LaunchBox Community Forums

Movie Scraper (Reboot 2023)

Movie Scraper (Reboot 2023)

View File

This is a reboot of the Movie Scraper Plugin by @Slipstream.

The intent of this plugin is to scrape metadata and media for movies you’ve imported into LaunchBox.

Q & A:

Why use LaunchBox as your digital movie library?

Because you can.

What metadata is imported?

• Title
  • Notes (Movie Plot)
  • Release Date
  • Publisher (Production Studio i.e. “Marvel Studios”)
  • Genre(s)
  • Series (Collection i.e. “The Avengers Collection”)
  • Video Url (YouTube movie trailer)

What media is imported?

• Box – Front
  • Banner
  • Clear Logo
  • Disc
  • Fanart – Background
  • Arcade – Marquee

Can it import media I already have?

Yes.  When importing media, the plugin will 1st look in the same folder the movie file is located.

Do I need to have my own personal API keys for both TMDB and FanArt.TV?

Yes.

However, when running Setup the first time, “temporary” API keys are automatically inserted.  For now, they work. But for best, continued results, obtain and enter in your own keys. (See below)

Are both API keys required to scape?

Yes.  If either of the keys are missing or invalid, the plugin will exit.

Do the Movie Titles [in LaunchBox] need to be named a certain way before scraping?

Yes.  The Titles should be the name of the movie without any extras.

• The Avengers will work.
  • The Avengers 2012 will not work.*
  • The.Avengers.2012.1080p.BluRay.x264.DTS-FGT will not work.*

*No.  If you have a valid Information (NFO) file in the same folder as the movie, the plugin will parse the file to get the proper Title and movie ID#.

• The Avengers 2012 will work.
  • The.Avengers.2012.1080p.BluRay.x264.DTS-FGT will also work.

Can I scrape more than one movie at a time?

Yes.  Select multiple (or all) movies in the Platform, right-click and select Scrape Movie.

• You may want to test with just one movie or only a couple at first.

Installation:

1. Download the zip file
  2. Unblock it by right-clicking the file, select Properties, check “Unblock” and click OK.
    • (Alternately, just use 7Zip to open the downloaded file)
  3. Copy the folder inside the zip into ../LaunchBox/Plugins/
    • i.e.    D:\LaunchBox\Plugins\MovieScraper2023\MovieScraper.dll

Setup:

1. Start LaunchBox
  2. Click Tools and select “Movie Scraper Setup”
    1. Enter in your API keys
    2. Click Verify Keys to confirm they are working
    3. (Optional) Check “Automatically select 1st Movie when multiple results are found”
    4. Click Save

Use:

1. Select one or movies you have imported into LaunchBox, then right-click on one of them.
  2. Select Scrape Movie
    • A “Please Stand By” window will appear indicating scraping is in progress.
    • If a movie has more than one ‘close match’, a window will appear where you can select the correct movie.  
      • Unless during Setup, you checked “Automatically select 1st Movie when multiple results are found”.
  3. Scraping is complete when “Please Stand By” disappears.
  4. When completed, press F5 to refresh the Box-Front images for the selected movie(s).  Click on a different movie and then back on one just scraped to refresh the images in the right side-bar.

Getting your personal API keys:  (both are free to get)

TMDB

A TMDB user account is required to get an API key. Once created, log in and go to Profile - Overview - Edit Profile. Go down to API to get your “api_key (v3 auth)”. http://www.themoviedb.org

FanArt.TV

Register an account at https://fanart.tv/. Once registered, go to https://fanart.tv/get-an-api-key/ to find your personal key

The process when scraping:

1. Get the API keys from APIfile.xml and verify the API keys are valid
    • If either API key returns “Unauthorized”, the plugin will exit
  2. Check if the movie has an NFO file (in the same folder as the video file). If so…
    • Get/store the movies ID#.  (Can be either TMDB or IMDB)
    • Set the ‘games’ Title
  3. Check for existing image files in the same folder as the video file. If any exist, copy them into LB
    • Image files need to have the same name as the video file, plus -imageType.png (or .jpg depending on the image type)
  4. Search TMDB using ‘Title’.  (If an NFO file exists, search by the movie ID# from step 2 above)
    • If no matches, “The movie could not be found.” [popup message] will appear.
      • When scraping in bulk, a popup will appear at the end of all scraping instead, listing the movies not found
    • If there are multiple matches, a window will appear to have you select the correct movie.  (Unless you chose to “Automatically select 1st Movie” during Setup)
    • If there’s only 1 match (or when a movie was manually selected), set the movies:
      • Title, Notes, Release Date, Publisher, Genre(s), Series and Video Url (link to movie trailer)
  5. Download images from TMDB and FanArt.TV. Download images only if the image type doesn’t already exist (i.e. local images weren’t found)

