you can check are:
Ensure the folders in your Core folder are NOT read only for any reason
Ensure you don't have any sync software that could be locking the folder

Can also be helpful that you delete the following folders from the Core directory while LaunchBox and Big Box are closed then attempt to open LaunchBox after to see if the symlinks are then created appropriately:
\\LaunchBox\Core\Data
\\LaunchBox\Core\Images
\\LaunchBox\Core\LBThemes
\\LaunchBox\Core\Manuals
\\LaunchBox\Core\Music
\\LaunchBox\Core\PauseThemes
\\LaunchBox\Core\Plugins
\\LaunchBox\Core\StartupThemes
\\LaunchBox\Core\Themes
\\LaunchBox\Core\ThirdParty
\\LaunchBox\Core\Videos

Okay, now I have a problem with broken symlinks (Shortcuts); I went in and checked the folders and they all were marked as "Read Only", I deleted them and relaunched LaunchBox and no they are shortcuts and are read only. If I close down launchbox the symlink folders disappear but return when the program launches.

1 minute ago, SPARTAN-117B01 said:

Okay, now I have a problem with broken symlinks (Shortcuts); I went in and checked the folders and they all were marked as "Read Only", I deleted them and relaunched LaunchBox and no they are shortcuts and are read only. If I close down launchbox the symlink folders disappear but return when the program launches.

Yeah, that is intentional. Those links or shortcuts are created on start up and then cleaned up on close. Now that you are seeing that can you try to apply a theme and tell me if you continue to see the errors you were having?

The errors are still present and the symlinks are still present as well; along with read only.