LaunchBox Community Forums

Launchbox unresponsive and slow

eido

Hey. So I took a long break from LB and emulation in general after having had a good time with it years ago. I am back now and have been fiddling with LB for the last couple of weeks. The Importing and playing of games is fine, no issues there. But LB itself is slow to respond when clicking menu items, sometimes it takes 20 seconds for the window to open when I am clicking the tools option for example. I tried fresh installs on different HDDs ,SSDs, it doesn't matter. My system is as follows:

• CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Graphics: ASUS TUF RTX 3080 GAMING OC
  • Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS
  • RAM: 32GB DDR4-3200
  • Windows 10 Home

My primary screen runs at 144hz in 2560x1440p in G-Sync compatible mode, this is where I run LB, a second screen is connected at 144hz in 1080p. All drivers are up to date. Big Box is mostly fine with a hitch here and there.

Edited by eido
forgot OS

I am experiencing the same issue. It seems to get worse the longer I use the application. It is currently taking 5 to 7 seconds to open the menu. If I keep clicking it will sometimes open faster and the menu will layer on top of one another briefly. I have a similar setup to you. Resolution is the same, however I'm at 165hz. I did try running at 60hz and that didn't solve the issue so I changed it back. I don't have a fix, but wanted to let you know you aren't alone with the problem.

Right now most of the UI is threaded so Windows doesn't mistakenly lock the app, because of this we HAVE seen some reports that the menu takes longer than expected to open. The fact you are using a larger monitor also is a factor just because any draw calls WPF makes takes longer. Typically the CPU and monitor resolution is the biggest factors if what I am referring to is the actual cause for the delay you are seeing. We are looking into way to improve the experience. In the meantime could you tell me if running LB on your 1080p display has any noticeable difference in how slow or fast the menu appears? Also are ALL menu's doing this for you or one in particular? I know the on the fly filter menu can take a second sometimes because it's parsing a lot of data before opening, but the others shouldn't have any severe delays in them

For me, this is the menu I have noticed the problem with.

image.png.c4906ef163480be0302d0e1b6417d273.png

I did try changing my display to 1920x1080 and the problem gets much much worse. At this moment in time, 2560x1440 is taking about 1 second to open. If I change it to 1920x1080 its about 10 full seconds. Changing it back increases the speed back to 1 second. Its strange that it seems to be running fine until its not and the only way to correct it seems to be to close out and start over.

I just tested this menu element while I was in 1080 and I have the same problem there too.

image.png.4588c11b2c0c4d11609a5e42f94b4fb3.png

View and Tools both are the slowest to open of the bunch at maybe 7 seconds? Changing it back to 1440 is working at the moment but not sure for how long. Right clicking a category seems fine either way.

5 minutes ago, moudrost said:

For me, this is the menu I have noticed the problem with.

image.png.c4906ef163480be0302d0e1b6417d273.png

I did try changing my display to 1920x1080 and the problem gets much much worse. At this moment in time, 2560x1440 is taking about 1 second to open. If I change it to 1920x1080 its about 10 full seconds. Changing it back increases the speed back to 1 second. Its strange that it seems to be running fine until its not and the only way to correct it seems to be to close out and start over.

I just tested this menu element while I was in 1080 and I have the same problem there too.

image.png.4588c11b2c0c4d11609a5e42f94b4fb3.png

View and Tools both are the slowest to open of the bunch at maybe 7 seconds? Changing it back to 1440 is working at the moment but not sure for how long. Right clicking a category seems fine either way.

Just a suggestion to  look at, but do you have your HDD's set to power down to save power when not in use? Just wondering as you say it happens if Launchbox has been open a while, maybe your HDD has parked and needs to spin up again, causing the delay.

