LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox on Nvidia Shield - Can't Launch/Read Only Error

Kuro Houou

I just bought an Android license and went to install LaunchBox on my Nvidia Shield however I ran into an issue right away... The install works from the .apk, but as soon as I go to load it I get an error saying the file system is read only.  I looked in the app permissions thinking maybe it didn't have access to the storage but it shows it does.  Basically it throws these errors and says it can't initialize itself and basically stops there.  Has anyone else gotten this to work on their Shield?  I am using the newer "tube" streaming stick model btw.

@Kuro Houou Thanks for the report. What specific model of the Shield do you have?

It's working great for me on my Nvidia Shield TV Gaming Edition from 2019, but we do have reports from people saying that for whatever reason their Shields don't allow writing to the root folder in the file system, which basically screws us from being able to do anything with it. I currently don't understand why that's the case. Do you have any external USB drives attached?

I have the same problem. Is a 2015 500GB Nvidia Shield TV, and give me the exact same error even after giving Launchbox the write permissions.

AFAIK, 2015 and 2019 Shields have the same hardware, so it can be some software or app that it's giving the problem.

Also, I don't have any USB drive attached. But I have a network shared point mounted.

I dont know if this is related, but i thought i would point it out anyway. The 2019 "Tube" model of the Shield TV is a somewhat cutdown model, it only has 2GB of Ram, compared to 3GB on the other models, and it is also only running a 32Bit version of the OS as well compared to the "Pro" models that run a 64Bit OS. Again im not sure if it is relevant to this specific issue, but just wanted to point out that not all the Shields are the same hardware, also the "Tube" version has no USB port, only a Micro SD card slot.

22 minutes ago, Madcore said:

I have the same problem. Is a 2015 500GB Nvidia Shield TV, and give me the exact same error even after giving Launchbox the write permissions.

AFAIK, 2015 and 2019 Shields have the same hardware, so it can be some software or app that it's giving the problem.

Also, I don't have any USB drive attached. But I have a network shared point mounted.

Thanks for the info. If you use a file manager app, can you write to the root folder (create a folder in the root of the internal storage)?

Most likely that is the issue, but I don't really know how to solve it if the Shield just isn't allowing write access to the internal storage. I don't understand why some Shield devices are allowing it, while others aren't.

Any chance you can screenshot me a list of files and folders in the root of your internal storage (from a file manager app)? I use FX as my file manager on my Shield.

9 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

I dont know if this is related, but i thought i would point it out anyway. The 2019 "Tube" model of the Shield TV is a somewhat cutdown model, it only has 2GB of Ram, compared to 3GB on the other models, and it is also only running a 32Bit version of the OS as well compared to the "Pro" models that run a 64Bit OS. Again im not sure if it is relevant to this specific issue, but just wanted to point out that not all the Shields are the same hardware, also the "Tube" version has no USB port, only a Micro SD card slot.

Good to know. @Madcore I assume yours is not a tube version?

Either way, I don't think that all users with this issue are running the tube version of the devices.

6 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Good to know. @Madcore I assume yours is not a tube version?

Either way, I don't think that all users with this issue are running the tube version of the devices.

No. Mine is the 2015 Pro model with 500gb of internal space.

I can create folders on the root. Done that with FX.

FX_20210826_173559.png

FX_20210826_173614.png

1 hour ago, Jason Carr said:

@Madcore Okay, that is good news. I should be able to fix it then, just have to figure out exactly what's happening. I'll be diving in later today. Can you look in your device settings for the exact model number of the device and the Android version?

Model is P2571 Version 9, and is running Android TV 8.2.3 (32.6.518.0). Hope this info can be usefull.

@Madcore @Kuro Houou @SupaGrova @TheMadMan007 @dmaker @dia

I have a new version ready for folks that haven't been able to get it running on their Shield devices. This won't likely solve the issues, but it will get us more information to help us pinpoint what's going on.

If you can manually download this new APK on your device and install it, and then let me know what the full error messages are, then hopefully we can better figure out what's going on. Here's the APK:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/71xneb6obbn5bjk/LaunchBox-Android-0.36-beta-1.apk?dl=0

Thanks much; I'm hoping we can resolve this issue today.

• Thanks 2

My Model is P3430 (Tube Version) running Android 8.2.3 (32.6.518.0).  I have the updated "Pro" model too, but haven't tried that yet.

I also verified I could also create files on root with the FX file explorer.

Here are the screenshots and shots of the errors attached as well that might help...  I will try your new version as soon as I can.

2021-08-26_15-00-16_IMG_3948.thumb.jpg.6d984b56ea7293f7e9a01128da8980d7.jpg2021-08-26_14-59-36_IMG_3947.thumb.jpg.f134b20b78c643df5c03504a0f7ea66e.jpg2021-08-26_15-00-42_IMG_3950.thumb.jpg.c7a3ae385a756be75a0cf9fcf60cdc15.jpg2021-08-26_15-00-37_IMG_3949.thumb.jpg.7a639f58193048db9799c63d9230c548.jpg

• Like 1

Installed the 0.36-beta-1 apk. When I first run it, ask for permissions. Push OK to grant them, and application exits without any warning.

After that, I run again Launchbox, and give me these errors:

LaunchBox_20210826_200911.png

LaunchBox_20210826_200926.png

First warning is an unexpected error when it check the needed permissions. The second warning is an unexpected error when initializing folders.

Edited by Madcore
Translate the spanish text on warnings.
  • Like 1

@Madcore Thank you very much. That gets me closer, but I have a new version now that should help us get even closer to the solution. My apologies for the back and forth. Unfortunately this issue may take a bit more back and forth to get resolved, but if you can test this new version, I would very much appreciate it:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dooks8rg45snixm/LaunchBox-Android-0.36-beta-2.apk?dl=0

Basically, again, I just need to know what the error messages that come up are. Thanks again. :)