LaunchBox Community Forums

Features and fixes for 2024

Retrofrogg

Here is my current list of feature requests and fixes for Launchbox (not BigBox). Just getting the list straight and sharing some ideas. Most are relatively small tweaks or additions, but some are bigger features. Many of these are on the Launchbox BitBucket feature request page, so go vote for what you would like!

The first few are the bigger features:

1. ROM manager support - add rom manager functionality to allow Launchbox to read a DAT for a platform and compare it to the roms you have (teaming up with RomVault would be a way to go)

2. Expand the platform tree functionality with the ability to show more data - e.g. year of release

3. Some kind of theme creation app for Launchbox, like there exists for BigBox, or an easier way to edit Launchbox themes

4. Better multi-monitor support

Then some relating to the 3D model box feature:

5. Add more 3D models, e.g. cassette for C64, CPC etc

6. Add support for all 4 spine images

7. Add a horizontal rotation lock option when rotating the 3D box

8. Fix the 3D box rotation stutter problem

9. Ability to add a background to the 3D box when viewing full screen

10. Ability to disable the 3D box on a per-platform basis (e.g. for MAME)

Some relating to artwork and views

11. Ability to generate the static 3D box image from the 3D model

12. Allow more image types for platforms - e.g. controller, box (front), box (back), etc

13. Allow documents to be added to platforms - e.g. manuals

14. Ability to choose images shown in carousel without having to edit the general image priorities - with ability to set per platform

15. When viewing images fullscreen, have the option to show the thumbnails along the bottom

Finally some general improvements

16. Ability to add custom metadata fields for platforms, like you can for games

17. Have categories for platform videos - e.g. video snap, advert, etc

18. Allow HTML editing of the text in the game notes section

19. Allow metadata fields with hyperlinks

20. Add AND/OR qualifiers for the auto-playlist rules

21. Ability to save different view settings per platform (e.g. different image sizes etc)

22. When scraping from the Launchbox database or Emumoves, show thumbnails of the image options

23. For the music player, show available tracks and have a transport bar

Added 01.01.24

24. Keep the music playing when a 3D box is maximised

25. Some kind of visual representation of the root of the currently selected item in the platform tree. For example, when a bunch of platforms & playlists are open in the platform tree (e.g. whilst in platform category view), it's not immediately clear which category you are in without visually tracing back up the tree. A box or similar around the currently selected item and its parents would do it. 

Edited by Retrofrogg
  • Like 5
  • Game On 2

My favorite requests would be the translation of the notes into other languages (using for example the screenscraper translations) and a greater integration with retroarch, giving you to choose for example the proportions of the screen or the different shaders for each platform. Thank you for your great work. Happy new year.

• Like 3

Would still love a 'random game' function in Big Box. Honestly seems pretty surprising there isn't one already, since it's a built-in feature of the regular LaunchBox. I've been using the Random Game Selector plugin by Grila, but that doesn't work well with all views unfortunately. And the attract mode wheelspin feature isn't exactly random either, from what I can see. Especially when randomizing from a list of over 3000 games.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/3/2024 at 6:24 PM, mlsaunders1985 said:

Would still love a 'random game' function in Big Box. Honestly seems pretty surprising there isn't one already, since it's a built-in feature of the regular LaunchBox. I've been using the Random Game Selector plugin by Grila, but that doesn't work well with all views unfortunately. And the attract mode wheelspin feature isn't exactly random either, from what I can see. Especially when randomizing from a list of over 3000 games.

I second this guy above! ^^^

Mr Saunders, is that the plugin that adds "Random Game" to the options in BigBox and you have to go "back and forward" into it to get next game?

• 2 weeks later...

I only have 2 requests for Launchbox going forward and every time I mention them I fail to get traction, but I'll try again =\

1) Ability to sort the images, or have them displayed in a specific order in the game-details section. Sorting by date modified etc. I tend to add the screenshots of the game I play and they all show up shuffled, it's a shame because it would be so cool to be able to go back to a game campaign and relive it in order.

2) Let the music keep playing while viewing these images fullscreen: currently if you want the music to keep playing, you need to disable auto-play, if you don't the music stops the moment you open an image..this is again a shame because it would be very cool to be able to browse the aforementioned screenshot diary while the music is playing without having to turn off auto-play.

I don't know where to start writing plugins for LB, but if someone thinks this would be doable with a custom plugin, let me know down here and I'll look into it because this has been bugging me for years!

• Like 1