LaunchBox Community Forums

Eclipse

Fry

Eclipse

View File

Eclipse

Eclipse for BigBox is a different kind of theme.  Rather than using the normal theme engine, it uses a plug-in to build the user interface from the ground up.  The goal for this plug-in is to provide: 

• Netflix style user interface with multiple lists of games on the screen at one time
  • Voice search
  • Random game function

Platform list view

Eclipse - Platform List.png

Game detail view

Eclipse - Game Details.png

Options for categorizing games

Eclipse - Options.png

Startup theme

Eclipse - Startup Theme.png

Shutdown theme

Eclipse - Exit Theme.png

Attract mode (screen saver)

image.png

Demo

Installation Instructions
1. Download: https://forums.launchbox-app.com/files/file/3220-eclipse/
2. Extract the contents to a folder
3. Inside the Eclipse folder is a folder called LaunchBox
4. Copy the Plugins, StartupThemes, and Themes folders
5. Go to your Launch Box installation folder and paste the copied folders
6. Open Big Box
7. Esc to get to options
8. Select Options > Views
9. Set Theme to Eclipse
10. Set Platforms List View to Platform Wheel 1
11. If you want to use the startup theme, Options > Game Startup
    - Uncheck Show "Loading Game..." Message
    - Check Enable Startup Screen
    - Startup Theme: Eclipse
    - Minimum Startup Screen Display Time: 5 seconds
    - Maximum Startup screen Display Time: 5 seconds
    - Check Hide Mouse Cursor on Startup Screens
12. Go back - the first time the theme starts will take a long load time to generate the image cache
13. NOTE - If you get any errors, you can check the log file called Eclipse.txt in your LaunchBox folder and message me on the forums to let me know

General usage
- Up, Down, Left, Right - moves around
- Enter - selects something
- Escape - cancel or go back - pressing it will get you back to the BigBox settings where you can exit the application
- Page Up - pick a random game
- Page Down - voice search

Bezels
- Bezel images can be displayed around the preview videos
- The system will first look for a game specific bezel. If not found, it will look for a platform specific bezel. If not found, it will look for a default bezel. 
- A few default bezels are provided with the installation. You can delete them from the folders specified below if you prefer the videos without bezels.

Game specific bezels
- The system tries to find a game specific bezel image in the following order:

1. In plug-in media directory:
..\LaunchBox\Plugins\Eclipse\Media\Bezels\{PLATFORM}\{CleanGameTitle}.png

- Here {CleanGameTitle} replaces any invalid characters with an underscore. Characters like ' and : cannot appear in file names so they are replaced with an underscore
- For example: A bezel file for the game "19XX: The War Against Destiny" should have the following path and file name ..\LaunchBox\Plugins\Eclipse\Media\Images\Arcade\Bezel\19XX_ The War Against Destiny.png

MAME bezels
- If a game specific bezel isn't found in the plug-ins media folder as described above, then the program will look into the MAME installation folder. In order for MAME bezels to work, installing the bezel project for MAME would create files with this structure:

..\LaunchBox\Emulators\MAME\artwork{game.ApplicationFilePath}"Bezel.png"

Retroarch bezels
- Bezels installed by the bezel project for retroarch will go into a folder location like this:

..\LaunchBox\Emulators\Retroarch\overlays\GameBezels{RetroarchPlatform}{game.ApplicationFilePath}.png

Platform specific bezels
- These are used if there are no game specific bezels found
- You can specify a different image for horizontally and vertically oriented games so that they fit appropriately
- The platform specific bezel image files must have the following file names and locations:
..\LaunchBox\Plugins\Eclipse\Media\Bezels\{PLATFORM}\Horizontal.png
..\LaunchBox\Plugins\Eclipse\Media\Bezels\{PLATFORM}\Vertical.png

System default bezels
- These are used if there are no game specific or platform specific bezels found
- You can specify a different image for horizontally and vertically oriented games so that they fit appropriately
- The default bezel image files must have the following file name and location:
..\LaunchBox\Plugins\Eclipse\Media\Bezels\Platforms\Default\Horizontal.png
..\LaunchBox\Plugins\Eclipse\Media\Bezels\Platforms\Default\Vertical.png

Looking for feedback

I'm looking for any suggestions that would make this theme better.  What's currently on my list for improvements:

