LaunchBox Community Forums

Big Box - Crashing while in attract mode

jonathanmarcoux

On 11/21/2022 at 9:30 AM, Monsterclip said:

@C-Beats Unified Refried with some art modifications (custom videos, background art, marquees, etc.)

Haven't added more than 1 or 2 games since 12.14, when this worked for days on end.

I suppose it's possible that Unified Refried has a memory leak. We should definitely look into that. Can you try using a different theme (maybe try the Default theme) to see if you have the same issue?

Mine's crashing between 1-3 hours. Unified theme in Big Box.. I'll walk by and see the nothing's moving in attract mode and then I can't interact with it. I alt-tab out and check the Event Viewer and see nothing wrong. I'm running in debug mode now to see if anything pops up. It was fine on the 12.15. 13.0 is when the lock up in Big Box began.

Here's the log right before it locked up today.  I get a lot of ImageSourceConverter cannot convert from (null) throughout the time it's up. but it only crashed when the Not enough quota is available to process this command is when it died it seems.

2022-12-06 11:13:42 AM FIRST CHANCE EXCEPTION: ImageSourceConverter cannot convert from (null).
   at System.ComponentModel.TypeConverter.GetConvertFromException(Object value)
2022-12-06 11:13:42 AM FIRST CHANCE EXCEPTION: ImageSourceConverter cannot convert from (null).
   at System.ComponentModel.TypeConverter.GetConvertFromException(Object value)
   at System.Windows.Media.ImageSourceConverter.ConvertFrom(ITypeDescriptorContext context, CultureInfo culture, Object value)
2022-12-06 11:13:42 AM Music.StopAndResumeBackground Start
2022-12-06 11:13:42 AM Music.StopAndResumeBackground Start
2022-12-06 11:20:37 AM FIRST CHANCE EXCEPTION: Not enough quota is available to process this command.
   at MS.Win32.UnsafeNativeMethods.PostMessage(HandleRef hwnd, WindowMessage msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
2022-12-06 11:20:37 AM DISPLAYED EXCEPTION: Not enough quota is available to process this command.
   at MS.Win32.UnsafeNativeMethods.PostMessage(HandleRef hwnd, WindowMessage msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
   at System.Windows.Interop.HwndTarget.UpdateWindowSettings(Boolean enableRenderTarget, Nullable`1 channelSet)
   at System.Windows.Interop.HwndTarget.UpdateWindowPos(IntPtr lParam)
   at System.Windows.Interop.HwndTarget.HandleMessage(WindowMessage msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
   at System.Windows.Interop.HwndSource.HwndTargetFilterMessage(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
   at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
   at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(Object o)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)

I MIGHT have fixed my issue. I switched from using VLC to Windows Media Player to display the videos and so far no crashes. We'll see how long it lasts. This does make it though some videos don't load at all on attract mode, but if it prevents Big Box from crashing I'll live with it for now.

Edited by HellraiserGN
  • Like 1

I tried this @HellraiserGN

Normally I would crash consistently within about 6 hours. This time, I was still running around 12 hours so I thought it was fixed. But, alas, I woke up this morning to it having crashed.

So, while 1 test isn't necessarily proof, changing the video possibly made it better, but didn't solve it for me.

Edited by Monsterclip

I am still having similar issues with 12.16 and 13.0 as well using the Unified Theme.  In addition to random crashing, I have noticeable choppiness while spinning, which often causes second monitor (used for marquees) to change to a different marquee while attract mode is still spinning.  Also have noticed that sometimes instead of an all out crash, attract mode will continue working but the preview videos will not be visible (the audio is still there but I can only see the theme's background image).  If I press the button to move over to the game details page and back, the video becomes visible again.  Final symptom is that when BB is exited, I can hear the audio from the last preview video that was playing prior to exit for 5-7 seconds.  Have switched back to 12.15 for now in hopes this is something that can be addressed in later updates.

In another thread, we recently discovered that the CriticalZoneV2 theme may be the culprit for some of these issues, so we're doing some additional testing with that theme to see if we can fix those.

That said, there are no known issues with the Unified theme (or Unified Redux) in the latest official release. We've been successfully testing both Unified Redux and the Default theme for weeks on end without any stability issues. It is worth noting that the latest official version of LaunchBox/Big Box does have some related fixes in it. In addition, though it may seem that Windows Media Player might fix some issues, there are some serious bugs with Windows Media Player that are likely to *cause* stability issues (it does for us), so we still don't recommend using WMP if you're looking for long-term stability.

All this to say that if you haven't tested the latest version, it's worth doing so again with VLC (we put VLC-specific fixes into 13.0). Beyond that, we may still need to resolve some bugs with certain themes that could be causing the issues, or it is possible that further issues could be caused by certain hardware configurations, media libraries, settings, etc. We do know that we've resolved the long-term stability issues for some folks with the 13.0 release, but of course not yet for everyone and probably not for every theme.

Thanks for bearing with us guys, and continuing to report the details. :)

• 3 weeks later...

I have mitigated this particular crash issue by changing the "wait time" to 30 minutes and the "time between movements" to 5 minutes in the attract mode settings. It hasn't crashed in a few weeks with these settings. Feels like a memory leak. If I reset it back to the original values I'm back to daily crashes so I'll stick with this for now until a permanent fix can be found.

i really want to notice the producter of the apps...... my topic seems to anoye many user......just notice that personnaly, I still use the 9.1 version who never never never crash in attrack mode..... never..

as soon as I use the newer version......crash after couple of hour....

so the problem is somewhere......between version.....

try 9.1 version for people they want the peace !

I have same issue.  Started recently, but i didn't notice until version 13.   Theme unified or unified redux runs sometimes for hours then locks screen and won't respond to anything, funny thing tends to do it on neo geo screen most of time.  Not sure related just observation.   So i tried retrofresh and that one usually won't run for more than 20 min or so and does same thing.  I don't see errors on screen due to lock and event log is fairly clean.  The debug logs do have something about stopping attract mode and various events, logs seem to vary on what is flagged as error.  Super frustrating can't keep bigbox running.  

I thought it was my windows 11 now i don't believe that is the case.  My hardware isn't this issue i have way more hardware than the games will ever use and if i leave it on desktop doesn't lock up. I have no fix at this time that has worked. 

For people getting this issue (like I am), try using this plugin.

I installed it because another user said it could potentially fix my marquee issue where Teknoparrot marquees won't show.

It DID fix that (YES!) and it also has seemingly fixed or improved the crashing issues that we started seeing in 12.5. I used to get a crash every 6 hours, now I've been running attract mode a few days with no crash.

@Jason Carr just wanted to mention it in case it helps with investigations. If it's a memory leak, maybe something marquee related and this plugin does something differently.

• 3 weeks later...

OK,... lets see who is better than me , I work a lot in renewing all my video snaps of my collection by downloading it from emumovie,... now after severals hours of hard work...It still crash in attrack mode version 13.1.

i put here my debug log.......... is there anybody can read that and compare with his problem ??

I notice  that it said : Insufficient available memory to meet the expected demands...

this begin around 4h30am during the night in attrack mode.....

what can we do .. ??   is it this the problem ??

424582272_Debug2023-02-0405-46-39PM.log

7 minutes ago, jonathanmarcoux said:

If you haven't yet, switch to the default theme and see how long you can last. A lot of crashes are theme specific, so it's good to rule them out right off the bat (or have it point directly to a theme specific issue).