LaunchBox Community Forums

Poll: COMMUNITY Theme Creator - Future releases?

COMMUNITY Theme Creator - Future releases  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Would you pay for future releases of the COMMUNITY Theme Creator?

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• y2guru changed the title to Poll: COMMUNITY Theme Creator - Future releases?

To me, that seems almost normal given the amount of work; and yet we do not talk about it but the after-sales service must be enormous!

For my part on 26 patrons I sometimes have trouble managing individual requests and yet I am almost full-time on the frontend so on a whole community...

I think the solution would be to try to find a compromise to offer a free version with some of the new features so continue the free updates to encourage the community to create and in addition to offer a more complete version

for the followers those who want to go further it would be the best of both worlds!

It's tricky because people are so used to having everything for free these days, but great power involves...

Uh sorry (lol) quality work deserves a contribution, a helping hand; It motivates and takes on a whole new dimension!

In any case you already have a contributor....;)

note for myself: think about making a contribution for viking again:p

Edited by PaDeMoNiuM

Donationware is the way to go. Giving access to all the tools for everyone in the community allows members to be able to create new themes without being held back with features that help with workflow. New themes possibly brings in new members (and could help keep existing users). New and creative themes helps keep everything fresh (on top of the other features that keep getting released of course). 

Edited by dvanx010
  • Like 1

If people can pay 75 for BigBox and 60 for emumovies (oof) Then surely they can throw you a few bucks. Or maybe not. That's already a lot. I feel like 10-20 bucks isn't bad but a free trial would be needed to let people try it. Donationware feels smoother on the communities end but you may end up getting less funds overall. But probably more themes will get created. It's a tough one. Either way your work is professional stuff that has a lot of value. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dan Patrick said:

If people can pay 75 for BigBox and 60 for emumovies (oof) Then surely they can throw you a few bucks. Or maybe not. That's already a lot. I feel like 10-20 bucks isn't bad but a free trial would be needed to let people try it. Donationware feels smoother on the communities end but you may end up getting less funds overall. But probably more themes will get created. It's a tough one. Either way your work is professional stuff that has a lot of value. 

Totally agree, (Damn I just tilted on the price: it has increased a lot! o_o I stayed on the 50 usd)

I think we shouldn't curb the community creation, that's really what make the salt of the community and the showcase .. The most complicated thing is not to leave anyone behind on the edge of the road and to find the right balance between the functionalities which will be available for all and those which will be reserved for the contributor (and the new because casually it is also necessary to seduce potential new contributors) This is where it risks being more complicated for Dave I think in terms of choice!

For my part, content resellers and parallel markets quickly helped me to choose! (lol) but on that side I don't think dave has too much to worry about...

(finally / I just read an article on AI.. skynet is not far 😛 it's going fast )

Edited by PaDeMoNiuM

There's a bit of software I use in my daily life (completely unrelated to all of this) that's called World Machine, it's a terrain generation software. I bring this up because it is (as far as I'm aware) also only developed by one person, so I feel like it's a good point of comparison. For World Machine, there are a few different tier options for purchasing the software. There's the "Community" tier which is free, the "Indie" tier which is kind of a midpoint for the prosumer, and then the "Professional" tier, which is significantly more expensive. The important thing to note is that there is no real difference in core functionality between the three versions, the main limitation on the tiers lower than Pro is output resolution. Free version has a low maximum output resolution, mid-tier has what I would call a "high enough" maximum output resolution, and the pro version does not have a maximum output resolution. I feel like this could be a good framework to go off of. I'm not sure limiting the possible output resolutions for a theme would be possible or advisable, but perhaps it could be something as simple as limiting the number of views available in a theme for different price levels. To me, that strikes a really nice balance between incentivizing people to purchase the software to build more complete themes while also not being cost prohibitive to people who maybe aren't fully invested in the process (yet).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...