1. New option to add a game to a playlist from the game detail screen
  2. New option to display game manuals from the game detail screen
  3. Improve image cache logic to better detect differences between LB images and plugin image cache
  4. Use VLC for video playback 
  5. Option to flip box art 
    1. This could be expanded a bit more to 
  6. Show achievements in game details
  7. Improvements to the options side-panel that opens up under the gear (add some icons and make it look a little less "blah")
  8. Several ideas for configuration options
    1. Default category and list to pick when opening 
    2. Minimum number of games required to be included in a category
      1. This would allow you to eliminate lists don't have more than 1 game showing in the series category for example
  9. Improvements to the loading screen to make it prettier
  10. Performance improvements for loading times by doing more work in the background
  11. Overhaul of entire codebase
    1. Support for any resolution or aspect ratio - currently this only works (well) on 16:9 screens
    2. Make game lists more dynamic - the implementation of the lists uses a bunch of static image controls 
    3. Localization

If anyone thinks of anything that could make this theme better, I'd be interested to hear it!

Source Code
If you're interested in the source code, it's (not pretty and it's) available here: 
https://github.com/AtomFry/Eclipse

Edited by Fry
  • Like 2

• Fry changed the title to Eclipse
  • 3 weeks later...

""The windows games no show videos""

the theme is incredible and a good representation of what would be netflix, I like it so much
the problem that I observe is that in the category of windows games
preview or video is not displayed
on all other platforms this works perfect
Something that I have observed is that the games that do show videos on windows are those that you add manually
and those that don't are added by the launchbox integration
Any way to solve this?

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 6/30/2022 at 6:42 PM, X1pheR said:

Just came across this theme. Love it. Is development still active?

I've been insanely swamped with work and family so I haven't had any time to work on this in a long time.  Several months back I put together a proof of concept for a new approach to load the game data/images that should greatly improve performance of it.  This project was my first ever WPF project and I made tons of design mistakes which makes it tough to maintain.  I hope to make time to eventually rewrite it with a better more maintainable design and incorporate several new features that have been mentioned in this thread.  If you have any suggestions for new features or improvements, please throw them out there.  I will definitely consider everything that's been posted whenever I get around to working on it again.    

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
On 11/16/2022 at 3:35 PM, Ronaldsnk said:

This is the best BigBox theme . The only thing I would like to "change" is the time for the snap video to show, for me it takes too long to appear. But apart from that, this theme is perfect for what I need. Thank you! 

Thanks for the feedback, I'm glad you're liking it.  I've been working on some minor updates to the theme to include some configuration settings.  I can add a setting that lets you specify how long you'd like to delay before playing the video snap in the next version.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/17/2022 at 7:55 PM, Fry said:

Thanks for the feedback, I'm glad you're liking it.  I've been working on some minor updates to the theme to include some configuration settings.  I can add a setting that lets you specify how long you'd like to delay before playing the video snap in the next version.  

Hi Fry!

I've continued to use Eclipse and loving it still. One feature request if you are still active developing the theme:

- Mouse Support - left drag to scroll, left click to select

I have a touch screen on my arcade cabinets and every time someone comes up for the first time they try to swipe and tap to navigate the menu. It'd be really cool if this was an option for the next version. Let me know if you have any questions or need any additional context :) 

Hope you're doing well and having a great holiday season!

-C

• Like 1

I’ve got it added to my list. I’ve got a Trello board to track my progress. You can see it here, I think you have to sign up for an account to be able to see it though

https://trello.com/b/cqnuTWZz/eclipse

Adding mouse and touch support is doable but may be tricky. I think left/right/up/down swipes to move through lists shouldn’t be too bad. Tapping to select the current game (first one in the list) should also be doable. Tapping on any game box to select it would probably require a pretty big change to the way games are selected but is possible. The biggest problem with doing this is that I don’t have any touch screen monitors for windows devices and I will need that to properly test and implement it. I’m not sure if/when I would ever get one. I’ve added it to my list so I don’t forget if I ever do get one. 