Order of precedence for importing images:

Local images:
Box-Front
Banner
Clear Logo
Disc
Fanart-Background
Arcade-Marquee

TMDB:
Box-Front
Fanart-Background

FanArt.TV:
Box-Front
Banner
Clear Logo
Disc
Fanart-Background
Arcade-Marquee

Big thanks to @Slipstream for the original code and @jayjay for his update.  

As always, all comments and suggestions are welcomed.

• Like 3

Wow couldn't be better timing for myself! I JUST got my setup complete on the gaming side after building a SFF HTPC for the living room. Once I was happy with how games were working fine I moved focus to media like TV shows and movies and realized it was going to be just as time consuming to setup. Since I spent so long piecing together the games portion of all this, I was immediately dreading setting up TV shows and movies big time. But this at least covers the movie part! Working fine for my use case so far!

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
19 minutes ago, grichl91 said:

I'm not very techy but, i've got everything set up. When i go to use it, it's only importing movie dexcription etc. No media or covers. Any fix for that?

In the plugins folder, there's a subfolder called \Logs\.  Sometimes the most recent log file (when the error occurred) may shed some light.  Can you share that file?  (drag and drop the file rather than copy and paste)

7 hours ago, grichl91 said:

LogFile 2023-12-15 22-55-34.txt The odd thing is, I've checked the log and it says they were downloaded but don't see them. I'll open the video and hit edit to check for media and nothing is there. Tried refreshing launchbox etc, thanks for the support.

After downloading, the images will typically appear after clicking a different 'game' (movie) then clicking back on the one you just downloaded for.  A poor man's alternative to automagically refreshing the images on the fly.  Alternately, with 'that movie' selected, press F5.

Since the log says images were downloaded (and even some were skipped because they 'already existed'), look inside your Images folder.

/LaunchBox/Images/[name_of_your_movie_platform]/Box - Front/[name_of_movie].png

5 hours ago, uberrr said:

Thanks for this. I wonder if a scraper for book/magazine/comic books exists...🤔 Edit: Any way to also scrape Box - Back and Box - Spine? Feels super weird without them

You're welcome.

I've never looked to see if someone made a plugin to scrape book/magazine/comic books.  That would need to be scraped from different sites than for movies.

Box - Back and Box - Spine:  If TMDB or FanArt.TV has those available, that's something that could be looked into adding.  If you see that either of them has those, let me know. ;) 

• 3 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, artician said:

Hi.  How does this manage seasons of shows, or multiple episodes?

Sorry. It doesn't.  It's a scraper for scraping Movie metadata and media.  Unless TMDB has tv show series data and information, it'd need to get information from a different API.  If I added another API to also do tv series, I'd have to change to title too. ;) 

8 minutes ago, JoeViking245 said:

Sorry. It doesn't.  It's a scraper for scraping Movie metadata and media.  Unless TMDB has tv show series data and information, it'd need to get information from a different API.  If I added another API to also do tv series, I'd have to change to title too. ;) 

Awesome.  Thank you for such a great tool regardless!

• Like 1

On 1/4/2024 at 7:37 PM, artician said:

Hi.  How does this manage seasons of shows, or multiple episodes?

I just downloaded this and am looking forward to using it tonight.  Been wanting to put my video media into launchbox for a long time.

Are you wanting to put TV shows into LaunchBox? When this plugin came out it inspired me to make a tool to scrape TVDB so I can add TV episodes much easier into LaunchBox. It grabs an episode synopsis, release date, etc related info, an episode specific image, and a season specific image for each episode. I haven't shared it on here since I figured it was such an outlier and personal use case, but if you're interested I'd certainly be fine with sharing it. Let me know if it sounds like something you want to use

On 1/5/2024 at 12:49 AM, JoeViking245 said:

TMDB does have tv shows, I use it for both now in kodi.

• Thanks 1

On 1/6/2024 at 6:54 AM, Rlad said:

TMDB does have tv shows, I use it for both now in kodi.

Thank you for providing detailed information about the Movie Scraper Plugin reboot. This plugin appears to be a useful tool for organizing and enhancing movie metadata and media within LaunchBox.