LaunchBox Community Forums

Navigation impossible in Android app on Ayn Odin

kevinlingley

Hi, I have the latest Launchbox installed on my Ayn Odin and I am completely unable to scroll through any list within the app using touch or joypads. Does anyone know if a setting could affect this? Input on any other app, game or frontend has been working well, so I don't think it's a hardware issue. Thanks

2 minutes ago, faeran said:

Not familiar with that device. Is it this one?

Yes, at least i assume, there is supposed to be a few models, but that one is all i have seen on the youtube channels so far. Its a Android phone with built in controls essentially, whether those are xinput or dinput is hard to tell, but in all the videos i have watched they work with every game/emulator tested.

• Thanks 1

This will be hard to figure out without having the device on hand, unfortunately. I would definitely like to get this fixed though. Apparently they're doing some pretty non-standard stuff with controls on that device, because this is the first device we've seen in a long time with any issues. Is it possible to buy the device currently?

10 hours ago, kevinlingley said:

@Jason Carr yes I am. No matter what I do. I thought it must be some sort of odd config issue as I’m able to use other front ends with no problems, I just prefer LaunchBox! Is there anything I can send you, for example config or debug files?

There are debug log files in the Logs subfolder of the LaunchBox folder, so that might be helpful, but probably not because we haven't logged the controller input. It's probably still worth a shot though. You might have to turn on Debug Logs in the Options.

I watched your video again, and it looks like some controller on the system is just permanently stuck in the "up" position. That could be an issue with a bad dead zone on the stick, or maybe some kind of other controller that's connected. I am wondering if maybe it could be a faulty device, because @ETAPRIME also has one and is not experiencing the issue.

I agree. I'm just wondering why I don't see the same behaviour in other apps or games, only Launchbox? I've seen examples including @ETAPRIME's videos of it working well so I can only conclude that I have some weird config. 

The log files don't show anything as you suggested. Attached here for reference:

2022-02-23 07:06:49 PM Debug logging initiated from startup.
2022-02-23 07:06:49 PM Android games parsed.
2022-02-23 07:06:49 PM MainPage interface created.
2022-02-23 07:06:49 PM Menu page component initialized.
2022-02-23 07:06:49 PM Menu page items built.
2022-02-23 07:06:49 PM Menu page list view initialized.
2022-02-23 07:07:18 PM Download completed successfully on Box - Front image for game Asphalt: Urban GT 2.
2022-02-23 07:07:19 PM Download completed successfully on Box - Front image for game Asphalt: Urban GT 2.
2022-02-23 07:07:19 PM Download completed successfully on Box - Front image for game Midnight Club 3: DUB Edition.
2022-02-23 07:07:19 PM Download completed successfully on Box - Front image for game Crash Tag Team Racing.
2022-02-23 07:07:27 PM Download completed successfully on Box - Front image for game Mario Kart 64.
2022-02-23 07:07:28 PM Download completed successfully on Box - Front image for game Star Wars: Episode I: Racer.
2022-02-23 07:07:28 PM Download completed successfully on Box - Front image for game Colin McRae Rally 2005 Plus.
2022-02-23 07:07:32 PM Download completed successfully on Box - Front image for game Mario Kart 64.
2022-02-23 07:07:33 PM Download completed successfully on Box - Front image for game Colin McRae: DiRT 2.
2022-02-23 07:07:35 PM Download completed successfully on Box - Front image for game Burnout Dominator.

Debug 2022-02-23 07-06-48 PM.log

• Like 1

If it is a deadzone issue, it is possible that LaunchBox is not as forgiving as other apps with the deadzone, but that's all I can figure as to why it would only be affecting LaunchBox. There are many other reasons why it could be though. Every controller implementation is different.

Do you have the option to reset the device to factory software (remove all configs and such)?

• 5 months later...

Hi guys,

So glad I've found this thread.

Since yesterday, I used LB for android 1.4 on a Samsung Tab S3 connected to my Ipega 9083 via bluetooth with no issues.

Today I've launched the app and ALL OF A SUDDEN I am experiencing the same issue of @kevinlingley, this means it is impossible for me to scroll down in the game selection menu in LB. No issue at all in Android environment or Retroarch, meaning that I can scroll/navigate with pad/stick with no problem.

I tried to reset the controller and installing the latest beta version of LB for Android but no success. Did you guys solve the issue in the end / have any suggestion? 

Edited by Naevius

35 minutes ago, Naevius said:

Hi guys,

So glad I've found this thread.

Since yesterday, I used LB for android 1.4 on a Samsung Tab S3 connected to my Ipega 9083 via bluetooth with no issues.

Today I've launched the app and ALL OF A SUDDEN I am experiencing the same issue of @kevinlingley, this means it is impossible for me to scroll down in the game selection menu in LB. No issue at all in Android environment or Retroarch, meaning that I can scroll/navigate with pad/stick with no problem.

I tried to reset the controller and installing the latest beta version of LB for Android but no success. Did you guys solve the issue in the end / have any suggestion? 

If you have time, can you grab a gamepad tester app from the play store. Be curious to know how Android is registering the inputs of all the joysticks and buttons of your device.

Also, I'm guessing if you don't connect the controller LaunchBox scrolls just fine?

1 hour ago, faeran said:

If you have time, can you grab a gamepad tester app from the play store. Be curious to know how Android is registering the inputs of all the joysticks and buttons of your device.

Also, I'm guessing if you don't connect the controller LaunchBox scrolls just fine?

Yes, if I don't connect the controller everything works fine. The very strange things are:

1. As I mentioned before, the issue appeared all of a sudden today. Until yesterday, the controller worked properly and I was able to run and use LB for android flawlessly.

2. In some sub-menues of LB (for example the menu that appears clicking the 3 dots in the upper right corner of the screen) the controller does not have any scrolling issue. The most issue-impacted menu is the game selection once you choose the platform: once you go into it, I cannot scroll anymore.

Between today and yesterday I didn't change any setting / install any app so I cannot figure out what might have happened.

Edited by Naevius

So I also have the same issue I found yesterday but noticed it also happens intermittently in Retroarch as well. One thing that I found does restore functionality is just putting it to sleep using the power button, waiting 3 seconds then using the power button to turn it back on. I’m then able to use the controls to scroll again as normal. I only got my device on Tuesday though so haven’t had much time to test and find out what’s happening exactly.

• Like 1