Here’s a list of what I’ve gotten done since last release. I should put this out soon: 

- Added settings screen in LaunchBox

- Setting to let you pick default list group so you can choose if it loads into games by Platform or Playlist or Genre or whatever 

- Ability to create custom game lists - pretty similar to the LaunchBox auto generated playlists so you can create lists like most played, least played, highest rated, recently added, etc…

- Setting to disable voice search if you’re not using it

- Settings to let you choose what function you want for page up and page down.  I’ve added some new functionality you can bind to page up/down: page up/down, Flip Box, Zoom (enlarge) box, Video volume up/down, and the old options of voice search, random game

- Setting to control how long in milliseconds the background image shows before it fades to the video preview.  Can set it to 0 so it will go straight to the video preview 

- Settings to show/hide broken/hidden games 

- Settings to enable/disable screen saver and how long in seconds until the screen saver starts

- Setting to specify whether pressing left when you have the first game selected will open the settings pane or if it just cycles backward through the games.  You can always open the settings pane by pressing esc so this just toggles whether pressing left can open the settings pane

- support the “include playlist in platforms” option on a playlist created in launchbox.  If a playlist is set to include in platforms, it will now be included in the games by platform group

- fixed bug where background images that are too wide wouldn’t “fade” properly

in progress: 

- add support on game details screen to launch different versions of the game if you have different versions added as additional applications in a game 

I will probably release a new version once this is done. After that, additional functionality on my mind are: 

- playlist management from game details (add game to playlist, remove game from playlist, create new playlist)

- emulator save support - enumerate and display details about game saves and save states in game details. Let you launch into a save (need lots of research and thinking about if/how this will work)

- more configuration options to show/hide different elements of the theme 

• Unusual Gem 1

• 4 weeks later...

Happy Holidays Fry!

That looks like a great update, I'm looking forward to it. Thank you for continuing to work on your awesome frontend! I'm happy to beta test mouse input for the touch screen with you if you'd like. It seems to function pretty much like mouse support from what I've seen. Joysticks are working great in the meantime though.

Quick question - What images do the screen saver use besides the Clear Logo? I have some really ugly ones and want to manually curate those folders.

Thanks!

-C

Edited by CrocketRauncher
  • Like 1

I've released version 0.0.10.  This includes a pretty significant code overhaul so it should probably be taken as a beta release.  If you update and run into any problems, please let me know and I'll see about getting them addressed.  You can always roll back to the prior version by downloading the 0.0.9 version and overwriting the files.  

• Added new settings menu item in LaunchBox to allow configuring settings (Tools > Manage Eclipse)
  • Added custom game lists functionality
  • Added setting to specify default list group
  • Added enlarge box art function
  • Added flip box art function
  • Added setting to disable voice search
  • Added setting to control duration of delay before fading from background image to preview video
  • Added setting to enable/disable screen saver
  • Added setting to specify how long until the screen saver starts
  • Added settings to specify whether hidden or broken games are included in lists
  • Added option to disable opening the side pane by pressing left at the start of a list
  • Added volume up and volume down functions
  • Added page up and page down functions
  • Added support for "Include playlist in platforms" option
  • Added support to play additional applications from game details
  • Fixed bug where background images that are too wide would not fade properly

Installation/Update instructions

1. If LaunchBox or BigBox is open, close it
  2. Download the latest version - it will be a zip file
  3. Extract the zip file to a folder
  4. Inside the extracted folder copy the Plugins, StartupThemes, and Themes folder
  5. Paste the folders into the LaunchBox folder
  6. If you had a prior version installed you will be prompted that the destination has files with the same names.  Choose to replace the files in the destination

Eclipse settings

To manage settings for the plug-in, open LaunchBox and select Tools > Manage eclipse.  

