LaunchBox Community Forums

Import MAME non-FULL set?

vaderag

I'm trying to start afresh with my LB setup as things got a bit messy...

I have a curated folder of MAME roms I want to import into Launchbox. This contains mostly parent roms with a few clones, all as separate zips

If I go through the MAME Import, and select "import clones as separate entities (recommended)", it scans my folder and i get a HUGE list of tons of stuff that does not exist in my folder... (presumably a list of everything there is available)

How do I make it so it only pulls what is in the folder I give it?

4 minutes ago, vaderag said:

I'm trying to start afresh with my LB setup as things got a bit messy...

I have a curated folder of MAME roms I want to import into Launchbox. This contains mostly parent roms with a few clones, all as separate zips

If I go through the MAME Import, and select "import clones as separate entities (recommended)", it scans my folder and i get a HUGE list of tons of stuff that does not exist in my folder... (presumably a list of everything there is available)

How do I make it so it only pulls what is in the folder I give it?

Don't use the fullset importer, thats, as the name implies, is only for fullsets. Just import them as normal roms, making sure on the last page of the wizard to check the box to use MAME metadata, that will then give you the MAME filters screen as well if you want to make playlists.

Okay, so I did this and I've ended up in a weird situation.

In my old Launchbox setup I have 2932 individual games, of which 3 are roms i manually created, so 2929

This matches the filecount in my exported trimmed set

When I imported via the Rom import listed above in my new Launchbox instance, I only have 2804. Since I can't open two copies of LB I don't know how to find out the disparity, but why would this occur. I've double checked and the zip files in the new LB instance is 2929, so it seems to be skipping some zips?

I told it to import clones separated (and there aren't many anyway, that's part of the point) so what might cause this? 

2 hours ago, vaderag said:

Okay, so I did this and I've ended up in a weird situation.

In my old Launchbox setup I have 2932 individual games, of which 3 are roms i manually created, so 2929

This matches the filecount in my exported trimmed set

When I imported via the Rom import listed above in my new Launchbox instance, I only have 2804. Since I can't open two copies of LB I don't know how to find out the disparity, but why would this occur. I've double checked and the zip files in the new LB instance is 2929, so it seems to be skipping some zips?

I told it to import clones separated (and there aren't many anyway, that's part of the point) so what might cause this? 

Okay, so I've managed to find an example of something that hasn't imported

I have tmnt.zip, tmnt2.zip, tmnt2po.zip, tmnt22pu.zip - two different games, two two player versions of those games.

Despite having checked import all clones, it hasn't imported them, neither as separate games OR as additional apps within those games... no idea why...

Guessing this is the case with a few others that I have hence the drop in number.

Any thoughts?

5 minutes ago, vaderag said:

Okay, so I've managed to find an example of something that hasn't imported

I have tmnt.zip, tmnt2.zip, tmnt2po.zip, tmnt22pu.zip - two different games, two two player versions of those games.

Despite having checked import all clones, it hasn't imported them, neither as separate games OR as additional apps within those games... no idea why...

Guessing this is the case with a few others that I have hence the drop in number.

Any thoughts?

Those are not two separate games. It is the same game just a different rom version of the game. So in situations like this you need to check to box for "Force Import Duplicate".

10 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

Those are not two separate games. It is the same game just a different rom version of the game. So in situations like this you need to check to box for "Force Import Duplicate".

Yeah, I said that (two games, two versions of each). But in my previous setup it imported them as clones (additional apps is how it is listed in the UI), they're not there despite telling it to import everything

Are you saying that on individual ROM import the behaviour is different to full set import and it will simply ignore them if I don't add them as a separate entity?

And if so, is the only way to rectify this to delete and restart? Because if I select all files and try this it will duplicate everything or import nothing depending on options...

Edited by vaderag

1 hour ago, vaderag said:

Yeah, I said that (two games, two versions of each). But in my previous setup it imported them as clones (additional apps is how it is listed in the UI), they're not there despite telling it to import everything

Are you saying that on individual ROM import the behaviour is different to full set import and it will simply ignore them if I don't add them as a separate entity?

And if so, is the only way to rectify this to delete and restart? Because if I select all files and try this it will duplicate everything or import nothing depending on options...

Yes, the full importer and individual rom import can differ. The Full importer does its job reading the Mame.xaml generated by Mame so it has the data it needs to know what each rom is. With the rom file option you need to provide some information so LB knows what to do as it was not perfect. I believe that was one of the reason's users had been asking for a full Mame importer to better use Mame's parsing of data.

