LaunchBox Community Forums

Glitch/Bug with update 13.9: "(Inner Exception) A procedure imported by 'E:\Jeux\EMULATEURS\LaunchbBox - BigBox\LaunchBox\ThirdParty\Chromium\CefSharp.Core.Runtime.dll' could not be loaded"

vince16

I'm now getting this, whether I try to start Launchbox or Bigbox, right after downloading update 13.9 this very night (over here, for Europe). It used to work fine before, including yesterday with update 13.8. Here's the full error text: 

"(Inner Exception)

A procedure imported by 'E:\Jeux\EMULATEURS\LaunchbBox - BigBox\LaunchBox\ThirdParty\Chromium\CefSharp.Core.Runtime.dll' could not be loaded.

App:     
Version: 13.9
Theme:   NOT SET
Type:    System.IO.FileLoadException
Site:    Void LoadFromPath(IntPtr, System.String, System.String, System.Runtime.CompilerServices.ObjectHandleOnStack)
Source:  System.Private.CoreLib

at System.Runtime.Loader.AssemblyLoadContext.LoadFromPath(IntPtr ptrNativeAssemblyLoadContext, String ilPath, String niPath, ObjectHandleOnStack retAssembly)
   at System.Runtime.Loader.AssemblyLoadContext.LoadFromAssemblyPath(String assemblyPath)
   at System.Reflection.Assembly.LoadFile(String path)
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.Desktop.Program.<>c.PublishIdentifiableCandidate(Object )
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.Desktop.Program.<>c.PrepareStatelessTests(Object sender, ResolveEventArgs e)
   at System.Runtime.Loader.AssemblyLoadContext.InvokeResolveEvent(ResolveEventHandler eventHandler, RuntimeAssembly assembly, String name)
   at System.Runtime.Loader.AssemblyLoadContext.OnAssemblyResolve(RuntimeAssembly assembly, String assemblyFullName)

(Outer Exception)

A procedure imported by 'CefSharp.Core.Runtime, Version=117.2.40.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=40c4b6fc221f4138' could not be loaded.

App:     
Version: 13.9
Theme:   NOT SET
Type:    System.IO.FileLoadException
Site:    Void .ctor()
Source:  CefSharp.Core

at CefSharp.CefSettingsBase..ctor()
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.Desktop.App..ctor()
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.Desktop.Program.Main(String[] args)

Recent Log:

22:25:06 Exception"

I have no idea what that refers to. Can anyone help me get back into Launchbox/Bigbox, please?

Launchbox Bigbox Inner Exception.png

51 minutes ago, sirgubster9 said:

Same error here. Just updated 2 minutes ago. Help!

Good to know I'm not alone. Here's hoping someone can help us. If someone could tell us at least how to fall back on version 13.8 it would be better than nothing because I can't run  LB/BB at all over here...

27 minutes ago, vince16 said:

Good to know I'm not alone. Here's hoping someone can help us. If someone could tell us at least how to fall back on version 13.8 it would be better than nothing because I can't run  LB/BB at all over here...

In launchbox there is a folder called updates and inside that folder is previous version installers including 13.8. I installed that version over this version and I'm up and running again. I think this might be a windows 7 issue which is what I'm running and im guessing so are you. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, sirgubster9 said:

In launchbox there is a folder called updates and inside that folder is previous version installers including 13.8. I installed that version over this version and I'm up and running again. I think this might be a windows 7 issue which is what I'm running and im guessing so are you. 

Yep, Windows 7 64 bit user over here. Not too many people use this OS anymore, so I guess that's why there's not a lot of people complaining in the forum. 

I tried simply deleting update 13.9 from that folder, but it broke LB/BB even more, so I restored it. How do you fall back on update 13.8 exactly? Mind explaining that?

5 hours ago, vince16 said:

Yep, Windows 7 64 bit user over here. Not too many people use this OS anymore, so I guess that's why there's not a lot of people complaining in the forum. 

I tried simply deleting update 13.9 from that folder, but it broke LB/BB even more, so I restored it. How do you fall back on update 13.8 exactly? Mind explaining that?

I went to the launchbox folder and I side that folder is an updates folder. Inside that folder is a whole bunch of install files for previous versions including 13.8. I just double clicked 13.8 and installed it. That was pretty much it I believe. You can install it directly over your current version. Let me know if you have that folder and if it worked for ya. 

• Thanks 1

I'm sorry guys, but Microsoft (and other third party libraries) are making it near impossible to continue supporting Windows 7 (or 8, or 8.1) going forward. Eventually we have to update third party libraries to make sure that they don't have security issues, and sometimes it does break older versions of Windows, which is apparently what happened here. We updated to a newer version of Chromium (we didn't really have a choice on that one).

3 hours ago, sirgubster9 said:

I went to the launchbox folder and I side that folder is an updates folder. Inside that folder is a whole bunch of install files for previous versions including 13.8. I just double clicked 13.8 and installed it. That was pretty much it I believe. You can install it directly over your current version. Let me know if you have that folder and if it worked for ya. 