• Lists
    • Default group
      • Specify which list category group to load on default
      • The default value is to group games by Platform
    • Show game count in list description
      • Check the box to show the count of games in the list description
    • Include broken games
      • Check the box to include games marked broken in lists
    • Include hidden games
      • Check the box to include games marked hidden in lists 
  • Inputs
    • Page up
      • Select the function that should occur when page down is pressed
      • Available options: 
        • Page up
        • Page down
        • Voice search
        • Random game
        • Flip box
        • Zoom box
        • Volume up
        • Volume down
    • Page down
      • Select the functions that should occur when page up is pressed
      • Available options: 
        • Page up
        • Page down
        • Voice search
        • Random game
        • Flip box
        • Zoom box
        • Volume up
        • Volume down
    • Enable voice search
      • Check the box to enable voice search functionality
      • Uncheck the box to disable voice search functionality
    • Open settings pane on left press
      • Check the box to enable opening the settings pane when pressing left on the first game
      • Uncheck the box to cycle to the last game of the list instead of opening the settings pane
      • Regardless of the selection, the settings pane will open when pressing the escape key
  • Versions
    • Enable additional versions
      • Check the box to allow selecting additional versions from the game details screen for games that have multiple versions of games combined as additional apps 
    • Display field
      • Select which field is displayed on the game details screen to indicate the additional application version
    • Suppress "Play" from version description
      • When combining multiple games in LaunchBox, the additional versions of the games are added as additional applications and are given a name that starts with "Play", ends with "Version...", and combines the revision and region (i.e. Play (USA) (REV 1) Version)
      • Check this box to suppress the word "Play" from the start of the description so that it doesn't display as "Play Play (USA) (REV A)"
    • Suppress "Version..." from version description
      • When combining multiple games in LaunchBox, the additional versions of the games are added as additional applications and are given a name that starts with "Play", ends with "Version...", and combines the revision and region (i.e. Play (USA) (REV 1) Version)
      • Check this box to suppress the word "Version..." from the end of the description
    • Only additional versions with emulators
      • Check this box to only include additional applications that have an emulator path specified 
    • Exclude run before 
      • Check this box to exclude additional applications that are set to run before the game launches (generally these are not games)
    • Exclude run after
      • Check this box to exclude additional applications that are set to run after the game exits (generally these are not games)
  • Other
    • Enable screen saver
      • Check this box to enable the screen saver
    • Screensaver delay
      • Use the slider to specify the amount of inactive time (in seconds) to delay before starting the screen saver
    • Video delay
      • Use the slider to specify the amount of time to delay (in milliseconds) to delay on a game's background image before starting the game's preview video
  • Custom lists
    • Custom lists can be added (i.e. favorites, last played, most played, unplayed, top rated, etc...)
    • General
      • Description
        • Enter a description of the list that will show in the theme
      • Max games in list
        • Enter a number to limit the list to a number of games
        • Enter 0 for no limit
        • For example you may create a list for top 20 games, enter 20
    • Filter
      • Filters let us create a custom list by specifying what fields to filter on
      • Specify the field, operator and filter value to apply to the create the filtered list of games
      • Examples
        • Games that have more than 50 community rating votes
          • Field: CommunityStarRatingTotalVotes
          • Operator: GreaterThan
          • Value: 50
        • Games that have never been played
          • Field: PlayCount
          • Operator: Equal
          • Value: 0
        • Games that have been played
          • Field: PlayCount
          • Operator: NotEqual
          • Value: 0
        • Games that are marked as favorites
          • Field: Favorite
          • Operator: Equal
          • Value: True
    • Sort
      • Specify how the games in a list should be sorted
    • Assorted groups
      • Specify which list groups the custom list should be included in

Edited by Fry
  • Thanks 1
  • Unusual Gem 1

• 2 weeks later...

Great work again and thanks for the update!

The only issue I see is the 'All' category shows 1 game, repeated 8 times, and is not scrollable. I can scroll past this list so its no problem. 

The single game chosen for All is a Wii U title starting with "O" and it is not visible in the Wii U list. It is not marked as broken, favorite, or hidden. 

Oh, and the was a file permission error on the config  (blank screen) which a restart fixed.

• Like 1

Happy new year Fry and thank you so much for the update! I'm looking forward to installing this latest version and will let you know how they perform after I've tested them out for a bit.

People really need to try this frontend - it's an absolute gem for BB.

2023 is rocking already! \o/

Edited by CrocketRauncher
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, launchbox_saropa said:

Great work again and thanks for the update!

The only issue I see is the 'All' category shows 1 game, repeated 8 times, and is not scrollable. I can scroll past this list so its no problem. 

The single game chosen for All is a Wii U title starting with "O" and it is not visible in the Wii U list. It is not marked as broken, favorite, or hidden. 

Oh, and the was a file permission error on the config  (blank screen) which a restart fixed.

Regarding All category, do you happen to have a playlist called All with one game in it?  I ask because new in this version is if a playlist is set to be included in platforms then those playlists will be included as lists in the platforms category.  Regarding the one  game repeating 8 times, it's always worked like that.  It basically fills up the screen with box images.  So for example, if you have a list with only two or three games in it, those two or three games will repeat all the way across the screen. Technically, it does scroll through the games but there's no animation on the scrolling so it doesn't look like anything is happening.  

That's interesting about the file permission error.  I will look into that.  I'm assuming it's a bug with using the config for the first time if a restart fixed it.  I haven't experienced that but I will try with some fresh installs and see if I can reproduce it.  

• Like 1