For me this was not the case. When I started (or noticed) to have the issue was after the latest upgrade and doing a scan of removed and added ROMs. The hard drive did not have a chance to spin down because I started a new scan a few seconds after the first task completed which forced me to use the menu indicated. Yesterday while making the above observations, the hard drive was active as well. I have a desktop and an arcade cabinet with pretty similar hardware. The same 32" monitors on both running at the same resolution and both have the exact same issue. Only major difference between the two is the desktop has a GTX3070 and the arcade cabinet a 2060. My desktop is running the entire setup from a WD elements. My arcade cabinet has the LB installation and emulators on a 2TB SSD while all the games are on a 8TB WD elements. When running LB on my arcade cabinet I have the same issue though most of the time its using BigBox and that seems to work fine.

I don't know if the issue started prior to this exact version we are on now since I was 2 or 3 minor versions behind since I had been ignoring the upgrade prompt I think since 12.3. I also had been been primarily using BigBox prior to that for a good 6 months but I would have complained then if this was happening to me at the time but I don't recall any issues for the past few years with the same hardware.

If that is the case, I would love to have some idea what it is. I have made 0 changes to my arcade cabinet in over a year besides upgrading LB. It used to work flawlessly and it doesn't now. That is intentional since stability is my main point of concern with that install over everything else. My desktop however I keep everything up to date. Emulators. ROMs. Media. I did not copy the install from my desktop to my arcade cabinet. These are two independent installs that have reached the same conclusion. Since yesterday I have tested my arcade cabinet and it too works worse if I change the resolution to 1080p. It just doesn't feel like a configuration issue since the problem isn't with any emulation, but rather with LB itself and basic navigation.

31 minutes ago, moudrost said:

If that is the case, I would love to have some idea what it is. I have made 0 changes to my arcade cabinet in over a year besides upgrading LB. It used to work flawlessly and it doesn't now. That is intentional since stability is my main point of concern with that install over everything else. My desktop however I keep everything up to date. Emulators. ROMs. Media. I did not copy the install from my desktop to my arcade cabinet. These are two independent installs that have reached the same conclusion. Since yesterday I have tested my arcade cabinet and it too works worse if I change the resolution to 1080p. It just doesn't feel like a configuration issue since the problem isn't with any emulation, but rather with LB itself and basic navigation.

Doubtful it is a setting. We have seen a few random users experience similar things, though many times it ends up being an addition software running or a driver issue. Everything this up to date driver and Windows wise on your set-up?

Do you have lot of Auto-Populating playlists?

The only playlists I'm using are the auto generated ones and I'm using the default values.

image.thumb.png.8b10d79e697e4307fb8bf6ccae929d49.png

I have roughly 60 platforms configured with ~43000 total games.

On my desktop, I'm running a...

• i7-11700KF @ 3.6GHz
  • 32GB of RAM
  • Windows 11 Home
  • RTX 3070

Windows is up to date along with all drivers.

I'm running vanilla LB and BB on both machines.

On 12/30/2021 at 3:26 PM, C-Beats said:

Also are ALL menu's doing this for you or one in particular? I know the on the fly filter menu can take a second sometimes because it's parsing a lot of data before opening, but the others shouldn't have any severe delays in them

All of them do it, but there's no rhyme or reason to it. I can click the hamburger button once and it open instantly, click the tools button and it's circle time for 3 seconds, then have to wait 15 seconds for the hamburger button again. I also tried my 1080p Display and it makes no difference. I have it unplugged at the moment and use a single 1440p display. All Drivers and stuff are up to date. I tried installs on my system ssd and internal hdds. 

We took a look at the menu code and found things we can do that should improve the menu responsiveness for everyone. The changes should be in the next beta. I'll do my best to remember to update this thread when the release is out and you all can help us test and make sure you are seeing the improvements on your machines like we hope you will.

14 hours ago, C-Beats said:

If you are experiencing slow menus could you please update to the beta version (done in LaunchBox options, update page) and let us know in this thread if it did or did not help your menu's open up faster?

All the menus open instantly now and everything is fine. Love you guys.