LaunchBox Community Forums

Dreamcast ".cdi" files

eacochran

I have some  Dreamcast games I would like to import to Launchbox and they're in .cdi format. But when I go through the import process, it shows that there are no games in the directory that I have selected. I'm using redream as my default emulator and redream picks them up no problem. Any idea what I'm doing wrong here? or if there's some sort of conversion tool I can use to get them to whatever extension they need to be to become readable?

Can't really say since I'm new to Dreamcast emulation. I saw the split up versions and had to compile them and when that happened, they came together as one .cdi file. Is there some sort of cdi to gdi conversion tool? Or is there a way to get launchbox to read cdi files? I just don't see why the emulator can run them with no problem but the front end can't read them. Know what I mean?

I'm just using the "import" option from the drop down menu and go through the whole set up by adding the platform the games are for, the emulator I want to use and the directory of the games- I select to have the games moved from their directory to the LB>Games>Sega Dreamcast Folder. But when it shows the list of games that are about to be imported, the list is empty and when I hit next, nothing imports.

Edited by eacochran

5 minutes ago, eacochran said:

Do you mean that the game/rom files have to match the names on that data base? Because they do.

They do not actually have to match they just need to be a good named file. Not have a bunch of junk info in the name. 

Post a pic of the rom files/folder content so we can see what we are dealing with. 

On 12/9/2021 at 5:24 PM, Retro808 said:

They do not actually have to match they just need to be a good named file. Not have a bunch of junk info in the name. 

Post a pic of the rom files/folder content so we can see what we are dealing with. 

Here's a pic of some of the games. Pretty basic names. Again, Redream boots them with absolutely no problem at all.

Screenshot 2021-12-10 174915.png

Edited by eacochran

I just downloaded a Dreamcast game in .cdi format and it imports just fine.

788665036_Schermopname(17).thumb.jpg.bdc4839902241cd39d583bf3979685cf.jpg

362395481_Schermopname(18).thumb.jpg.b14ac661b3b0d59192e0d8438e8098fd.jpg

403071055_Schermopname(19).thumb.jpg.d3146723b779ef4e20055cda972a594e.jpg

I use RetroArch for Dreamcast emulation, but the emulator does not matter for the import process.

1030824972_Schermopname(20).thumb.jpg.4738ddf9745365cc9f3cf321849fb1ac.jpg

As I already added the game to the correct folder where I keep my Dreamcast games I selected "Use files in their current location".

479585351_Schermopname(21).thumb.jpg.0688360d9d3e59bd53b14e986b959b33.jpg

1303837244_Schermopname(22).thumb.jpg.192f12509a31bd13489769fd186c079c.jpg

911263616_Schermopname(23).thumb.jpg.b636740a90c9db1eec6ed37b3d3465e0.jpg

As you see here, LaunchBox picked up the game just fine.

Does LB even care about format? I mean you can throw anything at it whatever you want, it doesn't care. If you wanna run a .txt file, you can do it, perhaps it doesn't launch the way you want, but you still can do it. 

But there seems to be another problem lately with LB, like I mentioned in another thread, I cannot add emulators anymore, whatever I do, I keep getting this message. Could this be a side effect? 

On 12/9/2021 at 4:50 AM, Retro808 said:

What method are you using to import them?

If you use the file option you can select all the .cdi or you can open a Windows folder, select them all there, then drag and drop onto LB. 

Lol, this worked. I just got around to trying it and it worked no problem. Metadate downloaded just fine, too. But for some reason when I  go through the import process, it doesn't detect them. Thanks for your help fellas.