LaunchBox Community Forums

Dreamstate's - 4K and 8K - Realistic Vertical MAME Overlays

Dreamstate

Hi Dreamstate.

Your work is breathtaking.

I would asume you are from a older crowd based on your titles.

The machines you choose are very beautiful astetically.

I am about to look them up I have not heard of a large amount of your titles.

So I wanted to say what you are doing is a very beautiful thing.

I wanted to say thank you for sharing your creations and also for having me look up things that I haden't seen or experienced yet.

Cheers.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, djweevil666 said:

Hi Dreamstate.

Your work is breathtaking.

I would asume you are from a older crowd based on your titles.

The machines you choose are very beautiful astetically.

I am about to look them up I have not heard of a large amount of your titles.

So I wanted to say what you are doing is a very beautiful thing.

I wanted to say thank you for sharing your creations and also for having me look up things that I haden't seen or experienced yet.

Cheers.

Appreciated. I'm into restoring old artwork so the titles I choose aren't necessarily games I would play now or back when I was a kid. Some definitely are though and I've made my own versions when others overlay work doesnt suit my tastes. It's definitely part of my game plan to let people see what other countries offered in arcades because some were much more beautiful than north American cabinets. I just wish I could get my hands on some others I've seen like Spanish varients from Sega S.A. SONIC etc. If anyone is interested in stuff you've never seen dig into this site and its listings of all your favorite arcade titles. Some are mind blowing. It's like being able to see an alternate universe of arcade cabinets. www.recreativas.org

Click the "Maquinas recreativas dedicadas"/ dedicated arcade machines section. 

Cheers.

Edited by Dreamstate

• 2 weeks later...

Midway Wizard Of Wor 8k

I revisited this one since it's a favorite of mine. I swapped out the old photo of the marquee for a scan that I lit up for a huge bump in resolution. I removed the arcade reflection on the bezel with scratches as this one looks better without them. I gave the rest of the artwork on the cab a slight black light effect. Enjoy!

This ones for you Charlie M.

Wizard Of Wor Vertical Overlay By Dreamstate.png

wow.zip

Edited by Dreamstate
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Unusual Gem 1

19 minutes ago, Dreamstate said:

Wizard Of Wor 8k

I revisited this one since it's a favorite of mine. I swapped out the old photo of the marquee for a scan I lit up for a huge bump in resolution. I swapped the old reflection with scratches for my newer one without them. I gave the rest of the artwork on the cab a slight black light effect. Enjoy!

This ones for you Charlie M.

WOW.png

wow.zip 15.56 MB · 0 downloads

Bloody lovely 👍🏼

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, PiperCalls said:

Wow those look great 👍. I'm doing bezels for vertical games on a vertical monitor now. Question how did you get the light behind the marquee effect? I can't seem to get any lighting effects that mimic that well.

I obviously create these in photoshop and I make many layers that combined give the desired effect . I sometimes have as many as 10-15 layers for one marquee. I brighten, darken the colors. Fade things and blend them into each other and i use photos as reference while I'm making them. Sometimes i literally sample all the different shades of colors in the photos to get more accurate looks for the marquees. Most take me about 2-3 hrs to create. It's understandable why some people like myself use good photos in place of scans because there's so much work involved. But the end result is worth it when it's a cab you love.

• 2 weeks later...

Seriously, incredible. I'm new to the overlay world. Lets say I wanted to play quartet with the Quartet overlay - Maybe ill head to youtube and search but if there's a nice tutorial on how to add these to Retroarch, I can't wait to try these all out!!! THANK YOU for your hard work! your hobby and effort have benefitted many people!

• Like 1