LaunchBox Community Forums

Fundamental Theme 1.2.0

(3 reviews)

10 Screenshots

About This File

Fundamental is a clean theme that focuses on big artwork. Large, high quality covers are recommended to get the best visual appearance.

*********************************************************************************************************************

A couple of notes about this theme:

- After unzipping, you have to unblock the DLL that contains the font (in the plugin folder).

-Requires the font Bebas Neue, included in the root theme folder. Install it before running BigBox.

-Any display scaling above or below 100% is likely to cause alignment issues with some theme elements.

-Because of the way the videos and their rounded corner mask re-size based on aspect ratio, you have to use WMP with this theme. VLC aligning in BigBox is horribly buggy at the moment and it doesn't work with the way things are accomplished in this theme.

-I realize I could have accomplished my UI background files in pure XAML. I tested this and it decreased the theme's performance substantially, so I reverted back to using the images.

-This theme is based around high quality vertical covers (1534x2100) for all platforms and game boxes (yes, even Super Nintendo and Nintendo 64). A good collection of them can be found at http://www.thecoverproject.net/. The theme will work with horizontal covers, it just won't look as intended.

-Background opacity for the text based views is changed in the BigBox "Options" menu. A good setting range is 75-90 percent depending on your display.

-I've included 12 custom platform banners that I made based on each systems game boxes. I may make a few more, but don't count on it. Be creative and make the ones you're missing yourself.

What's New in Version 1.2.0   See changelog

Released

Fundamental Changelog:

v1.2.0 (08/01/2017):
- Fixed DPI scaling issues (tested from 100% up to 175%)
- Removed corner radius mask from all videos to negate the need to use WMP
- Added transition selectors back to everything that doesn't use the corner radius mask
- Embedded the font file so users no longer need to install it on their machine
- Added two more hq vertical platform banners (tg16 and master system)

v1.1.0 (01/28/2017):
- Added PlatformWheel3FiltersView
- Added HorizontalWheel2GamesView
- Added HorizontalWheel1GamesView

v1.0.1 (01/27/2017):
- Changed all "Selected*." tags to "Active*." 
- Tidied up code on a few views to fix some minor alignment and sizing mistakes

v1.0.0 (01/25/2017):
- Initial release

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Fantastic theme, would be by absolute favorite honestly.

The lack of VLC support really hurts though.

I get why you couldn't, but the unfortunate downside is that WMP struggles with certain types of video format- often used in most video media file packs. The result is you can expect audio w/ black screen problems regardless of what codecs you have installed.

Edited by Echorion

is there anyway around this? this is the only theme i've found that i like but the black videos are annoying as hell :(

As much as I love this theme (one of the best by the way), there's one major issue/gripe I have. The clear logos in the platforms screen are not really "clear". They often have very noticeable  black boxes around them which ruins the simplicity and overall fluidness of the design. Is there any way to fix this @Grila

6 minutes ago, bundangdon said:

As much as I love this theme (one of the best by the way), there's one major issue/gripe I have. The clear logos in the platforms screen are not really "clear". They often have very noticeable  black boxes around them which ruins the simplicity and overall fluidness of the design. Is there any way to fix this @Grila

Hmm, you mean on the wheel or are you using clear logos where the cover art it supposed to be? If it's the latter, it was because of the way I had to implement to corner radius on the covers so it worked no matter what ratio they were. If you look in the forum thread, I uploaded a fix for @neil9000 a month or so ago that fixes the issue.

• Thanks 1

Hi! Fundamental is my new Theme! I love it, thanks for your work. Here's some feedback.

I like very much vertical wheel 1 and 3 for platforms. What I do is that I remove the banners and I put customs (16:9) pictures (from Emulation Station) to the "Device" folder. The only thing that is missing from those 2 views is the platform details. I would actually rather have the details than the description. And while were at it, have the description where the banner is. Or basically, have the "Platforms Text with details" layout, but with a logo wheel instead of a list.

As for the game list, I use Text with Details. Very neat, but I wouldnt mind to see a few small gameplay screenshot somewhere, maybe under the game description or the game box. Basically, "Game Wheel 2" but with a list rather than logo wheel. Another minor thing. under the game title, you see the "Platform - region" line. It's fine until you go to a game that doesnt have metadata for "region". In that case, you get "Plaform -" with the "-" still visible. I mean, you can already have the region displayed in the game details right under there, so you could do away with that arbitrary parameter entirely.

Now that I think of it, is there an easy way to only swap "logo wheel" to "text list" and vice versa and keep the rest of the layout intact?

Finally, how about some color options?

Keep up the great work!

Edited by Iscariath

Hi all, love this theme. Just wanted to check if it's possible to get the logos that appear on the top left when you select a game (1st image), to appear in place of the game names on the side bar (2nd image). It's my only grip with this theme, it's pretty much perfect for me otherwise. 

image.thumb.png.94036ef0a39aaa997d15c92e3b31a12c.pngimage.thumb.png.8937cc0696427805a129ae95cbb5bbec.png

Edited by WarrenFielder

The view in your second image is the Text List View, and it is just that, a text list. If you want clear logos instead of text you will need to cycle to a different view in the theme that supports clear logos.

43 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

The view in your second image is the Text List View, and it is just that, a text list. If you want clear logos instead of text you will need to cycle to a different view in the theme that supports clear logos.

Thanks for your help, I have what I wanted now :D
image.thumb.png.7441dfcabbc2e19f178780ec166cecb8.png

• Like 1

The clear logos somehow don't appear in the wheel even though they are working in the vertical wheel. Can anybody help me? It drives me nuts

screen.png

Just now, Acromar said:

The clear logos somehow don't appear in the wheel even though they are working in the vertical wheel. Can anybody help me? It drives me nuts

screen.png

Could be you have a different image type specified on that platform. Set a button/key to switch image type and cycle it to see if it shows.

8 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

Could be you have a different image type specified on that platform. Set a button/key to switch image type and cycle it to see if it shows.

Workes perfectly fine. Thank you so much!

• Like 1