3 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

I'm sorry guys, but Microsoft (and other third party libraries) are making it near impossible to continue supporting Windows 7 (or 8, or 8.1) going forward. Eventually we have to update third party libraries to make sure that they don't have security issues, and sometimes it does break older versions of Windows, which is apparently what happened here. We updated to a newer version of Chromium (we didn't really have a choice on that one).

But the thing is, Launchbox/Bigbox keeps downloading the 13.9 update in the background, AFAIK there's no way to disable it, and when I switch to Launchbox or Bigbox it tries to install update 13.9, so I stop it from installing it, but then Launchbox or Bigbox don't start anymore... The only way I can start it now is to reinstall 13.8 update from the updates folder...every single time.

Surely there has to be a way to close the lid for Windows 7 users...? I can cope with not having the new LB/BB updates for as long as I stay on Windows 7, but not having to start LB/BB by reinstalling update 13.8 on top of everything every time. There's got to be another way...

4 minutes ago, vince16 said:

But the thing is, Launchbox/Bigbox keeps downloading the 13.9 update in the background, AFAIK there's no way to disable it, and when I switch to Launchbox or Bigbox it tries to install update 13.9, so I stop it from installing it, but then Launchbox or Bigbox don't start anymore... The only way I can start it now is to reinstall 13.8 update from the updates folder...every single time.

Surely there has to be a way to close the lid for Windows 7 users...? I can cope with not having the new LB/BB updates for as long as I stay on Windows 7, but not having to start LB/BB by reinstalling update 13.8 on top of everything every time. There's got to be another way...

You can go into the settings on launchbox and turn off the automatic downloads. So instill 13.8 and open it up and then immediately go and turn off automatic downloads. Atleast that's what I did. But my system always asked if I wanted to download. I've never had it just automatically do it.  I did all this through launchbox. Then once I was setup I started up bigbox. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, sirgubster9 said:

You can go into the settings on launchbox and turn off the automatic downloads. So instill 13.8 and open it up and then immediately go and turn off automatic downloads. Atleast that's what I did. But my system always asked if I wanted to download. I've never had it just automatically do it.  I did all this through launchbox. Then once I was setup I started up bigbox. 

You can turn off checking for updates on startup (same options screen as turning off automatic update downloads), and that will allow you to stay on 13.8 without being prompted or automatically updated.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

So Launchbox is going to require Windows 10 to run eventually? 😕 Major bummer too as I had bought Lifetime-license on my Windows 8.1-laptop this year,..

On that end 13.8 won't have Retroachievements-support, that's gonna kind of suck from here on out.

Edited by daddu3
  • Unusual Gem 1

7 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

This would have been nice to know a week ago before buying lifetime.  I now will not be able to take advantage of any updates … I highly recommend others refrain from purchasing unless they want to keep updating computers.  

• Unusual Gem 1

If only you guys @ unbroken software could find some way to reenable retroachievements support in a future update at least, one that would use only the same assets as update 13.8 for us folks now officially stuck in the past. It should be possible since I have (fond) memories of playing my roms with Retroarch from Launchbox and unlocking plenty of achievements just a few updates ago. I don't know what killed the functionality, or why...

Edited by vince16

By the way, does anyone know of a way to upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 or 11? From within Windows I mean, not by formatting my whole f*cking hard drive and buying the disc and spending hours reinstalling the whole thing. A way to update Windows 7 much like some softwares like LB/BB do, whether for free or at a fee?

8 hours ago, vince16 said:

By the way, does anyone know of a way to upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 or 11? From within Windows I mean, not by formatting my whole f*cking hard drive and buying the disc and spending hours reinstalling the whole thing. A way to update Windows 7 much like some softwares like LB/BB do, whether for free or at a fee?

You don't need to format to upgrade Windows, at least not for several versions of windows. Just create the USB boot drive and choose the "upgrade this machine option" and not the one that says "wipe and reinstall" or similar wording.

• Thanks 1

hi, I just downloaded this for the first time today.

I'm also running windows 7. I don't have older versions in my updates folder so how can I download 13.8?

Would recommend adding a separate link for first time users running windows 7 so they don't give up on this tool like I almost did (not that I've made up my mind)...

• Unusual Gem 1

15 hours ago, neil9000 said:

You don't need to format to upgrade Windows, at least not for several versions of windows. Just create the USB boot drive and choose the "upgrade this machine option" and not the one that says "wipe and reinstall" or similar wording.

I found a copy of Windows 10 Enterprise that says you can't upgrade from an older version of Windows and need to do a fresh install though...

3 minutes ago, RuHRoW said:

hi, I just downloaded this for the first time today.

I'm also running windows 7. I don't have older versions in my updates folder so how can I download 13.8?

Would recommend adding a separate link for first time users running windows 7 so they don't give up on this tool like I almost did (not that I've made up my mind)...

I suppose I could give you my  13.8 file that's in my "Updates" folder, but I'm not sure at all that's enough to install Launchbox entirely. But  I would be very surprised unbroken software don't let you choose which version of Launchbox you would like to install.