LaunchBox Community Forums

Big Box - Crashing while in attract mode

jonathanmarcoux

14 hours ago, jonathanmarcoux said:

not working

unable to start the app...

.netcore.jpg

To be honest, this is not relevant to this thread, so you should start a new thread instead of hopping on here. This just means that you need to install .NET Core 3.1. If you run the LaunchBox installer it should do it for you.

@Jason Carr I just went and looked at my arcade cabinet and noticed the pixelcade marquee had no image and the screen appeared frozen. The video for the selected game wasn't running and controls weren't working. It appeared frozen but I could see the small animation appearing on top of the selected game name still running. I grabbed the keyboard and did an alt-tab to look at the pixelcade listener running in the background and then did an alt-tab back to Big Box and then everything starting running again. The video for the game still on the screen started up and the controls allowed me to navigate and the pixelcade display turned back on.

I just left it as is and will check on it later. So far the crash to desktop hasn't happened, but this doesn't seem right. I'll keep you posted.

@Jason Carr Software was crashed this morning. Upon restart I see beta 6 is out. Installing, but doesn't look like anything related to this issue. By crashed I should say the cabinet was sitting at the Windows 11 desktop. No errors. It is as if the software was never running.

Edited by moudrost
Adding clarification.

@moudrost when you see the app has hard crashed to the desktop could you please look in Windows Event Viewer in the application logs for the error log that would have been generated. There will be two for each crash, one tends to have an actual error code, the other is just a log saying it crashed. Could you send us a copy of the log with the error? This will help quite a bit in discovering what is causing the crash on your system so as we move forward we can do a better job identifying and addressing it.

@C-Beats got some error logs for you.

This is the one labeled "information".

Fault bucket 1319418140942188136, type 4
Event Name: APPCRASH
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: BigBox.exe
P2: 12.15.0.0
P3: 62fd85e1
P4: StackHash_b596
P5: 10.0.22000.918
P6: 57b668f2
P7: c0000374
P8: PCH_D2_FROM_ntdll+0x00000000000A46D4
P9:
P10:

Attached files:
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER.c4b6c981-da9b-420a-8bdb-5e63d0831a4b.tmp.mdmp
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER.353618a7-c179-4f49-a24f-d754692faf84.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER.b663b11d-30eb-44f0-897a-98ab28483dc7.tmp.xml
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER.3da47b67-aa14-4085-bed7-660f15aa8890.tmp.csv
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER.e30893de-e48b-4116-9fc1-7b7da90ed3be.tmp.txt

These files may be available here:
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppCrash_BigBox.exe_a25dad52c57959c535d7885f3cdc3a17e5f5_41db42c1_96e04a16-925d-4877-8739-407dabcf839f

Analysis symbol:
Rechecking for solution: 0
Report Id: 12fd8d02-d07b-4036-9ae8-15279c51b635
Report Status: 268435456
Hashed bucket: 75852d5bdf4d0356424f83cf0110be68
Cab Guid: 0

---

The one is the "error".

Faulting application name: BigBox.exe, version: 12.15.0.0, time stamp: 0x62fd85e1
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.22000.918, time stamp: 0x57b668f2
Exception code: 0xc0000374
Fault offset: 0x000000000010c509
Faulting process id: 0x4188
Faulting application start time: 0x01d8d59b3aa2ebb1
Faulting application path: D:\Applications\LaunchBox\Core\BigBox.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report Id: 12fd8d02-d07b-4036-9ae8-15279c51b635
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

I'm not sure what else to provide. There is nothing besides those two entries I posted. There are other events before and after the crash but it is just general informational noise unrelated to BigBox and most contain 1 line indicating some task being executed. There are logs every time it crashes and all looks somewhat similar to what I provided. If you have some examples of what I should be looking for I would be more than happy to get it, but I'm just not seeing anything else useful. There is a large text file in the debug folder, but even that looks unremarkable from start to end.

11 hours ago, moudrost said:

I'm not sure what else to provide. There is nothing besides those two entries I posted. There are other events before and after the crash but it is just general informational noise unrelated to BigBox and most contain 1 line indicating some task being executed. There are logs every time it crashes and all looks somewhat similar to what I provided. If you have some examples of what I should be looking for I would be more than happy to get it, but I'm just not seeing anything else useful. There is a large text file in the debug folder, but even that looks unremarkable from start to end.

Looking for the .NET Runtime error log entry (if one exists). Should appear right before the first Application Log entry.

image.thumb.png.5ed0109921ede9eacb676013163e2d51.png

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to state that I'm also running into this error straight  off a fresh install of Windows with 16 gigs of RAM. Time varies, switching to VLC didn't really help. The only thing I've done is download the media files from emumovies, which are at high quality. It feels like it's not freeing up the memory used to store those videos, or at least not all of it, so over time it just runs out. *shrug* Not a developer, so I won't pretend to understand things you guys have probably already pored over :P I love attract mode, I just wish it wouldn't crash after between 1-3 days. For me also, if I catch it right as it's messing up, like BigBox is still running, it's just not responsive, it WILL crash, but my Windows will still be slightly unusable for a time, citing lack of memory to do things like open task manager or other windows. It eventually clears up once BigBox has fully ousted itself.