LaunchBox Community Forums

Snes graphics

bwunk

So I have my machine setup with mame, sega , nes, Atari and snes. All but mame are using retro arch. But snes is the only one with just terrible graphics. Like Unplayable almost.  I have tried different cores and video output settings in reteoarch. Nothing helped. Any thoughts?

SNES looks great for a system that released 32 years ago, and also like any system ever made some games will look better than others, thats still the case today. You would need to define "terrible" and like suggested post some screenshots so that we can see if you have a actual technical issue, or you are just expecting a 32 year old system to look like a modern one. All of these old systems wre made when CRT TV's were still a thing, and the graphics were designed around that, using the native scanlines of all displays to mask the "blockiness" of the graphics somewhat, so these games do look somewhat different on a modern display that does not have these scanlines meaning you see the raw native image, probably also blown up on a very large 4K display when back in the day you were probablt playing on a 14 inch TV in the bedroom, or if you were lucky something like a 22 inch one in the living room.

Shaders may do what you want also, they will mess with the image output to give it various different looks. Personally i use one called the mega-bezel, which simulates the old school CRT TV's the games were designed to be ran on.

524551483_LegendofZeldaThe-ALinktothePast(USA)-220716-011040.png

ZeldaRemastered-220805-003756.png

1207659129_ZeroWing(Europe)-MaxValcanUnit(57040).png

Castlevania - Symphony of the Night (USA)-220824-151012.png

2052913291_TreasureIslandDizzy(Europe)-220917-124728.png

1736080872_MetroidSamusReturns-220723-193156.png

208428318_RidgeRacer(USA)-220824-150456.png

Edited by neil9000

22 hours ago, bwunk said:

I have tried different cores and video output settings in reteoarch. Nothing helped. Any thoughts?

Without a screenshot we can't give you any real answers, but that you say it happens with different SNES cores and no other Retroarch cores, suggests maybe you have a directory override  with some changed setting. 

after some looming it seems the sega and snes are very similar but when the same game is loaded with mame it’s way nicer.  So I will just default to mame if the game is across the platforms.  Do you guys have a preferred retro arch cores for the consoles?