LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox on Nvidia Shield - Can't Launch/Read Only Error

Kuro Houou

Hi there I own a handmade ZPG Handheld which is made of a Sony Xperia Z1 Compact. its on android 5.1.1 the latest version i could get. 

I like to use launchbox too but have the same problem like the guy with the pictures above. It says it has a calibration error and next errors are cant create LaunchBox folder and also Logs folder. the beta 1-4 didnt work for me. Any clue what I can do about that`?

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Leiard
added pictures

thanks for your work on it.

Its really strange some people with the same device have no problem to install it. only difference between our devices is some have a locked bootloader and can unlock it and some cant im one with a locked bootloader

is there maybe a way to give it more permissions to my sd card?

On 8/31/2021 at 10:16 AM, Leiard said:

thanks for your work on it.

Its really strange some people with the same device have no problem to install it. only difference between our devices is some have a locked bootloader and can unlock it and some cant im one with a locked bootloader

is there maybe a way to give it more permissions to my sd card?

On 9/4/2021 at 7:15 AM, Leiard said:

I found out that when i pull out the sd card launchbox works strange really strange

Most likely Android is somehow refusing write permissions to the root of the SD card on the device, but the Android APIs are claiming that the app does have write permissions. Anyways, I still have this on my list to look into and dive in deeper.

I am having a problem saving to my SD card as well. I copy the launchbox folder from internal storage to the root of the SD card as suggested but it doesn't work. When I reopen launchbox and select the copied folder to change the launchbox directory I get the error android is not granting read and write permission to this folder. When I check the folder in fx explorer I can see write access enabled. I am on a pocophone f1 on Android 10 with launchbox v0.41 and my phone is not rooted. 

Thanks

Edited by yankz23

On 9/9/2021 at 9:49 AM, yankz23 said:

I am having a problem saving to my SD card as well. I copy the launchbox folder from internal storage to the root of the SD card as suggested but it doesn't work. When I reopen launchbox and select the copied folder to change the launchbox directory I get the error android is not granting read and write permission to this folder. When I check the folder in fx explorer I can see write access enabled. I am on a pocophone f1 on Android 10 with launchbox v0.41 and my phone is not rooted. 

Thanks

This is a different issue than anything else in this thread, so it would probably be best to troubleshoot it in a new thread. We have found a few devices that are overly restricted and for whatever reason don't allow apps that are using the old storage model to write to the root of external storage. Unfortunately we don't have a solution to this currently. If we upgraded to the new storage model, it would break a number of things that are required in order to share files between the frontend and emulators, so there may not be a good solution here. One option you do have would be to put your games on your SD card, but keep your LaunchBox folder and media in your internal storage.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/10/2021 at 1:45 PM, Jason Carr said:

This is a different issue than anything else in this thread, so it would probably be best to troubleshoot it in a new thread. We have found a few devices that are overly restricted and for whatever reason don't allow apps that are using the old storage model to write to the root of external storage. Unfortunately we don't have a solution to this currently. If we upgraded to the new storage model, it would break a number of things that are required in order to share files between the frontend and emulators, so there may not be a good solution here. One option you do have would be to put your games on your SD card, but keep your LaunchBox folder and media in your internal storage.

OK thanks. I was trying to avoid using any internal space  for any launchbox stuff but I guess I have no choice. I already keep my roms on my sd card so nothing will change there. Thanks for the reply