4 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

Yes, the full importer and individual rom import can differ. The Full importer does its job reading the Mame.xaml generated by Mame so it has the data it needs to know what each rom is. With the rom file option you need to provide some information so LB knows what to do. I believe that was one of the reason's users had been asking for a full Mame importer to better use Mame's parsing of data.

I've been selecting to use mame data in the import options tho as well

19 minutes ago, vaderag said:

I've been selecting to use mame data in the import options tho as well

Yes, and the non-full mame importer is not perfect. Sometimes it missed a random game here and there. Which is why sometimes you needed to check to force a duplicate import. Again as mentioned before partly why many wanted to full importer for better parsing.

6 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

Yes, and the non-full mame importer is not perfect. Sometimes it missed a random game here and there. Which is why sometimes you needed to check to force a duplicate import. Again as mentioned before partly why many wanted to full importer for better parsing.

Kinda frustrating, seems that the unit way to fix then is to delete everything and start again, as if I import duplicate now I will get two of everything...

Guess that means all images will need to download again too 😞

13 hours ago, Lordmonkus said:

No, removing games from LB won't delete the images from your drive.

@Lordmonkus @Retro808 please help me, i'm losing my mind here

So, I just deleted everything, starting afresh

Import Roms -> MAME -> following options

image.thumb.png.e5f8fa765285f53b95987bba7912ecba.png 

image.thumb.png.56a4e9f867491fb630c2213f52b725b7.png

BUT LOOK - those TMNT (the example above, but must be happening with others I cannot identify) are STILL skipped. Even if I go back and select only the 4 zips they're skipped...

image.thumb.png.a59262a4b4259e772d69a1acdc6a6c9c.png

There are right there in the folder... I can't see how any of the options I'm looking at would skip this?!

image.thumb.png.07d8dc6a965d233909980b6c21d7b435.png

How on earth can I get it to import every single zip I have in that folder. It does this whether i select all the zips individually or the folder, so that doesnt work...

Is there an alternate way I can try this?
Maybe if I import a full mame set can I easily clean up what I don't have somehow? (I don't think so, but maybe I missed it)
Is there some alternative to importing this way?

Edited by vaderag

I use a curated rom set (439 games) using a Non Merged set as a base and when I imported my games I had to go back and re-import a small selection of games 1 by 1. I have no idea why I had to do this This was done around 3 years ago now so I have no idea if Jason has changed anything or not.

The only other option is to get a full set and import that using the full set import tool and the create a playlist of your favourite games.

Sorry I don't have a better solution to the problem.

32 minutes ago, Lordmonkus said:

I use a curated rom set (439 games) using a Non Merged set as a base and when I imported my games I had to go back and re-import a small selection of games 1 by 1. I have no idea why I had to do this This was done around 3 years ago now so I have no idea if Jason has changed anything or not.

The only other option is to get a full set and import that using the full set import tool and the create a playlist of your favourite games.

Sorry I don't have a better solution to the problem.

I do have a full rom set - this was actually trimmed and exported in my 'old' Launchbox setup as I'm trying to streamline. But if I import the full set I have the opposite problem, I clear out all the roms but every entry still has all it's clones linked etc which there doesn't seem to be an easy way to clean up...

@Jason Carr sorry to bother you, but are you able to shed any light on the above - it doesnt seem like there is much rhyme or reason for the way this is importing

1 hour ago, Retro808 said:

Not sure why it is not working for you. I just tested importing the 4 turtles files you mentioned into a clean install and LB had no issues importing. Also tried the same steps below and imported those 4 TMNT with about 200 games and no issue. What version LB are you using?

Screen Shot 2021-09-30 at 6.20.24 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-09-30 at 6.20.32 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-09-30 at 6.19.38 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-09-30 at 6.27.24 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-09-30 at 6.19.22 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-09-30 at 6.22.05 AM.png

Okay, now I'm even more confused...

I'm using the latest version (11.17) of Launchbox, full licence

image.thumb.png.4840389c2e90554ce75c6e96a1b4d94f.png

image.thumb.png.83a7d57f93810836f9e850056fcbe0c9.png

image.thumb.png.5b237212caa7184402b33dcdc978a834.png

image.thumb.png.29ccec55cecc6ffb6a4739cd73a14a49.png