LaunchBox Community Forums

Game Room

View File

Step into your Game Room and view a virtual collection showcasing your love of video games.  Each video game console or platform appears with an authentic looking video screen to match that look and feel.  It is paired with a set of classic fonts to complete the experience.

• Requires BigBox 13.1 or higher to properly function.
  • Designed to support 16:9, 21:9, and 4:3 aspect ratios.
  • Unique views for 54 platforms with game videos, game 3D/2D box art, device packaging, and game cart images.
  • Consoles and PCs are paired with TVs and Monitors from the same decade they were released.
  • "Wall View" for looking at game boxes on shelves is accompanied by platform/game logos and image of the original console packaging.
  • Metadata showing Publisher, Developer, User Score, ESRB Rating, Genre, Play Mode, Region, and Platform Description.
  • Two different platform wheel views to choose from.
  • Full Playlist support, so the video size, platform image, and other relevant media will change to match each individual game.
  • Easily customizable by replacing \Themes\GameRoom\Media\Background\background.jpg with one of several included backgrounds or your own custom one!

Theme was created using the COMMUNITY Theme Creator by @y2guru - HUGE thank you, he's responsible for the dynamic video size logic.  Project files attached for those brave souls wishing to customize further.  Requires version 2.5.4 or higher.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

It's really good mate. I'm just wondering how did you manage to split the DS and 3DS video snaps up and put them in each screen of the DS? Really good idea that I thought about at one point but didn't know if it was even possible. Brilliant theme!

1 hour ago, Madhead said:

It's really good mate. I'm just wondering how did you manage to split the DS and 3DS video snaps up and put them in each screen of the DS? Really good idea that I thought about at one point but didn't know if it was even possible. Brilliant theme!

Thanks! I had to bug y2guru a bunch on the split video trick. If you use the community theme editor he made and download the project files I posted you'll see how it's done. I have the original game video taking up real estate on the top screen, with a mask on it that crops it to *just* the top screen. The bottom screen uses what's referred to as a mirror video. It's supposed to duplicate the original game video, just without sound. So that's being used along with a different mask to crop it to *just* the bottom screen.  it's totally dependent on the game videos being built this specific ways, with the videos placed on top of each other like that.

Fun fact, the original intent behind the "mirror video" function was to be used to show reflections on an arcade machine. So I'm leveraging it for a completely different use here. There is unfortunately a performance hit the overall theme takes in BigBox the more mirror videos you use, and you'll see that manifest in a delay between top and bottom videos rendering or between audio and video playing. I'm using the mirror video effect not just in NDS/3DS but also for Virtual Boy and Vectrex I believe, which has an overlay that's difficult recreate in emulation.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/13/2023 at 9:03 PM, BMovieBen said:

Thanks! I had to bug y2guru a bunch on the split video trick. If you use the community theme editor he made and download the project files I posted you'll see how it's done. I have the original game video taking up real estate on the top screen, with a mask on it that crops it to *just* the top screen. The bottom screen uses what's referred to as a mirror video. It's supposed to duplicate the original game video, just without sound. So that's being used along with a different mask to crop it to *just* the bottom screen.  it's totally dependent on the game videos being built this specific ways, with the videos placed on top of each other like that.

Fun fact, the original intent behind the "mirror video" function was to be used to show reflections on an arcade machine. So I'm leveraging it for a completely different use here. There is unfortunately a performance hit the overall theme takes in BigBox the more mirror videos you use, and you'll see that manifest in a delay between top and bottom videos rendering or between audio and video playing. I'm using the mirror video effect not just in NDS/3DS but also for Virtual Boy and Vectrex I believe, which has an overlay that's difficult recreate in emulation.

Sorry for the late reply mate. I have since learned how to use the theme creator and have used the video mirror to do my own DS and 3DS themes for Coverbox. All is well apart from what you mentioned, the performance hit is quite heavy using the mirror. There are other animations in the theme so the performance dip becomes noticable as they are choppy when the video is playing. I dunno if this will be optimised in future versions of Theme Creator, or if there is some xmal edit you can make to speed things up, but as of now it's asthetically pleasing albeit the video screens are out of sync.

I have a fairly old laptop with quad core 4 thread intel, I wonder if a powerful PC would power through that issue or if it's inherent in the programs code and no matter how fast your PC, those performance issues will still be present, know what I mean? Any way, thanks for telling me this. Because of you I now know how to use the theme editor, and I love it.

• Game On 1